You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jessta

• "jessta" started this thread

Reg: Dec 6th 2009

Children: none

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 2:23pm

Endometrial cyst and IVF/ICSI

Hi there,

We are in the innitial stages of looking at ICSI. My husband has quite severe fertility issues -very low sperm count, no motility and low normal morphology.

I have endometriosis which has been operated on once. I had three chocolate cysts removed as well as extensive adhesions. It must have been there for a while but generally only gets painful during periods so I didnt really know anything was wrong until one of the cysts exploded.

Currently - I have a 5cm endometrial cyst on my right ovary which totally covers it. In the ultrasound scan that we had to look at the follicles on the ovary - they couldn't see if there were any follicles on the right ovary. The left one was positive.

My gynacologists says that it may be best to remove the cyst but says that there is a risk that they will need to remove the ovary as this is the second time that I have had surgery. I am very hesitant to lose it.

Is it possible to obtain eggs though IVF even if the ovary is obscured? Has anyone been in the same boat as me ... how did it work out?

Thanks
Jess

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 3:27pm

I also have an endometroma, about 3 cm on my right ovary. My clinic are reluctant to remove it cos they said that by removing it and having another op (I've had 3) it may reduce the response of that ovary and damage it. I think now they don't remove them if you are having fertility tx. The thing is that the drugs make them grow.
I think it's up to you. I won't be removing mine.
Good luck!

United Kingdom

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 5:54pm

hi have just been through ICSI and i had two endometrial cysts one on each ovary measuring 7cm and my last scan they had grown after DR so i went in and had them drained 4 days before i started stimms and i was ok at EC i got 25 follies and of them there were 21 eggs. So i think you should be fine, i will however have to get them removed at some point when my treatment finishes.

I hope this helps you and good luck xx

Reg: Jul 29th 2009

Children: One day please

Monday, December 7th 2009, 11:53am

hi Jessta,

Fertility docs have differing opinions on whether to remove endometriomas (medical term for chocolate cysts) when you're having IVF/ICSI, especially if they're asymptomatic. I had a laparoscopy in 2007 and had some adhesions removed and my cyst drained. It's gradually grown over the past couple of years and is now about 5cm. My consultant is reluctant to remove it as I am still getting follies from that ovary and he wants to conserve ovarian tissue. I've had 6 rounds of ICSI, all negative. While our negative outcomes are unlikley to be all down to the endometrioma, there is some evidence that endometriomas can affect embryo implantation. So after getting a second opinion from another clinic and some unofficial advice from a gynaecologist friend, I'm going to request another op to remove the endometrioma before we proceed with any more IVF cycles. But then after 6 cycles I'm in a different place to you!!

Obviously it's a balance of conserving your ovaries and getting some eggs to fertilise and put back as little embryos, but would ask your doc a few more questions before you decide either way.

Good luck doll!

xx

6 x ICSI 2008/2009, all BFN
ICSI #7 ARGC July 2010 BFN
FET December 2010 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]
Violet Mirabel and Finlay Thomas born 31st July 2011

Lucky Number 7 - Itcher's ICSI Diary

jessta

Monday, December 7th 2009, 6:24pm

Thanks for this
Jess

jessta

Sunday, December 20th 2009, 12:53pm

Cysts & endo

Hi there,

We have now had our consultation with the clinic and they have advised that I get the cyst aspirated and then they will put me on down regulaters (i think) which will put me into a state of menapause for two months. Thereafter they will start the up regulation. I really hope this works.

Interestingly - I can't shake the feeling that my endometriosis is fading and that I have had an hormonal shift. I have been taking Fish Oil capsules for 3 months now. The reason I started was because my Mum, who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, took these and noticed a difference in her pain and swelling. As I maintain that Endo is as a result of the immune system not functioning correctly (and knowing that the RA is an immune disorder)it made sense to me to try and balance it out.

I definately noticed a difference in my swelling/ bloating within a couple of weeks. I also stopped getting all those random twinges of pain. I am very lucky - I don't have too many symptoms of the endo - just bloating, cramps now and then when the cysts leak and painful periods and very heavy bleeding.However it is considered to be extensive and I get the lot - adhesions, endometriomas etc. There really is no consistency to this condition.

BUT - the most interesting thing has been that for TWO months in a row - I have had absolutely no PMS (my breast used to ache and swell - now nothing). Also - NO period pains. Period is heavy but not like it has been (no flooding). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

The other thing leading me to belive that hormonal issues at play - is that about 2/3 of my underarm and pubic hair has just fallen out. Has anyone ever had this. I have also made some changes to my diet - only eating organic meat and dairy now.

All thoughts welcome.

Jess

Reg: Jan 2nd 2009

Children: None yet, but still hopeful

Tuesday, December 22nd 2009, 10:44am

Hi Jess,

I'm with you on thinking that endo is related to immune disorders. My mum had a hysterectomy at 33 due to an endo-related condition and now suffers with fibromyalgia (similar to ME/chronic fatigue but with symptoms like RA as well). I'm starting to notice the same symptoms in myself now and about 7 years ago I was tested for RA and lupus because I had such bad swelling in my joints around the same time I had HUGE gynae flare-ups. It was also related to stress, overwork and being on a ridiculous diet which bordered on obsessive but it was the only thing I felt I was in control of at the time.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with endo and in July had a lap to remove adhesions, cysts and fibroids. Within 3 months they were back worse than before and we had to take immediate action because the endometrioma was almost completely covering one of my ovaries and the other one was too far away to reach for EC when we do IVF. I was put on the pill that day but it caused major mood swings, depression and migraines, so after 1 month I demanded they take me off them.

I'm now on buserelin (which you sniff and is the drug you're talking about) and taking fish oil (started about 5-6 weeks ago). In the last 2-3 weeks I've noticed a big difference. The annoying dull ache in my ovaries and around my bowel has practically gone. My boobs which were filled with cysts and were rock hard are now soft and youthful again (DH is very pleased that I let him touch them without screaming :snigger: ). I've also been doing meditations and visualisations to try and get my body to realise that the endo tissue is not normal and needs to be re-absorbed - apparently something that happens with endo sufferers is that the body doesn't realise the cells are in the wrong place so the immune system doesn't do anything with them and they continue to grow. With 'normal' women any cells which have drifted are broken down and reabsorbed into the body before they have the chance to latch on and cause any damage.

I can't comment on the hairloss - I suggest you talk to your doctor about that to find out what's causing it.

I do hope you find a solution to all of this and I'm sending you lots of blowkiss blowkiss blowkiss
Me 36 DH 43
TTC since 1998 - 'unexplained'
Endo on bowel, ovaries and lots of scarring/adhesions found early 2009, removed in July 09
Scan 3 months later and all grown back worse than before
Awaiting funding approval for IVF and hope to start early 2010

:hello:
Come and visit me at my NEW IVF Diary - Froggie's IVF Diary

jessta

Thursday, December 31st 2009, 11:36am

Hi Froggie,

Thanks for this. I agree with everything you are saying. I read a very good book which looked at this in more depth. One of the underlying principles (this is a very simplistic version of the book theories) was that the immune system has a memory ( makes sense when you think about it - ie ) it remembers that diseases that we have had and even those from our grandparents through DNA). As such - the theory is (backed up by Science) that the Immune system responds to thoughts like the brain does. It showed the production of certain chemicals which are seen when they are monitoring thoughts in the brain. Also - we have proof that the immune system responds to stress.... So it seems like quite a sound theory to me and also fits with my beliefs of the mind body spirit trilogy.

SO in a nutshell - I do believe that if you can somehow (don't ask me how) communicated to your immune system.... makes sense to me that it would be through your thoughts. I also do healing meditations and visualisation ( have been a bit slack recently - work etc).

BTW - the book was ’Reclaim Your Life - Your Guide to Aid Healing of Endometriosis’ by Carolyn Levett. She is also the author of the endo - resolved website. You have probably seen this one. I find it very useful. Another website whichI have fouind very useful as a general guide to good health is drbenkim.com/ Unlike other health websites - he writes full articles with very good explanantions.

So - fingers crossed for 2010 ... am sure it will be a great one ! As of January 2nd me and DH will be on a strict regime of no drinking, healthy eating and relaxation to get ourselves ready for ICSI in March so will enjoy my last night. Who knows - if we are blessed enough for it to work ... it may be the last time I drink for quite some time !!

Take care

Jx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE