You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kristina

• "kristina" started this thread

Reg: Nov 18th 2010

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 8:17pm

NHS IVF treatment where one partner already has a child - advice needed

Hi

Im going to be seeing my doctor next week about joining the NHS waiting list to start my IVF treatment. I have been with my partner for 6 years, and are due to get married in 2012. The issue we have, and advice we need, is that he has a Daughter from a previous relationship however, there are doubts whether he is actually the biological father. the mother has refused repeated requests for DNA tests to prove his incling. Does this need to be disclosed to my GP, and will this stop us from having treatment on the NHS, or would we be refused, unless it was proved his daughter wasn't actually his? his daughter doesnt know she may not be his, and im wary about her finding out as we have become very close.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

x

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
What next? :sadface:

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 9:04pm

Hi Kristina, welcome to FZ. I think each PCT varies with eligibility for NHS treatment but in my area (Norfolk) I am pretty sure we couldn't have had NHS treatment if one of us has already got a parent. I think you do need to discuss it with your doctor and maybe stress thequestion mark over paternity.

I hope someone from your area can give you a better answer.

Good Luck xx

1st IVF :BFN: 1st FET no transfer :sadface: 2nd IVF :BFP: DS born 2012
2nd FET :BFP: early loss :sadface: 3rd IVF Feb/Mar14 :BFN: 4th IVF Aug/Sept 14 :BFN:

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 10th 2010

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 9:19pm

Hello kristina,

We live in Essex and we've been refused NHS funds initialy because my husband has 2 grown up boys, but...

There's always a but, the law changed in May 2009 and we've been accepted, but, again but I don't know about un-married couples.

Also we needed to have at least 2 years behind us of TTC.

Also NHS provide us with 3 tries from fresh embies or 1 fresh and 5 frosties (if we've had any frozen)

Paternity test or just the doubt of him being the girl's father...I think it will affect the girl.

I will try tomorrow to find the law for you.

All the best

:xxx3:

• "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 10:35pm

I know that where I live, you are only eligible for treatment if you have no children living with you at home regardless of who the parent is. This is in Scotland. From what I have seen, the conditons for funding in many areas south of the border differ quite alot and some are stricter.
If you click on the region you come under on the map on the following link, this will give you some information.

http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com/Fund…tility/?id=6680

As regards disclosing this information to your GP, then you probably should since it would be hard for you if they found out the truth and then if you weren't eligible, asked you for the cost of your treatment. This, if you aren't prepared will set you back a hefty amount. My sister is in a similar situation where her partner has 3 children and he has had a vasectomy, so if they want children of their own, they have to pay.
I noticed a post on here the other night saying that one health board in England was withdrawing funding for IVF amongst other things...... As if the journey wasn't stressful enough for everyone awaiting treatment without this added worry.
Yours is a slightly unusual case and so it might help to speak to your GP who may be able to say (or point you in the right direction of someone who knows) what he/she thinks about the chances of you getting funding.

I wish you loads of luck and hope that one day you are blessed with all you wish for,xxxx

mumof3

Reg: Mar 1st 2011

Children: 3 girl's, Sarah 9, Leigh 7 and Ella 6

Tuesday, March 1st 2011, 7:27pm

Hi there,

You prob already no this but thought i'd reply anyway!! the old law stated tht if u or ur partner had any kid's then nhs fundin wud b refused but the law has since changed, (thank god) I hav 3 daughter's from a previous relationship and my partner has none of his own :( Wen we went 2 r gp he told us tht because the law had changed my havin children no longer mattered, so come nov this year we start icsi :) Hope this help's and good luck xox,

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Tuesday, March 1st 2011, 8:48pm

Hi there,

Just a little to add - it is down to the specific PCT you are dealing with. In Norfolk and Suffolk NHS funding is available for us and DH has three other children (who do not live with us). Having said that, I think it would be a different story if I had already had children. I seem to remember something being said that it was my situation that counted. Not sure why?!?!

Anyway - good luck with it all.

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE