You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lee82

• "Lee82" started this thread
  • South Africa

Reg: Jan 30th 2011

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 9:45pm

Ivf at Bourne Hall Colchester - egg donor recipient - How many embies to transfer?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me.
I'm having treatment at Bourne Hall Colchester soon (ivf with donor eggs) And they told me that because of my age, i'm 28, they will prob only allow me to transfer one embie back into my uterus???? :what:
Has anyone else had any treatment like this or know if this is correct? My DH and i would like to have 2 transfered back, but not sure if we can fight for this? Who gets to make the final decision regarding this? We are well aware of the risks of multipule births and have discussed this at lenght already. We are NHS funded, not sure if this makes a difference? If its legally out right to choose i would like to know as i really want 2 to increase out chances?
Any advise would be appreciated :thanx:
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

19verve

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 9:55pm

Hello
Firstly welcome to FZ and good luck with TTC.
I dont know what the rules are regarding the transfer of two embryos but I know at my clininc it is also age dependant and if the embryos are blastocyst or not. At the time of my transfer I had blastos and they initially said that they was only willing to transfer one as I was 34 and the quality of the embryos. I insisted that I wanted 2 put back as I have to tie in major surgery with IVF. They agreed and I fell pregnant with twins, very sadly I lost one of my babies but the other baby is now 19 months old. I often wonder if my DD was the original embryo or the second one.
There are health implications to carrying twins which is probably a major factor.

Good luck in everything that you do x

Lee82

• "Lee82" started this thread
  • South Africa

Reg: Jan 30th 2011

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 10:01pm

Thanks for the quick reply Verve19, hope they give me the option, we have lots of twins in my family and he's so we know the risk etc, but would love to have the option as i'm quite young still and healthy so if twins, rather now than later lol
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

19verve

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 10:07pm

No problem. My friend had IVF at bourne hall and she fell pregnant with twins and they are 4 in april.
I would imagine in time the rules will change and you will only be able to have one embryo transferred.
Good luck x

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 10:19pm

Hi there,

I have had treatment at Bourn in Cambridge but I am sure nothing much differs between the two (unless the funding comes from different areas?). We also paid privately which may have made a difference although I am not sure.

We were quite surprised the first time around as they assumed we would have two put back and they were both Day 5 Blastocysts. The second cycle was slightly different in that we had a Day 2 transfer but again, with two embryos. When we questioned this they said that it was due to the fact that they thought I was suffering from Premature Ovarian Failure.

Since everything that has happened we are due to go back for a Review Consultation where I will be asking about the quality of the embryos as this is something we have never got to grips with. They seemed to suggest that if they were willing to put them back, the quality was what the considered worthwhile. They didn't really seem open to discussing quality if I am honest and because we didn't really understand it all anyway, we never pushed things too far. As I say, I will be asking at our Review Consultation at the end of March to see if this had a bearing on their decision to put two back each time.

I really hope you find the answers you are looking for - it is somewhat of a minefield isn't it? Something else to bear in mind with the grading of embryos is that many clinics have their own grading methods so try not to compare with others as they grades may not be comparable.

Good luck and I hope that 2011 is a good year for the pair of us!

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 9:19pm

My understanding when I had my tx there us that they would like ti put 1 back up to the age of 35, depending on previous tx, medical history and embryo quality. But I was nhs funded so you may have more choice. Your consultant and the clinical director will decide I think. Ask them at your next appointment. Good luck!

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 29th 2007

Children: Thanks to IVF a beautiful little boy

Monday, April 11th 2011, 10:01pm

Hi

I had my treatment at Colchester when it was ISIS before it became part of Bourn Hall. I was 37 at time of treatment and I only had one put back but that was only because I started to Hyperstimulate and they were concerned that if 2 were put back there would be big problems, my age was never discused.

I hope this helps

x
TTC since 2004
2008 started IVF Dec 2008 :BFP:
11/09/09 bab22

TTC naturaly since

26/02/2011 :BFP: Sadly ended at 11 weeks

17/09/2011 :BFP: Sadly ended at 6 weeks

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE