You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ivy

Ace

• "ivy" started this thread

Reg: Sep 20th 2009

Children: Zara Ellis

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 5:22pm

NHS funded IVF (St Mary) and Array CGH (Care)

Hi ladies,

Im going for my first IVF consultation at SM's on 16 Dec, and already preparing some FAQs. This might sound silly, but can anyone give me some tips on what not to ask?

The thing is, me & DH are happy to carry on with SM on IVF but want to go private i.e. just to get array CGH from Care to maximize the chances, but worried if it might affect NHS funding.

We are not well off people, thus 3 free goes on NHS is god sent, its just that I am keeping my hopes up and can't bear the thought if its not working.

Any tips/suggestions?
First IVF - March 2010 :BFP:

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 9:33pm

Ask absolutely EVERYTHING you feel you need to know. There's nothing worse than leaving a fertility appt and then kicking yourself because you forgot to ask x y or z. Oh and don't be embarrassed to write them all down too, to make sure you remember them all!

In my past experience you can ask for the extra add on bits for tx, and pay for those, that shouldn't be a problem. But that's another question to ask at your appointment, it won't be held against you at all.
:goodluck: on the 16th/ :D

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

ivy

Ace

Monday, December 7th 2009, 8:00pm

:thanx: chatterbox, i'll keep that in mind :hmm:

babydust to u on the 14, let us know how u get on ok

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 5:18pm

Hi ivy,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think it's more of a PCT decision as to whether you can combine NHS with private treatment in this way. If you're having IVF at St Mary's, all your notes etc will be there, so CARE may not be able to work in this way. Definitely need to look into this one. As for transportation of eggs from one lab to another for the Array CGH, I can't see this working somehow.

As for what not to ask, I'd say that there is nothing you shouldn't ask - better to ask and get some kind of answer than not ask and be left wondering. It's a complex procedure, so you want to be armed with as much info and as many options as possible.

Good luck! :happy:
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Aiwah" (Dec 16th 2009, 5:18pm)

ivy

Ace

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 11:16pm

guess what aiwah? i decided not to ask because i was shell shocked that SM only funds 1 cycle of IVF as i live in Victoria Park... i think i better save up to go private if its failed, touch wood!

Saturday, December 19th 2009, 8:43am

Sorry to hear that you only get one cycle from your PCT. It's a blow, but I really hope that you're one of the lucky ones where you get a BFP first time - it's not impossible, just stay positive.

(BTW it's not SM who decide how many you get, it's the PCT for the area where you live. SM just get paid by them for providing your treatment.)

Good luck for February and have a good Christmas in the meantime!!

:happy:
TWINS!!

ivy

Ace

Saturday, December 19th 2009, 7:31pm

oops, yup i mean my PCT not SM... i hope so too, cant wait! evil2

anyhoo, do u know whether i can appeal to get more goes? or should i move elsewhere? nerner

u have a good xmas too, i bet this is the best xmas eva for u innit? xmas32

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 9:53am

Hehe, yes it'll be a good Christmas - even better if the scan date could be a few days earlier, but hey!! :happy:

I'm not sure on the appeals procedure, but I can't see them giving any more unless something (god forbid) goes terribly wrong with your first cycle, or you have it cancelled before EC for example. As for moving house for more cycles, seems a bit drastic, but you'll have to see whether it counts against you that you've already been referred under your current PCT. It's such a minefield and a lottery...... :smile:
TWINS!!

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Saturday, January 9th 2010, 6:15pm

hey ivy,we are on the waiting list for sm,but have been told it could be a long while before we get our turn.like you we not made of money but have been told if we have a private go it wont effect our nhs go.we have left our names on the sm waiting list and have our first consult/bloods with bridgewater hosbital next wk,so if u can afford to have a private go then go for it ivy we only had to wait two wks before we got our first consult,keep me posted on you're experiance with sm hun xxx

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, January 9th 2010, 10:43pm

Definitely ask away in your consultation, as Chatterbox says, nothing you say will be held against you and it is very important you get answers to ALL of your questions.

If you can afford to, I would say a private cycle is worth it. Even if you don't get a BFP and still need an NHS cycle, you will have learned so much about the whole process. And the NHS go is more likely to work once they know how you responded before. That is very valuable information that brings you closer to your goal.

Hope that helps,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

ivy

Ace

Monday, March 1st 2010, 9:35am

omg, i didnt realize i had a reply on this thread, soz ladies... guess what? i thought i could get 3 free goes, but unfortunately only 1 free goes for me - postcode lottery sucks :thumbdown: fyi, i started my first fresh cycle free goes tx feb/mar, so xfingers i'll be lucky the first time! xfingers i produce plenty eggs to freeze for FET...

if it doesn't work still, i even consider to move house to get funding from other PCT [zx065]

mavis - its tempting to go private, but that means personal loan for me [zx004]

ivy

Ace

Monday, March 1st 2010, 10:05am

aiwah, ive been doing some research and u were right, appeal process only on exceptional factors... i produced lotsa follies, so xfingers i hv plenty for FET if it doesnt work the first time... moving house a bit drastic, i know, but i'll figure summat if it doesn't goes to plan... the waiting list wasn't too bad now, maybe worth moving after all :P

going private - very tempting, but that means forking money from the banks ie. personal loan, credit cards etc :thumbdown:

this ivf journey is killing me boy :pinch:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE