You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 19 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "lil_confused" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2010

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 9:48pm

Not really sure where to begin

My partner has been told he has no sperm in his semen, he has had a test done twice with the same result. this was a couple of years ago with his ex partner.
As a child he had leukemia and went through chemotherapy, and we know this can cause infertility to 1 in 10 men.
Unfortunately my partner wasn't told what sort of test he had done and what options he had, he was referred to a private clinic at the time but couldn't afford to do it.
At this time I am not sure whether I can have children myself, but will soon be taking steps to find out. We are getting married in 2012 and know that we have a long process ahead of us to being able to have a child, so we want to start looking into it now, so that when we get married I will have either conceived or be close to conceiving.
I keep reading online, about men being told they have no sperm but then going private and finding at least one sperm in a sample, but none of them have mentioned chemotherapy.
I really just want to know if there is a teeney weeney chance that my partner will be able to have a biological child or if we will have to look at a donor.
If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, even if it's just directing me in the right place to look. I just really don't know where to start.

Oh I am 22 and my partner is 26

Sorry for such a long post.

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 10:28pm

Hi Hun. I'm older than you but in a similar situation. My dh had cancer as a child and chemo. He also had semen analysis returned as nada! He had a biopsy (tese) which showed he had spermatids but no mature sperm. From what i understand, even with chemo ( dhs was a very aggressive treatment) there is hope of finding sperm in the testes. I would take a read of the tese streams. Probably not what you want to hear, but we have gone the donor sperm route. We have been advised that more recently spermatids can be used and provision of drugs before can help improve results of tese. We haven't gone this route as we started the donor route before, and have some reservations on quality of embryos from this. This is purely me, as I am not a medical person.

Short of it is that there is a chance for you to have your own biological child. I really wish you the best of luck. If you want to know anything specifically, then pm me.

Welcome to fz. Xx

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

• "lil_confused" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2010

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 10:39pm

thanks for replying.

We had already convinced ourselves that we would have to go down the donor route anyway. It was only by chance that i came across the posts giving me just a little bit of hope.

I guess when he feels ready to (plus when we have saved up enough money) it might be worth trying a few more tests just to see what our chances are.

It's still very new and scary to me, especialy not knowing what my situation is either.

In a sad way it is nice to know we are not alone. :|

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 10:47pm

You aren't alone! There is hope for you, but I don't know if you can have tese on the nhs. But things move on all the time. It's worth a go. I think tese has about 40% or so success rate. Research your clinics first. Mine was fine, but there are probably better ones out there to deal with your situation. We've just changed clinics, and it's this new one that suggested we try tese with meds before as there is hope! So don't give up! Xx

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 10:53pm

Hi and welcome

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a male factor section HERE there is loads of information here, plus there are others there that know what you're going through.

There is a Male Factor FAQ section HERE which give loads of information about male fertility, tests and helpful tips too.

There is a thread, Life in the lab – for all your sperm questions HERE where you can ask for advice.

There is a rough guide to surgical sperm retrieval HERE this will give you an idea of what this procedure involves.

There is a donor chitter chatter thread HERE which is where a lot of people that have donor sperm or eggs hang out.

There is a clinic feedback & chat section HERE so you can look up your clinic and ask others any questions about it.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a sparkly name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13