You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Welsh lady" started this thread

Reg: Jun 23rd 2009

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 6:12pm

Advice on protocol

HI,

I have had two failed cycles of IVF and am going to be having my 3rd cycle in the next couple of months, really confused as to what protocol I should be on as i have always thought that poor responders go on the short? Well on my first cycle I went on the long protocol as they said I was young and healthy (having ivf due to my husbands chromosone balanced translocation) I only had 6 eggs, 4 fertilised 3 had the bad chromosones and the last one didnt stick when i had it implanted. They were very supprised i responded so poorly so put me on the short protocol and this time I only had 3 eggs, 1 fertilised but had the bad chromosones so wasnt transfered. Going to see the docs next week but just wanted some stories or advice so I know what protocol I want to go on this time. Not sure if the short one that I did was maybe just bad luck and next time will be better.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 5th 2008

Children: Yes please!

Monday, March 8th 2010, 5:36pm

Hi

I have had both long and short protocols. My understanding was that you get a better response/more eggs with the long protocol. When I did the LP I had about 20 eggs and ended up with 7 embies that were good enought to use. When I did the SP, I was on a lower dosage of the stimming drug (so it seems this can be varied as well) and had about 10 eggs ended up with 5 embies that were good enough to use. Not a big difference but I felt a lot better on the SP as didn't feel so uncomfortable after EC, as didn't have so many eggs. A big difference in the number of eggs but not in the number of embies that could be used. I guess you need to ask your con the reasons why they went for SP the second time. Do you remember whether you took the same amount of the stimming drug?

Sorry this probably isn't much help
Beanie5
Me 38 [zx076] DH 43
(ICSI x 4, FET x 6 - 2 early losses)
Tx no. 10 - Immune Protocol through Dr Gorgy :BFP:
MY DIARY

• "Welsh lady" started this thread

Reg: Jun 23rd 2009

Monday, March 8th 2010, 7:25pm

Thanks very much for replying, I used a higher dosage of drugs the second time and had loads of little folicles but they didnt catch up with the 4 bigger ones on time. Im going back to speak to them next week I just dont want them to fob me off as it seems to me i should have stayed on the LP. Although like you I prefered the short but this might be my last chance and I want to make sure they get it right this time.

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Tuesday, March 9th 2010, 12:10pm

Hi, I've only ever been on the short protocol but don't get great results. I too am wondering if I should change protocols. I get lots of follicles (30 last time) and a good number of eggs (20 one time, 15 another), but they're not good quality, with only a few fertilizing. Welsh Bird, I'd try to talk to your consultant about this and get an explanation about the different protocols. I've only met mine once after 4 goes at IVF and am now heading for my 5th go without having met him either to discuss the possibility of changing protocols. Wishing you lots of luck, Cathy xxx
Cathy

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE