You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wanting1

• "wanting1" started this thread

Reg: Nov 19th 2009

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 9:07pm

Can someone help me to interpret my results?

OK - I don't know all of the acronyms but we have been trying for a baby for just over a year now, my wife took ages to regulate if that makes any sense after stopping the pill after 10 years. She found that Agnus Castus really helped and she has since stopped as she now has normal cycles.

After still not conceiving I decided to have a test - the doctor said that it was low but after reading the net it really is very difficult to make sense of everything. I am hoping that some kind person could explain my results - I really want a baby and am trying my best to have one - i WAS drinking quite heavily 2-3 glasses of wine a night, then stopped all mid week drinking however i switched to a bottle of wine on a Friday and a bottle of wine on Saturday to myself - not a great idea. Pretty selfish I know but really stressed wanting a baby and working silly hours. Absolutely everyone around me is having babies. So a week before the test I stopped all drinking except for one small glass of wine on a Friday night as a reward for my hard work, I have maintained this for a month now and I am really hoping a further test in 2 months time will be better. Anyhow here are my results:

Volume: 3.26ml
pH: 8.1
Liquefaction: Complete in 2hrs
Sperm Concentration: 11million/ml
Motility + progression: Rapid 69% at 2hrs - progression 4
Abnormal Forms: 86%

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

D

cjay

Reg: Nov 16th 2009

Friday, November 20th 2009, 9:06pm

RE: Can someone help me to interpret my results?

Hi D,
In a similar position to yourself, but with a much lower count. Been trying for 18mths or so and, like yourself, have changed lifestyle habits.
I am no expert, but did read a lot to try to interpret my own results.
I hope my interpretation is accurate, but I thought I would answer because I know how much a response helps.

Any concentration over 20 million per ml is considered normal, so your count is not way out.
If I read your result right, 69% are sperm with progressive motility (Grade 4). This seems like a very good figure, recommended levels are 60% of observed sample or at least 8million per ml. In your sample 69% of 11million is 7.59 million per ml.
These are the ones that count, so the sample seems positive to me.

86% abnormal is also well within range, I think a normal sample is described as 15% normal, so almost bang on.

As many people say on here, your results can vary due to many factors, so I would take a lot of positives from this first analysis.

My consultant said after a reading of 11 million sperm in total, of which around 1.6 million were progressively motile.

There is always the possibility of natural conception even when a patient has orders of magnitude fewer sperm than todays sample - thus never say never. Ie we can treat males with <50 sperm or so. But relative to what is considered normal population the chances are reduced although certainly not negligible.

Also Paul, one of the moderators on this forum said
I have seen pregnancies at this level however.

So what I am trying to say here is that there are many positives in your sample and keep thinking of those.

Good Luck

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: We now have a gorgeous new little baby daughter! can't believe i can say that now!!! :D

Friday, November 20th 2009, 10:15pm

Hi D and Cjay

:D
Was just reading your posts and wanted to wish you both the very best of luck in TTC.
Sounds like you are both making major efforts and lifestyle changes...well done to you both... :happy:
Hope all your hopes and dreams are answered soon xx

First ICSI Dec '09 :BFP: :weehee:

Sun Flower

Superstar

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:37pm

Hi wanting1

welcome to Fertility Zone, I am sure you will find lots of useful info and advice on here, all of the members are very friendly and helpful :smile:

Paul is a Male Factor expert and FZ moderator and I am sure he will be able to help you to interpret your results and offer some advice, until he comes along can I suggest you have a look at the sperm scientist section, here is a link

Sperm Scientist Questions & Answers

good luck

wanting1

• "wanting1" started this thread

Reg: Nov 19th 2009

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 6:16pm

Thanks guys/gals,

I am really hoping that the reduced drinking will miraculously improve my sample next time. The biggest problem for me is that new year's is coming up and we are popping over to see family - i am going to try the 'I am on antibiotics' but i am not sure they will fall for it. Having been married for just over a year my mum is always commenting on about when we have children etc etc - which is very distressing to my wife as we have been doing nothing but trying for one. It is very tempting to just say that we can't have any just to stop the comments - also don't want to explain the facts as every phone conversation will end up being how we are getting on etc.

Fingers crossed.

D

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE