You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "fluffy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 18th 2011

Children: Our miracle baby is on it's way!

Monday, March 14th 2011, 7:23pm

Progesterone & aspirin

Hi, I'm new to this area of FZ but am about to start my first IVF cycle. I'm doing the short protocol. I have been previously prescribed 400mg progesterone support (Cyclogest pessaries) during the luteal phase and 75mg aspirin per day by my nhs fertility doc. My new fertility doc has told me that I must not take the progesterone during this luteal phase. I'm just past ovulation and used one of the pessaries last night (she only told me to not take them today). Firstly, would taking one (or two if I take one tonight) this cycle affect my IVF cycle? And secondly, what do you think the reason is for not taking them this cycle (she didn't give a reason).? I'm concerned that if I stop/don't take them now then that will affect my chances for this month (we tried this month as you never know - a miracle could happen - and as I'm on the short protocol I won't be starting IVF drugs until after my AF). Would progesterone levels this month really affect the next month (IVF cycle).?

Also she has told me to stop taking aspirin as soon as I start my stimms... She did say I could start taking again after ET but I thought that lots of women take aspirin during stimms and before EC...? Any advise on this would be great.

:S

AMH 8.4 (me=36). 6 cycles clomid. Immune issues.
1st IVF cycle April 11 - canx due to endo cyst.
2nd IVF cycle with immune meds May 11 :BFP: [zx076] seen 5wk5d, 8wk5d, 12wk
"There can be miracles when you believe"
My diary

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, March 14th 2011, 7:46pm

Aspirin can affect ovulation. Also progesterone can interfere with ovulation. You could ask your clinic and I am sure they will explain more. You need to follow exactly what you have been told to do and take only the drugs they have given you and take them as directed. You mustn't self medicate. If you are not sure ring the clinic. Good luck with your cycle babydust

• "fluffy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 18th 2011

Children: Our miracle baby is on it's way!

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 2:31pm

Hi Maria, thanks. My problem is though that my clinic is in Italy (where we live at the moment) and there is a huge language barrier problem! My Italian isn't good enough for a phone conversation. My doctor speaks English but it is limited and to be honest I don't think she'd want to explain it to me anyway! I've been trying to communicate with her via email but have received some very abrupt and rude replies. She was also quite rude and dismissive in our last consultation and didn't really want to explain anything or have to answer questions! But anyway... as I live here I have no choice but to go with her... xxx

AMH 8.4 (me=36). 6 cycles clomid. Immune issues.
1st IVF cycle April 11 - canx due to endo cyst.
2nd IVF cycle with immune meds May 11 :BFP: [zx076] seen 5wk5d, 8wk5d, 12wk
"There can be miracles when you believe"
My diary

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 6:10pm

I am Italian and I speak fluently Italian so I am quite happy to translate. Normally doctors in Italy explain things really well and I find them very polite. She probably hasn't got enough Engish to help her bed manners or to explain science to you. She may come across rude and abrupt as English is not her first language either. You will have to try and find a way to communicate as IVF is a quite complicated journey and you need to be able to talk and understand what they are saying.

The reason why she doesn't want to take progesterone, as I said is that if it's too high at the start of your next a/f it may affect your other sex hormones, which in turn can affect your IVF cycle. Aspirin can stop ovulation so if you taking while stimming it can adversely affect it. You should not take these and do what the clinic you are having IVF with tells you. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

Hope this helps.
:xxx:

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:54am

I know this is an old thread but I've only just seen it.

I have never heard this thing about not taking progesterone before treatment. I took it before my lastest attempt to induce my period because I have PCOS and my periods are very unpredictable. The strange thing is though that my peroid started the day after I stopped taking the progesterone wheras usually it takes between 3 and 5 days to start so I think I had ovulated naturally and would have started then anyway.

I was also doing short protocol so started stimming during my period (i.e a couple of days after stopping the progesterone.) I wonder what impact that would have had on my cycle. We only got 2 poor quality embryos which were only 4 cells on day 3 so it is not looking good for this cycle.

My OTD is 1st August which is also the day my clinic closes for a whole month so I will have no chance of speaking to anyone at the clinic for a while :-(