You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

old_leo

• "old_leo" started this thread

Reg: Jan 11th 2010

Monday, January 11th 2010, 3:35pm

Newbie with (a long story and) some questions

Hello all

Have been lurking around the forum for the past couple of days and thought I would introduce myself and just check that our experiences are par for the course.

Myself and my wife have been married for 5 years now and following the first 2 years of trying unsuccessfully, we were referred to our local NHS trust and first seen in clinic about 2 and a half years ago. We then bounced around the system until the back end of last year when it was decided that they would monitor my wife's cycle. Over the course of the month they discovered a cyst- at this point they took blood for my wife for "cancer tumour markers" and then never bothered to call us to let us know that it wasnt malignant-and six weeks later in clinic the consultant decided that this needed to be taken out and scheduled my wife for a procedure. This went ahead at the start of November. Procedure went well with no issues, some slight endometriosis discovered, which prompted the consultant to say in his post op rounds that the next step would be IUI which he would make the arrangements for.

Fast forward to the start of this month and as we still had been sent no letter, my wife called the consultants office to be told that he had moved to the other hospital on the other side of the city and no one had his number. So we called the RMU- which had also moved to the other side of the city and no one had the new number. After a couple of days of calling different numbers we got through to the right person who has booked us in for the next available outpatients appointment which is in March. Naturally we are a little concerned that the consultant didnt add us on to the IUI list following the Op in Nov and are now anxious to find out how much longer we will have to wait after the outpatients appointment in March.

Along the way we have had appointments cancelled by the hospital at short notice with no reason given, they managed to lose my sample twice, we've had the wrong pre op instructions sent to my wife- the whole experience has been downright scary, especially after being told that they would take blood to rule out a cancerous tumour and then not told what the results of those tests were.

My question to those of you who have been through this - do our experiences sound "normal?" Am I wrong to think that we've experienced a sub par level of treatment?

My second question is that given our consultant also works privately, if we wanted to move the process on would it be useful to see him privately or would that impair our chances of being given IUI on the NHS?

The most ironic thing about the whole of the last two years- My Wife is a doctor and I'm an NHS manager in the same hospital that we are being treated in!

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Monday, January 11th 2010, 3:49pm

Hi there and welcome to FZ!

I'm sorry to hear about your journey so far and it does sounds as if you've been messed about a fair bit.

We too were messed about at the beginning but I emailed the cons outlining the situation and he was very concerned and responded immediately, is this something you could do? We eventually saw the same consultant privatley as we had enough of waiting around on the NHS. However it would be worth checking with your PCT what the criteria is with regards to funding as going privately could indeed hinder your chances of funding depending on your PCT's criteria.

I'm sure all the other ladies will be along with more info very shortly and I hope your journey is a short one!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

betz

Ace

Reg: Mar 13th 2009

Monday, January 11th 2010, 5:15pm

Hey guys,

Welcome to FZ. Im glad you have found this site cos there is such a wealth of information on here and so many people that there will always be someone who has the answer to your questions.

We also started off being referred by the GP to local hosp and felt that the treatment that we received was appauling. We were told different things by several different docs over the course of a 12 month period. Our hopes for being referred on for IVF were constantly being raised and dashed. Eventually we went to our GP amd expressed our concerns and told him that we wanted to be referred privately. GP said that he would refer us onto JRH. When we got there, we found out that we were still being treated on NHS and had a further 8 months before finally deciding to go for IVF privately. Our experience at the JRH was completely and untterly different. I think it all depends on which hosp you are under and what they are like.

My advice to you would be to look in the section of this site under clinics and post questions about your hosp on the relevant thread for your hosp. If you are concerned about that hosp (and I would be) go back to GP and ask for an NHS referral to somewhere else. I agree that you need to check out the criteria for NHS funding before you do anything privately. However, I adont think that having some consultations or investigations privately don't automatically exclude you from funding? But check that first! One thing is for sure, if you want to speed things up then private is the way forward. If you can afford it, my experience is that it really is worth is. For example, last may I had a procedure called ovarian drilling. It didnt do as it was supposed to and so I called the hosp to ask for a consultation appt. I was given one for January. My husband called and kicked up a fuss and in the end asked for a private appt. It is now Jan and we are just coming to the end of our first IVF cycle which would never ever have happened on NHS.

You must be exhausted. In my opinion, the beginning part of fertility stuff (ie, the investigations, minor ops, tests, cock ups!, lack of info) is the worst part of it all.Not only are you coming to terms with the fact that things haven't worked out for you as you would have hoped but you are being messed about too.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask,
Betz.
Betz

PCOS, TTC since 2006. Metformin, Clomid x 8. Ovarian Drilling - May 09
IVF Jan 10 - BFN :sadface:
FET May 10 - brief BFP :sadface:

Reg: Aug 3rd 2009

Monday, January 11th 2010, 8:01pm

Firstly Welcome to FZ.

I have experienced many problems under the nhs, they misdiagnosed our fertility problem this led to me having major surgery after a mistake made in minor surgery i never needed in the first place. I have been judged by staff and have received other peoples results!

The only way i sorted this was by leaving the hospital, i went to the gp and asked to go to a certain one. she advised we can choose any clinic in the country now under new rules. Within 2 months of being at the new hospital we had the correct diagnosis and 6 months later i fell pregnant after icsi.

I hope you find a way to sort this out x
TTC since 05. 2 mc, 1 nat 1 IVF. Diagnosed with APS.IVF apr 11 :BFP: Fletcher was born xmas day '11!

betz

Ace

Reg: Mar 13th 2009

Tuesday, January 12th 2010, 5:22pm

If you can chose a clinic, even under NHS, then this is definately worth doing. Not sure where you live but OFU is excellant. Have a look in clinic section and see what you find.
Betz

PCOS, TTC since 2006. Metformin, Clomid x 8. Ovarian Drilling - May 09
IVF Jan 10 - BFN :sadface:
FET May 10 - brief BFP :sadface: