You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Welshbird

Megastar

• "Welshbird" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "Welshbird" started this thread

Reg: Mar 8th 2008

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 4:54pm

What medical grounds?

Our info pack arrived and we have read thru it and there is a section about medical reports etc ...

There is a section that says if you have had any medical condition that has has lead to seeing a consultant, then they want all reports from this consultant.

DH has bad kidneys. I dont mean that they ache now an again, i mean they are BAD! One doesnt work (they are at the moment considering removing this kidney) and the other works just 90% - he see's consultants every 6-12mths for different sorts of scans and tests etc, and sometimes even has to fly to London for appts (we live in Northern ireland) he hasnt been able to get any sort of health insurance because of this - as soon as the insurance company gets his medical reports, they refuse him!! For him to actually get in touch with all consultants (also at our own expense) would take an age, he has been seeing them since the day he was born ... im really not sure he could go thru with another rejection of this kind if he belives we were refused because of this. Does anyone have any idea about this???

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 8:24pm

RE: What medical grounds?

Hi,

I am obviously not a social worker nor adoption agency staff so I have little expert knowledge about this. However I have worked with couples going through adoption both in thie country and abroad.

The reason for this asking such questions is obviously so as not to place a child in a household and family, where there is major risk of either parent becoming infirmed or dying prematurely. Or where the child's health or wellfare could be put at risk by the parents health conditions, such perhaps as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, major physical handicaps etc.

As I have said in another post only a few days ago, agencies see adopting parents as a resource rather than as needy or deserving couples. They see adoption less as a solution to childlessness and more a solution to parentlessness. As there are so few heathy, young babies for adoption, it is a seller's market as far as the adoption agencies see it, and they have a wide choice of people to choose from.

So in asking for consultant reports they are assessing the longlevity of you both and to ensure that their child will not be placed in an at risk environment. In responding to this, and with respect to DH's renal problems, you need to focus on the continuing abilities of DH to manage and cope, the chronic nature of his condition which he has managed to live with for many years. After all, with care it is possible to survive on just 10-20% of kidney function, which is why living kidney donation is common and safe.

So you need the reports to be as positive as they can be about his future, and about how well he is coping in the present. It is the most recent consultants, and his GP who can be most helpful and reassuring. He has lived to adulthood with his problem and is not about to go into an imminent and acute crisis.

I am sorry of the above is all a little of a waffle, but I hope that some of it has been helpful.

Good luck.

Paul
x
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE