You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Beanie5" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 5th 2008

Children: Yes please!

Monday, December 13th 2010, 8:48pm

Difference between clomid and tamoxifen

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences of Tamoxifen and how it is different from clomid?

I have previously taken clomid (not to induce ovulation) but to try to boost my endometrium thickness. I am now going to try out tamoxifen as I have taken clomid about 4 times and don't really want to take it anymore. I have heard that it can actually thin out your lining if you take it too much. Maybe tamoxifen has the same affect?
Beanie5
Me 38 [zx076] DH 43
(ICSI x 4, FET x 6 - 2 early losses)
Tx no. 10 - Immune Protocol through Dr Gorgy :BFP:
MY DIARY

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 18th 2010, 2:12pm

Hi Beanie

Yep,Clomid is an anti-oestrogen drug. It blocks oestrogen receptors in the brain and fools the body into thinking that it has low oestrogen levels. This sets off a series of hormonal reactions within the body, which result in the follicles of the ovaries producing more oestrogen and releasing more mature eggs. However, at the same time, the anti-oestrogen effects of Clomid can block the stimulating effects of oestrogen on the growth of the endometrium. This can leave the lining of the uterus too thin and weak to secure the mature egg when it is released by the ovary.

One of the key reasons for being scanned on clomid therefore and starting people on the lowest dose is to avoid the risk of thinning the uterus lining.

That said, I had 11 cycles of clomid in total and my lining was always fine.

I don't know masses about Tamoxifen but apparently it is not supposed to be efficient as clomid in improving your chances of getting pregnant. It has a similar effect as clomid in that it stimulates the ovaries and induces and regularises ovulation but from what I've read it can only be taken on a short term basis. But differently to clomid, it is recognised that tamoxifen can increase the endometrial lining/thickening.

If I were you I'd have a good chat with your consultant about the pros and cons of each in your specific circumstances

x

Reg: May 21st 2010

Sunday, December 19th 2010, 7:00pm

Hiya

I've tried both ... I hated the side effects of clomid (headaches, constantly thirsty etc) - and it didn't make me ovuvulate.

Tamoxifen was great - no side effects at all and I ovulated with it (but didn't get pregnant)

Good luck! x
TTC since June 2009
clomid, tamoxifen, Gonal-F - BFN
July 10 IVF, Dec 10 IVF: Lister BFN (embryos all arrested after day 3)
Jan 11 - started Chinese herbs & acupuncture
Jul/Aug 11 - tamoxifen - BFN
Aug/Sep 11 - tamoxifen - BFN
Sept 11 - IUI - BFN

Chicago immune tests: CD3 = 87.7; CD19+CD5 = 12
Initial ARGC appointment Jan 2012
Jan 2012 - SHOCK NATURAL BFP!!!
EDD: 19 September 2012 XXX

• "Beanie5" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 5th 2008

Children: Yes please!

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 9:45pm

Thank you for the information ladies.

It's really interesting what you have said. |'ve heard a lot about clomid having a negative effect on the endometrium which my con didn't acknowledge. He said that he'd never heard of this. I've used clomid about 4 times now. The first 3 times I ended up with a slightly thicker endometrium than without using clomid but the last time I ended up with a very strange lining. It was thickish at the top end but the rest of it was very thin. I have managed to have 2 BFPs, once with a fresh ICSI cycle and the other time with a FET using clomid. Unfortunately both ended in an early losss.

I'm definitely not happy to take clomid anymore as the reason I am taking these drugs is purely to help with my endometrium. It will be interesting to see if tamoxifen does improve my endometrium. They have run out of things to try out on me to get my endometrium thicker.
Beanie5
Me 38 [zx076] DH 43
(ICSI x 4, FET x 6 - 2 early losses)
Tx no. 10 - Immune Protocol through Dr Gorgy :BFP:
MY DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE