You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jools1978" started this thread

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 8:23pm

Just found out our clinic has some of hubbys sperm frozen that we didn't know about! Advice needed

We went for our trial pesa/tesa in April 2009 and the clinic told us we didn't have any to freeze! We then had treatment in May 2009 and October 2009 and hubby had pesa/tesa both times as we were never told any different! Both ops cost £500 each! We had a letter yesterday from the clinic asking what we wanted to do with our frozen sperm samples that were taken in April 2009??? We didn't ever realise and we were never told they ever had any frozen sperm!!!
We are both quite angry as we could have saved £1000 had we used the frozen sperm!!
Unfortunately both our treatments were unsuccesful and we are taking a break and wanted to try a new clinic but never realised our old clinic had any sperm!!
I am going to write to them expressing our distress but any advice what I should put in letter??
Thanks xxxx
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 8:30pm

Hi Jools, I can't believe they didn't tell you they had it! I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice for your letter but if it was me I would stress the additional cost and confusion this has caused. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to investigate why you were not informed that you had some sperm frozen and to ask them whether they can help with the money you have wasted.

Good Luck!

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 10:13am

Hi Jools
This seems like a serious breach of some of the lab rules and regs, everything should be labeled, coded in some way and double checked before being stored / frozen. You have every right to be mad about this, and writing a letter (and maybe turning it into an official complaint) is not a bad idea.

Can you ask them what they actually did freeze, as you were told that they didnt find anything auitable to freeze, so has there been a mistake and they have put something in the freezer which is not suitable to use for tx, or were you mis-informed and do you have sperm in the freezer which could be thawed and used for a tx cycle?
When writing the letter, I would tell them the distress and confusion which it has caused you, and also loss of money! also include the costs and dates fo your previous txs and the members of staff who you spoke to (especially the one who actually told you there was no sperm to freeze). As they are probably writing to you to ask you to pay a storage fee to keep the sperm in the freezer, I would be inclined to ask them to offer you the next 12 months storage for free for the inconvenince.

I hope this helps hun, maybe write a letter and also request an appt so you can have a face to face chat with them to decide how you move forward from here and what your best options are.

Please keep us posted

Good Luck x

Lynsey

Reg: Dec 3rd 2008

Children: Adopted Son @ 10.5mths old Feb 2014 xx

What's Up?
FINALLY I am a MUMMY!!!!

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 4:26pm

OMG Jools i dont really have any advce on writing letters etc, apart from ditto to what Sun flower has said above!!!!
Its awful that this has happened!!!! Hope you get somewhere with it soon hunni xxx
LYNSEY xx

After x3 ICSI X2 FETs resulting in :BFN:s Apart from the last one being a faint :BFP: (only lasted a day or two) I was turned down as an egg donor so we called it a day with TX
WE ARE ADOPTING
APT Apr/May 13 HS June-Aug 13 PANEL Sept 13 YES!!
LINKED to 7mth old bab22 Oct 13
MATCHING PANEL JAN 14 YES. HOME with us 11th Feb 2014 (10.5mths old)
Finally I AM A MUMMY

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Monday, August 30th 2010, 9:40am

That's incredible! Can't you ask them for the £1000 back, plus any transport costs etc.? Your DH may not have needed those extra treatments if you had used the sample frozen in April 2009. Perhaps if the hospital is unwilling to recompense you, you could contact HEFA for advice/support? Good luck! Cathy xxx
Cathy

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE