You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wrinkles

• "wrinkles" started this thread

Reg: Oct 21st 2009

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 10:53am

help needed re prescription

my DH recently visited a urologist for the first time. we've been ttc for 5 yrs now :sadface: he was prescribed CIPROFLOXACIN for possible epididymitis and asked to do a sperm test after finishing the course. After a little research on my part it seems these drugs can have a negative effect on sperm production and mobililty? im really confused now, as we dont want to make a bad situation worse, so should he take them or not? are the negative effects temporary? please help!

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: We now have a gorgeous new little baby daughter! can't believe i can say that now!!! :D

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 12:04pm

Hi huni,

i'm not an expert on meds but i know that many (not all) antibiotics will have a negative impact on sperm count. It shouldn't be a permanent thing though. Once the drug is completely out of the system you will probably notice a change in sample results.

He should most defo take them as prescribed. Getting the underlying issue treated may improve SA drastically as well . I'm sure genius Paul will be along shortly to give you accurate info huni...Just wanted to give you some reassurance and PMA too :happy:

Good Luck huni xxx

First ICSI Dec '09 :BFP: :weehee:

wrinkles

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 12:26pm

Hi ladybug. thank you for replying. you have helped make me feel better giving him these every day {he'd forget if i didnt put them in his hand twice a day!} ive got him on alot of the vits recommended on here to, in the hope it might boost what is there, i must do extra research to make sure these are still safe to take with these antibiotics. just another quick question if you dont mind! after he has given his sample, is that the point in which we will be refered for further investigations? I should explaine our situation in brief.....i have 2 children with a previous partner, my DH has none. He had a hydrocele as a baby, and was involved in a stabbing as a teen. which resulted in a large scar from his belly button to the top of his leg. it does miss all 'important bits!' but we are not sure if maybe scar tissue is effecting things. he remembers the docs saying he may have troubles fathering a child, but discharged himself before finding out any more. and has had his head in the sand ever since! We got together 6 years ago, and have been actively ttc for 5 years. I know i could also have issues we need to address, and thats on my list to do! I have 28 day cycles every month, and also have mid cycle bleed, so im hoping i am ovulating ect. it took me 3 months to concieve both my children so fingers crossed ive stayed the same!

sorry that wasnt very brief was it :snigger: but you all now know where we are at, so hopefully you can help with all your great info :D

and thank you ladybug for the PMA, i lose it from time to time!

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 9:08pm

RE: help needed re prescription

I agree with all of the above.

Any urological infection can reduce sperm motility by making the seminal fluid toxic. Impairment to his sperm production is very unlikely with this antibiotic, and would, as Ladybug says, only be very temporary.

It is important also that he has a couple of semen tests to get a full picture of what is happening for him. These may need to be three months apart if the first specimen is not so good. It is unlikely that his stab injury has done anything to damage his fertility, but the resulting surgery may have damaged some of the nerves involved in ejaculation causing some of the sperm to go into his bladder. This is referred to as retrograde ejaculation, so bear this in mind if the sperm concentration is reduced.

And you must also be fully investigated - especially your hormones. It is very common for there to be a dual problem.

Good luck to you bth.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

wrinkles

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 9:20pm

Thank you for replying paul. ive been keeping an eye out for you to post! would it be noticable if he were suffering with retrograde ejaculation? that might seem a really daft question, but we've not noticed there being any less semen {tmi sorry!}

He has a few more days to go with the antibiotics then we plan on booking his sperm test. That will be no easy job either, as the hospital is a 40 min drive from us, so ill guessing we will have to 'book a room' close to the hospital! :snigger:

i will let you know the results and pick your brain further if thats ok! thank you again. this site and its memebers is fab :D

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE