You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 13 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "louise54005" started this thread

Reg: Feb 2nd 2010

Friday, May 7th 2010, 12:52pm

Clomid stopped working??

Hi everyone

I am after some advice. I am on my 4th round of clomid at the moment and I am really worried that it has stopped working! I ovulated fine on rounds 1 and 2 (on 50mg)- but then on round 3 ovulation was not confirmed (although I believe I ovulated late on CD27).

Because of this the FS has put me on 100mg for the next 4 cycles as he thought 50mg might be slightly too weak for me. However.... I am now on my first round of 100mg and I am on CD18 and no ovulation!! I have had pains in both ovaries on and off for about a week and I have had "nearly" positive OPKs for 5 days now- but none have actually gone positive!! (temps are still low too so I know I haven't ov'ed!)

Why would the 50mg work each month but now I have been upped to 100mg there is nothing???

Thanks

L xxx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, May 7th 2010, 1:34pm

Hi Louise

Am I correct in remembering that you aren't getting any scans, only Day21 bloods, and you have PCOS?

As you have PCOS, you really can't rely on OPK's at all. Some women have generally high LH levels, making it difficult to know when you are truly ovulating, also PCOS can cause elevated LH levels, and a woman with PCOS may or may not actually ovulate.

You might also get a positive OPK result and not ovulate under other circumstances. For example, your body can prepare to ovulate, leading to an LH surge, and then your body fails to release an egg due to illness, stress or some other cause. Once the egg fails to release, your LH surge will drop and your cervical mucus will dry up. Your body may try to ovulate again once the stress factor is resolved, or you may not ovulate again until your next cycle. It is a good idea to chart other signs of ovulation, such as cervical mucus to confirm that the LH surge does indeed indicate ovulation.

Also, Clomid can sometimes cause OPK's to give false results, I think most actually carry a warning about this now on their leaflets?

The problem with ovulation kits, or even formal, laboratory assays, is that they only detect the "LH Surge" , the hormone rise that is meant to trigger ovulation. However this rise in LH does not always lead to ovulation, for various reasons. These kits are therefore tests for LH hormone, not for ovulation. You need other tests to show that ovulation DID occur in that cycle.

The *only* way to know if Clomid is doing what it should with you is to have tracking scans through your consultant/GP. I am sorry if that sounds like a stuck record but it sounds to me that they are not giving you the assistance you need with this

x

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 3:05pm

Hiya,

Ditto everything Eeyore just said!

You really should be being scanned as well as having bloods.

I was just having bloods and got OHSS while on clomid and I still didn't ovulate!!

With clomid you generally ovulate 5 - 10 days after the last tablet. So the late ovulation may have been your body ovulating on its own despite clomid failing.

:hugs:

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

• "louise54005" started this thread

Reg: Feb 2nd 2010

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:11pm

Thanks girls

I have tried asking about scans again and I was told "no"- they don't do them here at all under any circumstances- so that's a no go I'm afraid. The FS even told me if my 21 day level was good this cycle then I am not allowed to have any more blood tests for the future cycles and just have to go it alone!!! Although obviously my 21 day test won't be good this month so that may change.

I have heard that about PCOS and OPKs - but I have never had a problem before. I have been using them for 3 years now and they were always completely blank all cycle on natural cycles (as I have never ovulated on my own) - and for the first three clomid cycles they worked perfectly with a beautiful fade in and out pattern the two days around ovulation. This is the first month they have been constantly dark for days (they are not positive though) - they seem to have faded off today though and are starting to blank out again.

I ovulated on CD14 on the first clomid cycle, then CD18 on the second and then Cd27 on the third. That is why he doubled me up, as ovulation was getting later and later each time and my 21 day levels were not superb although did confirm ovulation

xxx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:18pm

It isn't just PCOS that can cause false positives, it's Clomid too as it causes the release of LH.

The *ONLY* was that you can know if Clomid is working for you is with scans, so can you not have them privately? It's just wrong that they can give you a drug without any way of knowing if it is working for you and to then say they will stop your bloods is dangerous in my opinion.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 13 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE