You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 28 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Babycome

• "Babycome" started this thread

Reg: Oct 1st 2010

Friday, October 1st 2010, 12:33pm

Why all of a sudden, I have PCOS?? :(

Hi ladies,

I am new here. Have been reading all the stories about PCOS here and would like to write something about my case.

I always had regular period on my own and of course with Yasmine (contraception pills)...Got married last year so stopped the pill (only took pills for 3 and half years in total) to try a baby. Afterwards, I had a couple of periods falling into normal cycles (34 days) then it went up to 49 days, 41 days, 36 days then last one was 55 days!!!??? We have been trying for over 9 months but no results so I went to see the doctor more than one week ago....She scanned me and said I seemed to have PCOS....but we are still waiting for the blood test results etc. to confirm this.

I am so worried and confused. Why all of a sudden I have irregular period and PCOS?? Is it because of the pills? I now have a feeling that I am on the way to go through all those fertility check ups and infertility treatments....Long and hard way to go! So depressed! Clomid? HSG? Laparoscopy? Ovary drilling? .....So scary!! ;(

I will come back once I go to see doc next tuesday to update my diagnosis.... :faint:

Good luck with everyone!!

W xx
:pray: I pray, May baby come to us soon! baby2

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Friday, October 1st 2010, 1:15pm

Hello Babycome and welcome to the site! I'm sure one of the moderators will be along soon to welcome you properly.

I can't help explain why your PCOS problems materialised but I can share my own experience...

Up until I was 21 I had fairly regular periods, between 4-6 weeks apart with nothing out of the ordinary. Then one month I had the most enormous bleed - like Niagara Falls - which gave me a lot of pain and left me feeling very weak. After that I had nothing for months on end. PCO was diagnosed and I was put on the pill. I stayed on the pill for several years until I got married four years ago. I waited to see what would happen to my cycle, hoping it might magically return to the way it was before I was 20. But I ended up having bleeds every 9 months or so! Crazy.

Eventually I asked my GP to refer me for a full check-up and they did another ultrasound to check my ovaries, which of course were still poly-cystic, and an HSG, which thankfully showed my tubes were clear. The HSG is no party but it's fine really and all in a good cause! They also checked my DH's sperm, which was fine too. So our only apparent problem was my cycle. The usual first step in this case is Clomid. Clomid didn't help my ovaries, but injectable Gonal F did and as you can see from my signature we have some happy news as a result!

In your case, it may be that you are already ovulating. Your GP or clinic might try to test this with a progesterone blood test. But if your cycles are very irregular now it might be hard to find the right day to test on. They might suggest you try Clomid anyway as this can help regularise an irregular cycle. As with any other Clomid patient they would need to monitor you carefully with scans and bloods. I guess you'll find out on Tuesday what your next step will be! In the meantime, don't worry too much about all the things that might be ahead. It's best just to take each stage at a time. And as long as you know what the next step ahead of you will be you can be hopeful that it will help your baby to come! :thumbsup:

Avoid ovulation predictor kits if you have PCO as they can give false positives. But there are other ways that you can track your cycle yourself, monitoring cervical mucus and temperatures. There's a great book by Toni Weschler called 'Understanding Your Fertility'. It's a bit of a hefty tome but very informative!

Good luck Babycome and I hope you find all the support you need!
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 1st 2010, 1:44pm

Welcome!

I'm sorry you've had this news but as you can see its not all bad. There are lots of options with PCOS. Like Bee clomid didn't work for me but I had ovarian drilling which did work! And Bee has had success on injectibles!

Unfortunately PCOS is a whole body condition. A lot of sufferers are also overweight which is a symptom but it also exacerbates the PCOS. Have a read through these threads

IS YOUR WEIGHT STOPPING YOU FROM HAVING A BABY?

INFO: A ROUGH GUIDE TO DIET & REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM

They don't pull any punches, but once you've read them I bet you are full of positivity to carry on your mission to lose the pounds!

I've also had 2 laparoscopy's and they were fine. You're in just for the day so get to go home after.

I hope the docs goes well.

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section
HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread
HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread
HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread
HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

There is a general fertility section HERE there is tonnes of information there that you may find helpful and will answer some of your questions.

There is a general fertility FAQ section HERE which contains lots of guides to different aspects of fertility.

There is a guide to the initial fertility tests HERE which explains the tests you can expect to be offered.

There is a TTC naturally section HEREwhere you can get to know others TTC naturally.

There is a FERTILITY DRUGS section HERE where there is lots of information about the various fertility drugs

There is a clomid and ovulation induction section
HERE so you can get to know others on clomid and ride the clomid roller coaster together.

There is a CLOMID CHICKS CHAT thread
HERE where all the clomid girls hang out and support each other.

There is a cycle buddies section
HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a 2WW section
HERE and a 2WW CHAT thread HERE so you can compare every twinge and symptom with everyone else.

There is a PCOS section
HERE there is loads of information here and also a really useful guide to weight and PCOS HERE

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look
HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a signature name, which is explained
HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Babycome

• "Babycome" started this thread

Reg: Oct 1st 2010

Friday, October 1st 2010, 2:34pm

Thanks BeeS and Flic! I feel much better after sharing my case with girls here. It is a whole new thing for me about infertility and I feel it is so dark....But I do see a lot of happy endings here so I will try to be positive!

I did ovulation test last cycle and I got strong positive result. Does this mean I did ovulate? Did have the mature egg released? We did what we have to do but failed to become pregnant.... :hysteric:

So, I hope the doc will check my tubes on Tuesday...before she gives me Clomid....Just don't want to waste time any more! :girl_cray2.gif:

I will come back to update!

W xx
:pray: I pray, May baby come to us soon! baby2

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Friday, October 1st 2010, 2:59pm

Hi and welcome

If you have got PCO/PCOS ovulation tests aren't reliable and can give false positives because women with PCO/PCOS tend to have elevated LH levels, which is the hormone ovulation tests detect. Here is a post from Paul, one of our mods who is a genius when it comes to all things fertility related, he explains things far better than I can.

Quoted

Originally posted by Paul Entwistle
Hi - I'm Paul

The problem with ovulation kits, or even formal, laboratory assays, is that they only detect the "LH Surge" , the hormone rise that is meant to trigger ovulation. However this rise in LH does not always lead to ovulation, for various reasons. These kits are therefore tests for LH hormone, not for ovulation. You need other tests to show that ovulation DID occur in that cycle.

These kit only reflect the "normal" level of LH rise which should be enough to trigger ovulation in a "young" woman with normally responsive ovaries. If the woman is older, or her ovaries are less responsive i.e. in PCOS, then this "normal" level of hormone may not be sufficient to trigger rupture of the ovarian follice and cause ovulation.

Also the kit detects the start of the surge which it is assumed will continues to rise to provoke ovulation. If this rise is not continued or the peak level is not enough to provoke follicular rupture, then no egg is released, and there will have been no ovulation.

One of the classical reasons for a failure to ovulate after the observed start of the LH surge is stress!!! Having to make love in response to a kit result saying "go for it" can be so stressful, - will my parents go home in time?; will he come home from the pub early enough and sober enough?; will the children settle to asleep and give us some time to do it ?; am I in the mood for love tonight, anyway?

Such stresses can impede the rise in the LH ( and the quality of "his" semen specimen) and ensure that ovulation does not occur, despite the tantalising blue line in the kit.

You need to establish, by independent and scientific means, that you ARE ovulating; and that this is GOOD ovulation (ie a good luteal phase with a high progesterone and a normal prolactin) ; and also work out "ABOUT" when you are ovulating; - and then make love 2-4 times in the week around ovulation. Never mind trying to find the magic day. THERE IS NO MAGIC DAY. - Sperm will last 2-4 days, the cervix is open 2-3 days, and the egg is viable for about 2 days. so GO FOR IT OVER A FEW DAYS.

Sorry to be so pedantic - but making love, randomly and wildly, when you're in the mood, gets far more pregnancies than having intercourse when the kit says so.

Please talk to me if I have confused you!!.

Paul

As for your tubes being checked, it's likely to be booked in advance and isn't a procedure they do on the day so try not to get your hopes up.

If I can help with the forum in any way, drop me a PM or post in the ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE

Also, there is a how to search thread HERE which will really help you get the maximum benefit from the forum.

Fingers crossed all your dreams come true soon.

x

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests