You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

znc7878

• "znc7878" started this thread

Reg: Aug 2nd 2006

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 10:34pm

IUI/IVF

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

We've just been told that we have to have IUI as I have PCOS and my b/f has poor motility. My main problem is that I have very infrequent periods (one in the last 22 months). All the other tests I've had have come back fine but I have been told that there's no point trying clomid because of my b/f's problem.

I was wondering if anyone knew if IUI or IVF's success depends on the severity of people's infertility? I assume that it would be more successful if we don't have any major problems as I'd like to try clomid whilst we're waiting for IUI to see if it would work. If it doesn't then at least we've tried.

I live in Kent and would be grateful if anyone knew what the waiting list times were for IUI/IVF in this area? Or even a rough estimate would be helpful for now.

znc7878

• "znc7878" started this thread

Reg: Aug 2nd 2006

Friday, August 4th 2006, 7:43am

RE: IUI/IVF

Any ideas to my question?

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, August 4th 2006, 8:56am

Hi hun

you say you BF has poor motility? For IUI sperm counts should be reasonably high with generally good motility just as for natural conception. It's usually used where IF is female related or unexplained but if your BF has some normal sperm this could be ok, I think this would need to be quite a high percentage though. If there is very low motility I would suspect IVF or even ICSI would be much better in terms of success for you.

With PCOS the main reason for not getting pg is not ovulating due to the cysts on your ovaries. Your cycle would more than likely be controlled by drugs & regular scans carried out to make sure you are likely to ovulate. You would be given a HCG jab to make sure the eggs are released before inserting the sperm into the uterus.

I think nationally for a drug cycle of IUI the figure is around 15% success rate, for IVF more like 20-25% though of course it will vary from clinic to clinic.

As for waiting lists again that will vary from PCT, here it's 18months but as IVF is not offered at all this may affect the number of people on the list. The best bet is to talk to your local Fertility clinic or ask your GP if they know.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE