You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Kendy" started this thread

Reg: Sep 4th 2009

Friday, November 13th 2009, 3:03pm

BD every day?

Hi there. I have read two research articles - one from 2007 and one from 2009 that recommend having "relations" every day to increase the quality of the sperm as long as the partner does not have volume issue. The studies say that the volume may be less but the quality seems to be much improved with less DNA issues and particularly less abnormal sperm (one of our main issues). Anyone have any opinion?
Kendy, me 39, DH 41
A zillion rounds of ovarian stimulation with Letrozole/clomid
1st ICSI - Aug/Sept '09- BFN
Shocking natural BFP '09- October - m/c
2nd IVF - Feb/Mar '10- BFP - m/c

Tinkerbell09

Member left

• "Tinkerbell09" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 31st 2009

Children: LWH

Friday, November 13th 2009, 3:20pm

Hiya, I found this, Having sex every day improves sperm quality and could boost the chances of getting pregnant, research suggests.

In a study of men with fertility problems, daily ejaculation for a week cut the amount of DNA damage seen in sperm samples.

Speaking at a fertility conference, the Australian researcher said general advice for couples had been to have sex every two or three days.

Early results from the trial had already shown promising results.

Perhaps we have been blaming the women as couples get older but perhaps there's a contribution from the male because we're not behaving as we should be

Dr David Greening
Sydney IVF
But 118 men have now been tested and the benefits for sperm have become clearer.

Dr David Greening, from Sydney IVF, told delegates at the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology meeting that eight in ten men taking part showed a 12% drop in sperm DNA damage after the seven days.

Although there was a big drop in sperm numbers from 180 million to 70 million over the week, men were still within the normal "fertile" range.

Sperm also became more active over the seven days with a small rise in motility, he added.

Damage

The theory is the longer sperm hang around in the testes the more likely they are to accumulate DNA damage and the warm environment could also make them more sluggish after a while.

Sperm come under attack by free radicals - small reactive molecules which can damage DNA and cause cell death - in the tube that stores and carries sperm away from the testes.

Further work is needed to work out if daily sex for men without fertility problems has the same benefits but Dr Greening believes it is likely to be the case.

He warns that having daily sex for too long - say a fortnight - would probably cut sperm numbers too much.

But recommended "lots of sex daily" around the time the woman is ovulating.

He said it was best to "keep the river flowing".

As men age they may not have as much sex as they did when they were younger, adding to the problem of infertility, Dr Greening told delegates.

"We are designed to breed in our youth.

"Perhaps we have been blaming the women as couples get older but perhaps there's a contribution from the male because we're not behaving as we should be."

The findings may also have implications for couples undergoing IVF as men are commonly told to abstain from sex for a couple of days to try and boost sperm numbers.

Dr Alan Pacey, a fertility expert at the University of Sheffield, said the finding that daily ejaculation improved the chances of conception was interesting, but it would be wrong to apply the results to all men.

"For example, in cases where men have low sperm counts to start with, daily ejaculations may well reduce the sperm count still further and whilst sperm may be more healthy the reduced numbers could impede the chance of natural conception.

"The best general advice is that if couples are attempting to conceive naturally, intercourse every couple of days will make sure the sperm are as healthy as possible on each occasion.

"However, in preparation for IVF or ICSI treatment, this advice may well change in response to medical test results like DNA damage measurements."

When i am ttc i bed every other day do a day miss a day and then when i get a pos opk i bed 2 days on the trot. :smile: x

• "Kendy" started this thread

Reg: Sep 4th 2009

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 4:01pm

Thank you Tinkerbell. It is probably worth a shot! DH thinks it is a great idea : )
Kendy, me 39, DH 41
A zillion rounds of ovarian stimulation with Letrozole/clomid
1st ICSI - Aug/Sept '09- BFN
Shocking natural BFP '09- October - m/c
2nd IVF - Feb/Mar '10- BFP - m/c

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 5:31pm

Hi Kendy

Unfortunately Paul is unable to get online at the moment, but I have searched out one of his posts where this question was asked before and he doesn't believe (nor do most other people actually!) that every day is a good idea, the optimum is every 2-3 days

daily or every other day?

Quoted

Ejaculation every day does not affect the sperm count, and will maintain good sperm quality and activity. However it can decrease the semen volume for many men, and this can be a problem. The vaginal fluid is hostile to sperm yet the sperm need to survive long enough in the vagina to be able to swim into the cervical mucus where they are safe, and nurtured, and stored, and can swim up and into the uterus, over the following 2-3 days.

If the semen volume is too low it does not adequately dilute down and counteract the hostility of the vaginal fluid, so sperm survival will be less. Also you need a good volume of seminal fluid in order to make plenty of contact with the cervix so that the sperm can swim in to the mucus. Too low a semen volume reduces this contact and reduces therefore the numbers of sperm that are able to get into mucus and move on into the uterus. This is particluarly important for men with a naturally low semen volume (less than 1.2 ml) and where the woman's cervix is not in the usual postion (retroverted or tipped back), and contact between semen and the cervix is more problematic.

Where the semen volume is naturally low, by the 3rd or 4th daily ejaculation, the volume becomes too low, and if this is the closest day to ovulation then you are making love with the least satisfactory semen volume, and may lose out as a result. Good sperm will survive in good mucus (and it is important that you are tested to show that his sperm are surviving well in your mucus), for 2-3 days, and your ovulatory mucus should be around for 2-3 days, and the egg survives for around 24 hours. So if you are making love every 2-3 days throughout the fertile period then you will ensure that there are always sperm around in your genital tract the whole time, waiting for the egg to appear. Making love early and late in the cycle is also important as this improves follicle growth and implantation.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 3:05pm

Hi,

I am sneaking some time on a GP practice computer, just to say that I still agree with the above statement.

Making love every day can also be a stress and an imposition (unless it is your usual way of living!), and this stress can interfere with the LH surge impeding ovulation, and stress can increase the likelyhood of impaired sperm production and ejaculation, including retrograde ejaculation.

So it is using a combination of commonsense, and ejoying your joint libidos. More babies are conceived from random lovemaking and enjoyable every few days, than are ever conceived by planned intercourse, whether you want to or not. And making love early and late in the cycle is also good for his libido and testosterone surge; and her hormones for ovulation and inplantation.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE