You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "cathy" started this thread

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 5:53pm

how common are immune issues?

Hi everyone, I've had 5 unsuccessful goes at IVF/ICSI. I'm over 40 so I know this is most likely the reason, but I wondered what the chances of my having immune issues are? Does anyone have any info on this? I know the tests are very, very expensive, but am anxious about going ahead with more treatment (donor this time) if there's a chance it's not just my age. I tend to repsond very well to the stims. Thanks! Cathy xxx
Cathy

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Monday, May 24th 2010, 2:48pm

Hi Cathy,

unfortunately that info just isn't available.
My clinic find abnormalities on the Chicago tests in 80% of the women they test. However, these are a subset of women who not only already have fertility probs, but if they are having the Chiucago tests in the first place it's usually because of recurrent cycle failure or m/c or other probs on Level 1 tests that indicate a poss immune issue. In other words you'd expect to find higher numbers of abnormalities in that subset on women. Partly because the tests are so expensive, they aren't run on women without issues generally so it's not known what percentage of "normal" women have immune issues. Until this research is done, it would be hard to comment on the significance of the immune testing.

What I think is significant is that CARE and ARGC are the 2 clinics who do most immune testing and consistently get the best results. There undoubtedly other factors too but the immune testing and tx is likely to play a part.
Also IVF success rates in the US are consistently higher than in the UK, and immune testing is more commonplace over there.

Hope that helps.

xxx

Monday, May 24th 2010, 8:35pm

Dear Ruthie, thanks for the info. It's really helpful (and v interesting). Because I'm over 40 I just don't know if my failed treatments are my age or possibly immune issues, so I'm not really sure what to do next. I've had what look like good quality embryos. Wishing you lots of luck for your treatment! Cathy xxx
Cathy

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 9:52am

Hi Ruthie, can you tell me how much the Level 1 tests cost? Wishing you lots and lots of luck for your next treatment, Cathy xxx :cuddle
Cathy

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 11:58am

cathy I dont think it has to be your age. if you buy Dr Beer's is your body baby friendly? book then I think you will see that he also thinks its not purely down to age and has treated older ladies successfully. If your embies look good then you still have a chance. his view is that if you still ovulate, then there is every chance you can still have a baby.

How about getting the book, having a look and going to an immune friendly clinic to discuss it with them?
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 12:18pm

The Level 1 tests are usually done by the NHS and the usual indication is recurrent m/c. They include things like thyroid function, antiphospholipid antibodies, ANA and clotting studies. My old IVF clinic arranged them for me but your GP might be able to. This link below came courtesy of MAvis and has a lot of info in when you down load the PDF.

http://www.rcog.org.uk/womens-health/cli…iage-green-top-

xxx

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 2:28pm

Thanks, Bravegirl and Ruthie. I'm going to look into this. I wonder if I'd be eligible for NHS treatment for Level 1 tests if I'm over 40? Lots of love, Cathy xxx
Cathy