You are not logged in.

Unread posts ~

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 9:50am

Persistent cough :<(

Hi there

My DD has had a cold/cough on and off (mainly on :rolleyes: ) for about five weeks now. We've had two trips to the doctor. The first time her chest was clear and the GP was reluctant to give antibiotics as thought is was viral. We ended up going back and her chest was a little crackly but still wasn't convinced it was a bacterial infection. However as her ear was a little infected and she had a red throat, we had a course of Amoxycillin which did make a difference, albeit only for a few days. The cough is back as strong as ever now but she is fine in herself, no temperature, eating normally, happy etc. I did wonder if there are any cough medicines you can give to babies? I'm sure my doctor would have mentioned it if there were.

Do any of you have any tips of how they helped their babies when coughing? I put a drop of olbas oil on a tissue stuffed down her top to help clear her nose as i'm sure the gunk running down her throat makes it worse, especially lying down.

I will of course take her back to the GP if no improvement though I do feel like a piece of the furniture there at the moment as we've all been 2/3 times in the past month! Bloody bugs!

Thanks in advance

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 12:52pm

Hi there Duffy

Your poor DD :sadface: My DD1 and Ds have also had a cough that seems to have gone on forever too.I get a lot of persistent cough's also and the only thing that has worked for me is to rub Vicks on my feet at night! It may be coincidence but it also worked for my mum and dad.It didn't work for my DD1,though I think she was a little better.Not tried DS,I'm not sure why but I may tonight.I'm not sure what age it is suitable for,but I imagine as it's on their feet it would be ok but may be best to check with the Pharmacist first.

I'm willing to try almost anything as it's not nice them all being ill!

xxxx

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "csam" (Dec 14th 2010, 1:00pm)

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 12:54pm

I know nothing really but saw a baby program on croup. could it be this? does she wheeze and if so is it when she breathes in or out? x
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 3:46pm

rub Vicks on my feet at night

Hey i'm up for trying anything! I have just googled vicks on babies and you're not the only one to suggest putting it on feet (with socks on too). It looks like you can't use adult vicks on babies but there is a baby equivalent so i'll pop to the pharmacy later and get some! :thanx: Hope your DS gets better soon too.

saw a baby program on croup. could it be this

Thanks BG but pretty sure it's not croup.....she's coughing the same as when she went to the doctors and they never mentioned it. I think it's something that is very recognisable but thanks for the suggestion!

x

4 x ICSI BFN

Ozzy

Star

Reg: Apr 9th 2008

Location: I live in West Yorkshire but will always be a Geordie!

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 11:44pm

Hi Duff

Thomas had had colds and coughs off and on since his birthday in September - we all have. I asked in my local chemist and they said the only thing I could give him was glycerine, honey and lemon. Boots said the same. I bought some and tried it but can't say it made a huge difference. I suppose as it's not really a medicine (if you know what I mean) it's only really to soothe their throat.

I took him to the GP with it and we weren't given anything either. I asked about the glycerine, honey and lemon and she just said it won't cure it but won't do any harm if you think it helps. Great. The woman at the chemist said it worked wonders for all her children.

Mind you after saying all that I'm not sure they can have it under 12 months?

May be worth asking - sorry I wasn't more use. Hope she's better soon xxx
Catherine

Me 37, PCO. DH 44, average!
IVF #1 April 08 abandoned (too many follies, risk of OHSS)
IVF #2 - BFN
IVF #3 - BFP 14/02/09

Duffymoon

Megastar

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 9:31am

Hey Ozzychops

I asked about the glycerine, honey and lemon and she just said it won't cure it but won't do any harm if you think it helps.

Mind you after saying all that I'm not sure they can have it under 12 months?

Yep - you're right on the second quote! honey is a no-no till after a year old.

I got some Karvol vaporub which was for over 6+ months and i put some on her feet before bed. She did cough on and off till about 10 but not enough to wake her so no tears! I also got some tixylix cough medicine which is ok for over 3+ months so one or the other or both has hopefully made a difference. She had some more cough medicine this morning and went to sleep straight away for her morning nap and it's always the initial bit of going to sleep that is worst so xfingers she's on the mend (and I hope not just temporarily!). I so want us all to be fit and well for Christmas!!

Hope Thomas gets better soon too - perhaps try the vaporub on the feet thing?
xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Ozzy

Star

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 11:49am

Yeah I have some so I'll try it on his feet. Might also try some of that cough medicine - I was told there was nothing I could give him. Tut!

Glad your little lady had a better sleep, hope she continues to improve xxx
Catherine

IVF #2 - BFN
IVF #3 - BFP 14/02/09

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 8:28pm

Thanks for letting me know about this 'cough' thread Duffy, I will try Vicks on Flora. I can hear her coughing upstairs now but it hasn't woken her up tonight .... yet....
I have done the tixylix though. Last night was really bad but she finally seemed to settle down about 1am after I'd given her a drink of water.
Hope you have a good night with Tegan (and Ozzy with Thomas!) x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 8:32pm

Big hugs to the poorly baby beans xxxxx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Ozzy

Star

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 9:23pm

Mr T is upstairs coughing in his sleep with vapour rub on his feet. Unfortunately he coughed so hard during dinner he was sick - bye bye calpol.

Going to docs tomorrow if we can get in. And tixylix sounds good too.

Fingers crossed for everyone xxx
Catherine

IVF #2 - BFN
IVF #3 - BFP 14/02/09

Duffymoon

Megastar

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 11:14pm

Going to docs tomorrow if we can get in

Stamp your feet hon and get an appt! Sorry he was pukey lukey tonight :sadface:

Well tonight Tegan has not coughed once (RESULTTTTT!)......though J decided to have a paddy on being put to sleep. He never does that. He refused 4 oz of his bottle at normal evening milk time only to then down 6 ozs at 8pm! (i.e. 10 ozs in just over an hour!) unheard of! Is there a growth spurt at 9 months? They have been hungry monsters the last few days.

These babies are never predictable!

Hope Thomas and Flora have a good night. Oh....don't forget if the vaporub and tixylix doesn't work (and they don't have proper chest infection and need antibiotics) taht I also add to the pot the one drop of olbas oil on a tissue stuffed inbetween pyjama top and bodysuit. Just in case that's what's making the difference! :P

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 9:24am

Hey Duffy,

It could be post nasal drip where the mucous goes down the back of the throat and makes it a little sore and tickly which in turns stimulates more mucous production, you can get tickly cough syrup for babies but I found it made little difference with J - but probably worth a try. Does the coughing stop if she is in a warm steamy environment (such as a bath) if so then decongesting and raising the humidity in her room may be the way to go. If you have central heating and double glazing then it's likely that the humidity in your house is low and this can acerbate coughs by drying out the throat and making it even more tickly, hang a wet towel over the radiator (or you can get special things that go on the rad but they are usually pretty hideous) add to this a plug in decongester, I have the Karvol one which has no nightlight (I had a calpol one that had a nightlight on it which was so bright I think you could see it from space!) and it seems to work really well at reducing J's snottiness when he's ill, or you could dose the place with decongestant (you can also put some on the wet towel and the heat from the rad will circulate it).

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 11:07am

Thanks Grace blowkiss There doesn't seem to be any particular time that she seems better though when she starts coughing at night i think the fact she's lying down makes it difficult for her to cough whatever it is she's trying to cough up or get rid of the tickle. We were up for an hour with her around 4am, yawny (tried water, cough syrup and in the end I laid her on her tummy over my lap gently rubbing and patting which seemed to soothe her).

I'm sure you're right in that having a warm house isn't helping though I do keep a little window slightly open at night. I'll look at a decongester plug in thingy as you're probably right in that her throat is just drying up making it worse at night. She was one snotty lady at 4am though I think that was the tears making it worse.

:thanx:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Brock1

• "Brock1" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Dec 28th 2012

Saturday, December 29th 2012, 8:36am

Cough is a problem which is very common to children. So you do not need to worry about it. I have a home remedy if you try this then I am sure you child will be find. The remedy is not complicated. You just need to take honey a table spoon and give it to child to suck it. honey is the super natural products which prevent the human body from many diseases.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, December 29th 2012, 8:41am

You have commented on a very old thread.

It is advised not to give babies honey until after 1 year old.

Also any new cough should be checked out by a qualified doctor and it can be a symptom of other things.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!