You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rockchick" started this thread

Reg: Jan 29th 2009

Children: Our gorgeous son was born 16/7/2010

Tuesday, March 1st 2011, 8:05pm

How long should we ttc naturally before a second try at ivf?

Hi everyone,
Dh and myself are really lucky to have a gorgeous son who was born July 2010 after three years of unexplained infertility. We had the majority of tests done which showed nothing that would explain our inability to conceive. I had months of taking clomid which was unsuccessful but our first try at ivf resulted in our baby boy. :D We have recently been discussing trying again for another baby as we had always wished for two children (this was before we knew we had fertility problems) and are going to ttc naturally. The main reason for this is that we don't have any frozen embryos but also we still don't know why we struggled to conceive previously. Also, we would like to just give it a try as many people have said that it is possible to conceive naturally after ivf. I was wondering if anyone could advise on how long we should give trying naturally before we go back to the ivf clinic to discuss a second attempt?

Oct/Nov 09 - 1st IVF :BFP:
Jan 2012 - Short Protocol ICSI :BFP:
7 wk scan 2/3/12 One [zx076] seen

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, March 1st 2011, 8:29pm

Hi Rockchick, congrats on your little boy!

I think that there's no right/wrong answer to this - sorry to be unhelpful!

But really, the answer is however long you feel comfortable in waiting. Some factors that you might want to think about are finances, childcare, your age, and whether you're ready to have another go at IVF yet, both emotionally and physically, as your baby is still little, and as you know - IVF can be such a rollercoaster.

My DD2 was born after IVF and we won't be TTC again. However, I think if we'd wanted to try again I would have waited until she was at least a year.

Wishing you lots of luck on your journey to conceive baby no. 2.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Tuesday, March 1st 2011, 8:36pm

Hi - its a dilemma isn't it.
I can only give you an example of our thought process in deciding to give IVF another go. What we took into account was my age, an up to date idea of ovarian reserve (LH, FSH levels), how long we would ttc naturally before it would start to become an increasing misery (if you know what I mean) and annual leave from work. We also wanted to have a sibling as close as possible to DS. And a buffer if it doesn't work.
kiwi
xx

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 11:29am

Hi Rockchick, congratulations on your baby! I'd agree with the others. It's a very personal decision, but if I was in your shoes my age would probably be the deciding factor, plus any fertility issues that could be related to age. (I'm over 40 so this has been an issue for me in ttc.) If you've got lots of time to play with, so to speak, perhaps you could give trying naturally a go for a while? There is medical research that shows that IVF can kick-start your system to conceive naturally, and I certainly know of several couples that this has happened to.

Wishing you lots of luck, Cathy xxx
Cathy

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 11:55am

Hi there,

Congrats on your little one!

I too believe this to be a totally personal choice. I would give it a go naturally for a few months and then if nothing happens, back to the GP or clinic. I am pretty impatient so I wouldn't be able to wait too long but you never know, it may just happen on it's own. I know that I would much rather a natural pregnancy than having to go through all the nasties of IVF again!

Good luck.

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Bug79

Reg: Oct 21st 2009

Children: 2 DS born 2004 and 2011

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 12:18pm

Hello

It took me three years to conceive naturally with baby number 2 (now 30 weeks) and we was also diagnossed with unexplained finertility. I also tried clomid which didn't work although my 21 blood test results were very high. Every single month i beleived there was a chance and was utterly dissapointed every month, it consumed my life. The very month where it finally sunk in that it may not happen for us and i chilled out a bit and tried my hardest not to get carried away with dates and all that I fell pregnant. I had so many people telling me that if i relaxed a litlle bit i would get pregnant and getting so annoyed as its just not something you can switch off from, but it did work.
Since you already have a little son you may not get as stressed as you was before and it may happen a lot quicker than you think. One of the main reason i was so desperate for a baby was the age difference between any future children. My son is now 7 and never wanted such a large age difference but hopefully i'll get lots of extra help now!

All the best
Bug

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 2:30pm

I am in exactly the same dilemma.......................... even DD was natural, I don't know, I don't have much hope for this to happen again, I decided 6-8 months, but only because of our personal situation, we live abroad and going to build a house, so I guess it just can be too much for DH and our finances... very interesting thread, will read it, good luck to you! and many hugs, I know how hard it is... I do know.

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ginger74" (Mar 8th 2011, 2:37pm)

Alra

Ace

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Children: A gorgeous daughter I couldn't love more...

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 2:32pm

Hi,

I have the same dilemma but, as others say, it depends on your circumstances. We were lucky on our first FET (never got to ET with IVF due to OHSS) and have a wonderful daughter we couldn't love more.

Now we are trying naturally, we have been labeled "unexplained" as well (gosh do I hate that word!!!) and I have zero faith in us succeeding. My husband gets upset about my attitude, but I had two years of heartbreak when month after month I got my period. We have 8 snow babies waiting for us and DH has now agreed that after my AF in June we'll go back to FET.

I have to say that if I were younger (will be 38 in May) I'd probably give it a bit longer, but as it is I don't want to waste time.

Good luck to all of us.

Alraxxx
First Ivf Nov 2008. No ET due to OHSS :sadface:
Natural FET Jan 16, 2009. Two embryos on board!! Jan 28, 2009 :BFP:
Lost one twin at 10 weeks

Next FET Octobert 2011 :pray: for another miracle!

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 10:16pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)
Think we will give it 6 months as I will be 38 in August which is why we don't want to leave it too long. Would be wonderful if it happened naturally but I'm not holding my breath lol!
Alra - I feel exactly the same about that word - it seems to be the medical 'cop-out' when they don't have any answers :huh: and I get so frustrated at times not knowing why we couldn't conceive naturally!
Congratulations on baby number 2! Bug, I know exactly what you mean about it consuming your life, it's so hard isn't it to relax when af appears month after month! Hopefully we can stay quite relaxed as we already have our little miracle and are so grateful for him : D
babydust and :sticky: everyone!!
blowkiss

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:21am

Good luck Rock Chick with trying naturaly.

We decided to do the same after being extremely lucky to get our DS on our first IVF after being labelled 'unexplained'. We tried for 18 months as another cycle was not an option for us, then we finaly decided enough was enough and I genuinely came to terms with the fact that DS would be an only child. Then just 2 months later we got a natural BFP, we wee so shocked and thrilled but it just does go to show that these things DO happen, we are living proof.

I hope that you get the same happy result

blowkiss

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 4:21pm

HI Rockchick

We are thinking about trying again too. Our little ones are the same age aren;t they? I am already 38, so a year older than you, so we have decided to book an appointment with the clinic (which is next week) and then have a chat about it. But mainly get up to date fsh tests etc…to see if things have changed much. We are thinking of going for ivf in a couple of months if we dont fall pregnant naturally, which i doubt will happen if i'm totally honest.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Did your H like the lullaby cd by the way? x

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 9:01pm

:hello: bge! Lovely to hear from you!
Yes, our boys are the same age, you're not much older than me, I will be 38 in a few months so not much in it :)
I hadn't really thought about contacting the clinic yet but it might be worth a try, do you know why you couldn't conceive before? (hope you don't mind me asking) It's all still a mystery for us as we haven't been given any reasons why we can't conceive naturally it just never worked. I'm not holding much hope out for us either. Now I know what being pg feels like I think I may have fallen pg twice before when we were ttc but possibly miscarried very early at about 5-6 weeks. I never tested at the time but am sure I may have got 2 lines. I'm wondering if it's something to do with my progesterone levels that help to maintain the pregnancy :hmm: Will be giving it a more serious attempt next month!!
Do you have any frosties? Hope your appointment goes well hun, will be keeping xfingers for you :)

Thank you again for the cd, I played it to H a few times but it didn't seem to settle him much more, he did seem to like it though :smile:

blowkiss

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 9:52am

:bye: We play that CD the whole night! When Ben was in our room, we loved it so much in the end we couldn't sleep without it :snigger: I know it inside out! Plinkety plonk!! Not sure it makes any difference to Ben though!! I have forgotten it on a couple of occasions at nap times and he has slept the same!

We are 'unexplained'!! So similar to you. I too think that once i may have been pregnant as i was 5 days late once which was unsual for me and then i had the worst pain ever and a very heavy period. But like you didn't test either! In our first ivf though we had 7 eggs and with 3 of the eggs, the sperm weren't even trying to get into it!! So that may have something to do with it..they couldnt explain why this was though. Our second go which resulted in ben was ICSI so the sperm had no choice but to get in the egg!! LOL! But if this was happening monthly it is not surprising we didn't get preggers!!

I don;t have any frosties sadly…we never got enough fertilised eggs. the first cycle we only had 1 likkle fertilised eggie and the second we had 4..but hey i'm not complaining at all cos one of those is Ben :biggrin2:

Good luck for next month hun..I've got my xfingers for you too.

xx

Perhaps make an appointment with your clinic soon then as i think you can get progesterone injections can't you? it might be worth a try if that is the case, as it would be cheaper than ivf and you could give yourself a couple of months before embarking on a full blown ivf cycle perhaps?

goodgreen

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 1:11pm

:wave: Wow. we seem to be very similar, we had 6 eggs collected and only one fertilised (our little 'lucky' which resulted in H! :D ) Apparently the other eggs and sperm didn't fancy each other enough to join together so we sadly have no frosties either. The clinic couldn't give a reason why the rest didn't bind but said we would probably be better off trying for icsi next time(if we needed it). Think I will give the clininc a call and see what they say about the progesterone injections, thanks hun :)
:xxx3:

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Friday, March 18th 2011, 10:14pm

Good thread

Hi All,

My DH and I are just starting to think about trying again. I'm sure that we'll need IVF, whereas he's much more confident that it'll be okay this time. I don't know if that's wishful thinking on his part or if I'm not allowing myself to hope that there could be a way of avoiding the needles, drugs and heart-ache because it'll make it harder when we have to admit defeat. You know?

Alex is 1 now and I feel physically ready to be pregnant again. I start back at work soon so I'm thinking we'll start trying this month or next month. But as you've all outlined perfectly, how long to try for before ringing the clinic for an appointment? Part of me wants to just go straight there; save ourselves the hell of the monthly, focused "trying" and then the misery of the disapointment. I don't know. I jump from one point of view (it could happen naturally) to the other (let's just have IVF, we know if CAN work) all the time.

I am hoping the fact that we have Alex now will help us to not get so obessed this time around. I need to keep thinking "we have Alex, anything else is a bonus" - keep focused on how incredibly lucky and blessed we are to have our wonderful little boy. Rather than how much I want another one.

I guess we have to try naturally for a while (I'm 34 so have a little bit of time) and my cycle is now a perfect 27 days - which is amazing as previously it was anywhere between 21 days and, like 70 days! Insane! So maybe my fertility is better and that will be enough to counter DH's dodgy sperm.

Anyway, just saying hi. FZ was a huge support to me the first time around. Can't quite believe we're thinking about getting back on that rollar-coaster again, but I think it's time... I want another baby, gosh, I am so greedy...

Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, March 19th 2011, 2:35pm

Not greedy hun, just normal! If you hadn't experienced infertility, you wouldn't think twice about wanting another child.

Wishing you lots of luck - hope it's a speedy and painless TTC journey this time round.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Monday, March 21st 2011, 9:52am

Pootle i agree :) But have to confess that i sometimes feel the same as Sez…like i am 'bad' for wanting another baby, as if people might think that i am not happy enough with Ben. It is silly i know, but it creeps into my head sometimes :O I guess in some ways i want to try sooner than if i hadn't experienced infertility, as i just don;t know how long it might take to conceive this time round and if it will work at all. i sometimes feel like it isn;t going to work, as maybe i have used up all my luck when we got pregnant with Ben and like sez, its greedy to want more luck.

Sez, I remember you from the Hammie thread….are you going back there? I've got my first appointment on Wednesday - eeek!! Wishing you lots of luck too for this time round.

xx

goodgreen

Monday, March 21st 2011, 10:07pm

I think we all feel very similar but it doesn't mean we aren't grateful for what we already have, far from it. :) Infertility seems to have a huge effect on everything and as Pootle says we wouldn't think twice if we hadn't been on the journeys we have all experienced. The main reason we have decided to try again so soon is because of how long it took us to conceive with Harrison.
BGE, I feel exactly the same, I just don't see how we can be lucky again second time around. I sometimes wonder if we should try again and put ourselves through it all if it's not going to work but then I think we won't know if we don't try! :O :goodluck: for your appointment on weds, let us know how you get on.
Sez, :goodluck: also with ttc no.2, let's hope that we are all suprised soon!!!! :D

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 10:51pm

Hammie

Hi BGE,
Yes, I remember you too - huge congrats on Ben, so pleased you have a wonderful little boy.

We'll go back to Hammie again for sure. Can't really fault them. I mean, the admin could have been better and I did have a few difficult experiences with them messing things up, but we got lucky first cycle, and got our bundle of trouble who is obviously the best-best-best thing ever. So we'll go back there and hope they can hit the jackpot again first time. Any idea how much it's gonna cost this time around?! I'm terrified of paying for it. That is going to be a lot more painful than EC and ET put together!

Hope your appointment went well. Good luck to you!

Sez xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE