You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fiach123

• "fiach123" started this thread

Reg: Jan 29th 2011

Saturday, January 29th 2011, 7:58pm

ovulation scan - is it useful?

Hi,

After having tried to have a baby for a while (18 months) my wife and I have gone through the "standard set" of fertility assessment exams suggested in the uk.
These have not highlighted any specific problems, so we have now been advised to start taking Clomid.
Before going forward with it we want to make sure we have done a complete assesment, in particular it is not clear to us why the doctors (NHS and private) have not suggested to go through ovulation scans to visualize the growing follicle and determine accurately when the egg matures
This is normal practice in Italy (where I come from)..but doesn't seem to be so in the UK.
Is this the case everywhere in the UK? Do you know the reasons behind it? Did you do that sort of exam before starting to take clomid?

Thanks
Marco

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Saturday, January 29th 2011, 8:09pm

Welcome!

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

I can't answer your question but here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section
HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread
HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ. We would appreciate it too if you could take a quick look over our brief terms of the site HERE so you can familiarise yourself with the one or two small rules we have, which help to keep FZ the safe and friendly site it is!

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread
HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread
HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

There is a clomid and ovulation induction section
HERE so you can get to know others on clomid and ride the clomid roller coaster together.

There is a CLOMID CHICKS CHAT thread
HERE where all the clomid girls hang out and support each other and also the OVULATION INDUCTION INJECTIBLES CHAT thread HERE

There is a cycle buddies section
HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a 2WW section
HERE and a 2WW CHAT thread HERE so you can compare every twinge and symptom with everyone else.

There is a PCOS section
HERE there is loads of information here and also a really useful guide to weight and PCOS HERE

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look
HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a signature name, which is explained
HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Fudge11

Reg: Jan 16th 2011

Saturday, January 29th 2011, 8:13pm

Hello Marco, My husband and I have been unsuccessful trying for a baby too, unexplained infertility they couldn't find anything wrong with either of us, we were never offered Clomid as my doctor said that I was ovulating therefore did not need it. Our next step is IVF which we will hopefully be starting in April, when we had our last appointment to discuss when we were going to start the IVF I was given an internal ultrasound and I saw my growing follicles on the screen, I may get this again when we start our IVF procedure but I never got this before it. Hope this helps.

Fudge11

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, January 29th 2011, 8:40pm

Hello Marco,

They should be scanning your wife while she is on clomid though.

Have a look at the links Verity has given you as they will give you an idea of what tests you and your wife should be having.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, January 30th 2011, 8:37am

Hi Marco!

Anche io sono italiana!!

Before going on clomid there is no reason to have an ovulation scan. I know in Italy they do it and it does show you have follicles or if you have any cysts, however I have found that in Italy they do a lot of extra tests which don't always help. Here they don't do it. This is because you may see a follicle, but that may be empty. Most cysts come and go so even if they saw one they wouldn't do anything about it as they reabsorb on their own. What they should do is hormones blood test at the beginning of the cycle (day1-3) fsh, lh, estradiol and then progesterone after ovulation on day 21 of her cycle (you can use an ovulation kit and do the tests 4-6 day after it comes positive).

Once you are on clomid they will scan your wife on a specific day, normally day 12 of her cycle. Then if they think she's ready they will give her an injection to make her follicles mature. Sometimes they even do another progesterone test to make sure she has ovulated and she is making enough progesterone to support a pregnancy.

In bocca al lupo e se ti serve qualche informazione in Italiano mandami un messaggio!
Ciao ciao

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE