You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "gemma" started this thread

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Trying very hard

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 1:16pm

Experience of PESA with NOA ??

Hi girls

We have recently got our first BFN :sadface: and are hoping to start cycle 2 in October!

Before this we need to bank up some more sperm, as it all had to be thawed out during in the last cycle, so now have none left! Previously we have managed to yield sperm through the MERC test at CARE, and although they only manage to find tiny amounts (3-4 sperm per MERC test) we managed to get enough for ICSI by having 6 MERC's done!!!

CARE have suggested that they think they might be able to get sperm through a PESA because they do find sperm in DH's ejaculate (albeit tiny amounts, but it is there)!
So my question is...has anybody with NOA been successful with a PESA?? I am concerned, as DH had a TESE done at St Mary's last year and they found nothing!! Which CARE can't understand seen as they manage to find sperm in the ejaculate! So i am worried that if nothing is found directly in the testicle, how likley are they to find some in a PESA??

We are trying to decide if we should try the PESA, which will effectively give us 1 chance to find sperm OR go back for 6 MERC's like we did last time, which will give us 6 opporunties to find sperm, BUT will mean 6 full days off work for DH when he has just started a new job!!! Price wise, it will cost more or less the same for 1 PESA or 6 MERC's!!!!!

Very confused and don't know which way to go with this :sadface: Any experience or advice very much appreciated!!!

xxx

5 cycles (3 xICSI, 2 x FET) All BFN
3 x cycles (2 x ICSI, 1 x FET) with basic immunes-All BFN
First appointment with Dr Gorgy-2nd April 2013-discussed another cycle using LIT and Humira. More tests done...awaiting results.

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 2:07pm

Hi gemma

Sorry to hear about your recent BFN. :hugs:

Unfortunatley I don't know anything about the MERC test but on the subject of PESA -v- TESA, looking at it logically, if no sperm was found with a TESA procedure then like you, i'd have concerns about the chances of successfully finding sperm with a PESA.

I was always told that sperm from PESA was always the best to get because it has had longer to mature. that said, my DH had three PESA's, sperm was found with each one but all ended in BFNs either from a fresh PESA or thawed sperm. However, he had a TESA at CARE in March 2009, that particular cycle ended in a BFN but we transferred the sperm to my first clinic (Nurture) and this sperm was used for my 5th cycle which resulted in my twin pregnancy. there may have been other factors to account for a successful cycle but it's impossible to say.

One thing I will say though is that each time my DH went to have a PESA, they always said that if unsuccessful they would do a TESA there and then so maybe you could ask your clinic if they would do the same....OR depending on what the MERC procedure entails, if the PESA may be unsuccessful, would it be possible to have a back up of the MERC procedure?

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl: