You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

honeyz

• "honeyz" started this thread

Reg: Oct 13th 2009

Saturday, December 19th 2009, 11:21pm

steriods and side effects like moon face

Hi everyone I hav been ttc for 13 yrs no pregnancies yet 2 failed ivf's and 3 failed iuis. Its all unexplained. Well I know that the only other thing it could be is immunology. But this has really been playin on my mind since iv started to find out about it. I really really dnt want to take all the those meds i.e the heparin (made from pigs blood) the ivig or any of it. I wish I didnt knw about this stuff but now i do i feel like im not doing everythign I can to help my situation. Has any1 else felt this way. My hospital says that they would only consider giving steriods and I thought that would be ok but now reading that most ppl get moon face and put on weight and have numerous other side effects is really scareing me. Iv even read first hand from ppl saying tht their face or body never returned to its former glory. Its not that im being vain i dnt mind putting weight on naturally as I can do sometihg about it but apparently the moon face is fat depositing around your face and even if you watch what you eat you still have it and ppl have said that thy have become unregonisable. this and the muscle weakness and bone mass reduction and all the other nasty side effects is making me realy scared to pursue this route. I do want a baby though but not if it harms my own health or looks permanantely.

My question is that has any1 taken a steriod which has not had that many side effects but still managed to get a bfp?

ps. im not being vain but with the infertility and another auto immune skin condition all I need is a hairy acne moon face with a back hump and extra weight I think tht jst might push me off the edge. :bawl:
honeybee

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: 1 DD - 2005

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 5:55am

Hi Honey Bee..
No one thinks you are vain hun, these are totally reasonable worries to have. We should always show some concern when we are filling our bodies full of meds. The good news regarding the steroids from what I can see is that for problems such as ours the dosage required is a small dose and therefore side effects while still possible are less likely. I am going to be having steroids on my upcoming tx and feel that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Like I say, I think it is quite unlikely that we will devolop the moon face on the low dose that we will be on. I believe (without getting out of bed to check!!!) I will be starting on 5mg either once or twice a day then it will increase I think to 10mg twice a day. I just read on the internet that 20mg per day is considered a low dose.
I hope this info helps honey...and I hope you are soon able to make the decision you feel happy with. Good Luck

Jan 05:BFP:
2007 - 2010 - 7 x :BFN:
DD 5yrs Old - Time to [zx103]

honeyz

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 12:19pm

thnx for replying erkani I really appreicate that.
Could you please tell me If you are taking prednisalone or dexamthasone?? What made you decide on which steriod to take? Does one have less side effects?
Also are you doing the full immune protocol or jst taking steriods only?
So do most women not get the side effects weight gain and moon face with this low dose?
I would appreciate some more experience from ladies who have taken these steriods as well plz ladies help me out did you get the side effects and if so did you ever return back to normal. Has anyone got a bfp with just steriods and not all the immune drugs?
thanking you all so much for taking your time to reply
honeybee

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: 1 DD - 2005

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 12:42pm

H Honeyz,
I have been prescribed prednisolone. I had no say in anything it was the dr to decide which meds he wanted to put me on. I will also be on clexane injections which like heparin is a blood thinner and I will be having the intralipid infusion. Unfortunately I can't help you with regards to side effects having never actually been though it (yet) but from reading on the internet it appears to be a low dose I have been prescribed. Onc I am underway with the treatment perhaps I will be more help to you!! Good luck again!

Jan 05:BFP:
2007 - 2010 - 7 x :BFN:
DD 5yrs Old - Time to [zx103]

Tinkerbell09

Member left

• "Tinkerbell09" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 31st 2009

Children: LWH

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 1:29pm

Hi I am taking prednisilone steriods 25mg been taking them since i got my bfp i am 5wks 2 days pg today and i have noticed i have put on some weight the steriods make you eat more and my cheeks look a little bit fatter than normal but you eat lots when pg its pg hormones and then steriods makes you eat lots - think of it this way if steriods work and fix the problem ( our reason for taking them) Then sod it - worry about the problems afterwards - I know a few people who got moon face well knot know them but read there posts and theres went away it was not permenant and i was on them for 2 weeks lat mth but had a early mc and i am pg again and been on them for 2wks again and have not got a face that is like a moon face :snigger: (yet!!) xfingers but every drug comes with side effects and not everyone gets moon face and not everyone gets side effects - dont be worrying about it :cuddle

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: (6 angels in heaven) 2 girls a previous relationship, and now a baby boy thanks to treatment

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 9:30pm

Hi Honey

I have been on Prednisolone 10mg for about 6 months! and I haven't got moonface! but i did get a bit of a 5 O'clock shadow! but nothing that a bit of hair removal cream didn't sort out. I haven't put on any weight, in fact I lost nearly half a stone with this pregnancy, and am now back to my original weight!

Good luck in whatever you decide

Lou xxx
Need reproductive immunology success stories please 2 help others :)

have u got immune issues?

honeyz

Monday, January 4th 2010, 3:31pm

tinkerbell09

"think of it this way if steriods work and fix the problem ( our reason for taking them) Then sod it "
Yeh Tinkerbell ur absolutely right, the big question is that if it works. Well if it worked then sod it indeed!
but Im afraid im yee of little faith after soo long trying. So dnt think anything will work jst exhausting all the options of all the treatment available so I dnt luk back and think I didnt try everthing in my power to make it work.
I guess I am just worried that ill end up with the side effects and then no pregnancy and that would jst add to my troubles if you know what I mean.
As most women taking immune drugs and steriods can get pregnant but unfortunately miscarry. In my case no pregnancies at all just unexplained infertility so kind of thinking it prob wont work for me :bawl:
honeybee

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, January 4th 2010, 5:15pm

I had no side effects from the steroids and definitely no moon face! I did put on weight, but that was purely down to comfort eating during TX.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: (6 angels in heaven) 2 girls a previous relationship, and now a baby boy thanks to treatment

Wednesday, January 6th 2010, 4:21pm

Hi honeybee

Have you had you immune system checked? I would reccomend Alan Beer's book, is your body baby friendly, Do you tend to never get ill? - for me, that was a clue I had immune issues. I had my immune system tested at the ARGC in London.

Lou xxx
Need reproductive immunology success stories please 2 help others :)

have u got immune issues?

honeyz

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 9:22pm

louloulouisa

hi louloulouisa nope i havnt got checked , I have read beer's book though I must admit it put more of an emphasis on ppl with reoccurrant misscarriages and less on unexplained infertility.
Did you take all the immune drugs and did they work first time?
Many congrats on ur bfp
Could you share some of what you have been through to get your bfp please.
I sumtimes think its mayb too late for me as im 39 already :bawl:
I have heard of miracle stories, its just hard to imagine that I would be a miracle story.
My new yr resolution is postive thinking, iv read that it what you focus on most is what you end up with in life.
So here's to positive thinking and lots of praying.
honeybee

deedee1

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 10:26pm

Hi Honeyz,

I too had recurrent IVF failure which was immune related. When I had mine tested my killer cells were very high.

If you don't like Ivig why not try intralipids? On my one successful FET (which unfortunately I miscarried at 12 weeks) I had 4 intralipids which is made of soy I think (all natural and safe anyway). i was also on 25mg of steroids which did make my face go a bit moon! But I really did overeat which didn't help. After the m/c my face and weight went back to normal. I've had another FET since ehich didn't work, but I watched my diet throughout and there was no weight gain or moon face. In fact, people were telling me that I lost weight!.

So don't worry about taking them, you will go back to normal after if you do get side effects.

honeyz

Wednesday, January 13th 2010, 1:01am

deedee

thnx Deedee I may hav to go down that route its just that its soo expensive and im not sure we will be able to have it. Im planning on doin 1 more ivf with jst the steriods and if that doesnt work then I guess the last ivf we will try the immune testing and therapy if we can.
Im soo sorry to hear bout ur mc it must av been so hard for u. Iv neva actually been pregnant but at times I convinced my self i might be and wen af showed up it really made me feel miserable. But to acutally knw ur pregnant i reallly do feel for u deedee u r realy strong to hav gone through it.

I honestly from the bottom of my heart wish for 2010 to be ur year for a sticky bean.
good luck xxx [zx127]
honeybee