You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Betty36

• "Betty36" started this thread

Reg: Nov 14th 2009

Friday, November 20th 2009, 7:36pm

SA results...need a second opinion..

just had the clinic appointment to review these results
volume 4.6ml
concentration 3.2m/ml
motile count 1.38m/ml
total sperm 14.72
clumping 1%
"no normal forms seen on slide"
"decreased progression" "oligoastherneteratozoospermic"
total motility 43% , progression rating 1-2/4
(DH had undescended testicle op at 20 (we think. he did not grow up in UK and his memory is hazy). we think that's the problem here)

i have pcos, taking metformin.
clinic has said IVF / ICSI our only hope.

is that really true?
would really be grateful of your advice.
ICSI Feb 2010...

MY ICSI DIARY

Sun Flower

Superstar

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:32pm

Hi Betty
welcome to FZ, I am sorry I dont have any answers for you re: your results but I am sure Paul will be along soon to help you, we also have a sperm scientist member who may be able to help

here is the link

Sperm Scientist Questions / Answers

best wishes & good luck x

Betty36

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:39pm

need second opinion. help

just had the clinic appointment to review these results
volume 4.6ml
concentration 3.2m/ml
motile count 1.38m/ml
total sperm 14.72
clumping 1%
"no normal forms seen on slide"
"decreased progression" "oligoastherneteratozoospermic"
total motility 43% , progression rating 1-2/4
(DH had undescended testicle op at 20 (we think. he did not grow up in UK and his memory is hazy). we think that's the problem here)

i have pcos, taking metformin.
clinic has said IVF / ICSI our only hope. . i don't want ivf :(
ICSI Feb 2010...

MY ICSI DIARY

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 9:25pm

RE: SA results...need a second opinion..

Hi Betty,

Whilst there are some motile sperm in a semen specimen, I would never say that IVF/ICSI is the only hope of a pregnancy. I have seen pregnancies happen at amazing low sperm counts and quality, but it obviously helps if the female partner is very fertile to compensate, and the couple need to be lucky, and perhaps very patient.

Undescended testicles suffer due to hyperthermia in the pelvis, and even if just one is maldescended this can affect the other, normal one, by a process known as sympathetic orchiopathy. And 20 years is very late to have his surgery. So clearly he has a low number of sperm of reduced quality. This may be his best ever, his worst ever or his usual. It is important not to rely on just one specimen. Lots of things can reduce both count and quality, including viral infection, testicular hyperthermia, stress when trying to do his specimen, so these also needs to be a gap of at least three months between specimens to rule out temporary problems.

Nevertheless he had over six million motile sperm in that specimen so the chances are not nil. You need to have as high a fertility as possible to make the best of these sperm. Also you need to make love 2-3 times per week throughout your cycle so as not to miss ovulation, and most importantly, because this frequency is best for best sperm volume, numbers and quality.

So keep trying for the time being, as only time will tell how fertile a couple you really are.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Betty36

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 9:37pm

thanks Paul

thanks for some positive thoughts. everything else has seemed so negative so far.
we're off to a clinic which offer alternative & complimentary therapies in a few weeks, and a second SA.
and in the meantime, we keep trying.
and i learn some patience.
thanks
ICSI Feb 2010...

MY ICSI DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE