You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rockchick" started this thread

Reg: Jan 29th 2009

Children: Our gorgeous son was born 16/7/2010

Thursday, September 9th 2010, 4:37pm

Period 6 weeks after baby was born?

I had a c-section just 8 weeks ago and bled for 4-5 weeks afterwards. When baby was 6 weeks old I had what I thought was a period. I had very mild cramps and my breasts were tender (especially when they were full and when I breastfed) then I bled for 4 days. It was just how a period usually is for me prior to getting pg. I have been bresastfeeding since baby was born. I mentioned to my health visitor yesterday that I had had my first period already since baby was born and she said I shouldn't have had one yet as I am exclusively b.feeding and it probably wasn't a period. She seemed quite concerned that I had bled and said I should mention it to the doctor at my post natal check to make sure it wasn't an infection. My 6 week post natal check was booked for last tuesday and when I arrived, my doctor had cancelled it without telling me so she could have the day off! I can't get another appointment until the end of september :cross:
I feel ok and haven't really had any problems that make me think I may have an infection but I'm now worried that there may be something wrong that I don't know about?
Has anyone else had a period so soon after giving birth while they are breastfeeding?

Oct/Nov 09 - 1st IVF :BFP:
Jan 2012 - Short Protocol ICSI :BFP:
7 wk scan 2/3/12 One [zx076] seen

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 9th 2010, 7:32pm

Hi

Mine took a while to return but I'm pretty sure I know of others (to the best of my memory including Philippa on here) whose periods returned pretty quickly whilst exclusively breastfeeding. I don't think its as uncommon as your midwife is suggesting to be honest. I think it depends as much on you as an individual as it does on your method of feeding.

That said, if you only stopped your postpartum bleeding at 4-5 weeks and bled again at 6 weeks it could just have been a continuation of that. It's not unusual for the bleeding to be a bit stop-start and to increase a bit as you start doing a bit more physically.

If you're worried perhaps you could arrange an earlier appointment with a different doctor? I didn't see my normal GP for my 6 week check up.

x

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 9th 2010, 8:11pm

Hiya

I had a period about 6 weeks after giving birth and was exclusively BF,I was gutted they returned so quick esp as I was BF!

Hope eveything is ok,sure it will be.

xxxxxxx

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Thursday, September 9th 2010, 9:50pm

Yes I was also a lucky one and started at about 5 weeks I think (and actually felt my ovaries twanging a few weeks earlier) and then I started again 4 weeks later so knew what it was even though exclusively breastfeeding.

I have recently done a bf course and they said there it could be to do with my hormones as I was a bit low...

I think if you're concerned you need to get it checked out but as you've seen it does happen, you're just a bit unlucky, but you may find you don't have another for a while which has also happened to people I know!
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way