You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Carla1

• "Carla1" started this thread

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 11:34am

Where do I start?

Hi Everyone,

Could anyone give me some advice about where to start researching treatment abroad?

I have NO idea where to start or what to look for!! ? ?(
Me 24 - Tubal Damage - No children
DH 33 - Super Sperm!!! 3 children
TTC 2.5 years
Currently appealing for NHS funded IVF - Watch this space!

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 11:42am

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help. There was a conference thingy recently with people from across the world, but that's not helpful now is it!!

There are a number of ladies on here with treatment in Spain. You'll also be redirected I would have though to info pages Eeyore and the team have written. So I'm sure you'll have loads of help very very soon.

Good luck and welcome!

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 11:48am

Hi and welcome

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon. This thread may be a good start and I will also ask one of our mods who had tx abroad to pop over and say hi!

Planning to travel outside the UK for fertility treatment

Here are some other links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is an IVF/ICSI section HERE with a FAQ section HERE where you will find a great introduction to IVF/ICSI.

There is a cycle buddies section HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a cycle buddies section HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a 2WW section HERE and a 2WW CHAT thread HERE so you can compare every twinge and symptom with everyone else.

There is a clinic feedback & chat section HERE so you can look up your clinic and ask others any questions about it.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ. We would appreciate it too if you could take a quick look over our brief terms of the site HERE so you can familiarise yourself with the one or two small rules we have, which help to keep FZ the safe and friendly site it is!

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a signature name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 12:14pm

Hi there

Welcome to FZ! Have just read your post and didn't want to read and run, am just off out but will be back later today with a decent reply for you. Can I just ask, are you looking for straight forward IVF or are you looking at using a donor?

Love Gracie

xxxxxxxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Carla1

• "Carla1" started this thread

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 1:04pm

"are you looking for straight forward IVF or are you looking at using a donor?"

No, just straightforward...
Me 24 - Tubal Damage - No children
DH 33 - Super Sperm!!! 3 children
TTC 2.5 years
Currently appealing for NHS funded IVF - Watch this space!

Calypso

Superstar

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 4:18pm

:hello: Hi Carla1
I'm afraid I don't know much about treatment abroad, but there are lots of ladies on here who do, and I'm sure people will soon drop by with some advice.
Just wanted to welcome you to :FZ: and wish you lots of :goodluck: on your journey!
:xxx3:

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 4:52pm

Hey Carla

Right, I'm back!

I went for treatment in Spain as I wanted to use donor eggs and basically it is much easier to do so in Spain, I had a clinic recommended to me by my UK clinic so it was fairly straightforward for me.

There are loads of clinics throughout Europe who offer good IVF services, Spain seems to be among the most popular countries, from my experience and from what I read of others they all seem to have a good reputation and very good success rates. Prices can vary hugely though, anything from 5K up to over 10K.

I have a good friend who had successful treatment in Greece and I know that Norway and the Czech Republic are other known destinations and of course if you fancy going to the trouble of crossing 'The Pond' then there's always the USA!

I think the best thing you can do is to spend some time looking through some different clinics' websites and contact a few you like the look of. Speak to them to get a feel for what they have to offer, language barrier should not be a problem if they are a reputable clinic, many of the staff in such places seem to be multi lingual so don't be afraid to speak to them (I know it is daunting enough to be thinking about IVF, never mind wondering if the person at the end of the phone can speak your language, I am awful at making calls and even I was OK about phoning up Spain!!)

Make sure you know what is included in the price, often the price quoted does not include the cost of drugs and you may also need to factor in possible scans here in the UK so you'll need to find out if you have to line up a UK clinic to assist you with this - I was paying about £100 for an ultra sound scan here. Lots of clinics offer a refund programme, eg, you pay up front for three cycles and if they all fail you get your money back (less cost of drugs) which is a gamble but possibly worth considering.

The other expense is of course travel and accommodation, some clinics offer an inclusive service where they assist in finding you hotels to stay and often they will arrange to meet you at the airport, a nice service which my DH and I probably would have appreciated if it had been on offer to us. You may need to decide whether you are going to stay in the country in question for the whole cycle or if you will go home to start your cycle and just travel in time for egg collection and stay until just after embryo transfer.

Basically, just be 100% sure of what you are doing before you do it, it's very easy to just go abroad for any kind of medical treatment without thinking it through properly, IVF is still a serious medical procedure and not something to be taken lightly, remember also that even cultural differences can be difficult to deal with. I even found that the Spanish treat you in a more matter of fact way than perhaps our doctors do here. I don't mean that they weren't caring, just different and it can be hard to take before you appreciate it's just their way.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit, if you take a look in our treatment abroad forum there are lots of threads about various clinics some of the girls have been to.

If you've got any other questions then feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

:goodluck: to you.

Love Gracie

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

FERTILITYZONE