You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunrising" started this thread

Reg: Nov 3rd 2009

Children: Zita West

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 5:05pm

Support Groups for the Boys & anything to improve sperm count?

Hi all,

New to the forum. Just had results a couple of weeks ago of BFs sperm count etc. It wasn't looking good and he has low fertility. He is devasted and going back and forth between denial and devastation. He's desperate to have kids and comes from a culture where its all about the children.

He cried his heart out in my arms Sunday morning. I'm very worried for him and want to know if there are support groups for men that I can sublety refer him to. Anyone know of any online specifically. Even here it seems to be a lot of ladies posting.

Also would like to know if anyone has had any success improving sperm count/motility/semen viscosity with accupuncture, diet or meds?

Trying to get him to go sexual health screen as recommended as his semen is thick and not liquidifying. I also have low fertility at 41 so together we don't feel like we have much achieving a pregnancy.

Would welcome any experiences-positive or otherwise. So much info out there I feel like I am drowning.

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 9:30pm

Hello, sorry to hear this.
My DH also has a very low sperm count. We found out in Jan this year. We were devastated but there is so much that can be done. We decided to go super healthy-very little alcohol(only the odd glass of red wine), very healthy diet with loads of fresh fruit and veg and no take aways, drink redbush tea everyday(full of anti-oxidants) and he takes lots of vitamins-multi vit for men with zinc and vit c, maca, co-enzyme Q10 and selenium. The other advice for men is to avoid tight underwear and hot baths and also to get the spermies out every 2-3 days so they're not sitting round in there for too long!

Doing all this, in 3 months we went from being told he only had less than one million which the urologist said might only be one or 2, to 2 million per ml. Its still not great by most peoples standards but it is still a huge improvement.

We are now waiting to be referred for IVF.

What is your BF's actual result? Im sorry I dont know of any support groups but Im sure you will come through this together. Fingers crossed for your happy ending.

Good luck.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 9:34pm

RE: Support Groups for the Boys & anything to improve sperm count?

Hi to you both, and welcome to FZ.

I am sure that there will be lots of ladies (mainly) along to tell you about their stories of problems and successes with partners with sperm problems. This is a very common problem as around half the couples who have delay and difficulties in achieving a pregnancy will have a male factor, either as the primary reason or as an additional factor in their situation.

I assume that he has had several semen specimens analysed over a 3-4 month period, on which to base an opinion, as the semen picture can vary immensely from week to week and month to month. Also that you have eliminated temporary impairment of his sperm production and release due to viral infections, chemical toxicity from his job or hobbies; testicular over-heating due to over-weight varicoceles, sport and hot baths; caffeine, alcohol and recreational drugs; and any obvious lifstyle fads. Whilst these rarely change the sperm picture dramatically, they can be contributory factors which could bring his sperm concentration and quality down.

Hyper-viscosity of sperm is different from non-liquefaction, but both are common, often there is no apparent cause, and sometimes linked to infection of the prostrate gland. If the problem is extreme and recurring it can reduce sperm motility. I might be worth his seeing a urologist for examination and culture. It has been suggested that taking a muco-lytic cough mixture such as Benylin may help as this helps in thinning mucus generally, and it might be worth a try, although this is not the same type of mucus as with chest and cervical mucus problems. Other remedies include ejaculating into culture medium, or washing the sperm out of the thick semen with repeated washing and spinning with culture medium. For sperm motility, taking zinc can show benefits, and vitamin C, magnesium and selenium can also often be useful. Regular ejaculation every 2-3 days is particularly important in maintaining sperm quality at its best. Acupuncture may be worth a try also. I use acupuncture in my clinic for fertility enhancement generally, so there may be some benefits.

Despite the high incidence of sperm problems there is little male participation in fertility support groups generally, as men tend not to want to talk publicly about their sub-fertility. I did come across an internet support group earlier in the year. I have lost the reference for this but will look for it. However when I looked at it at the time, it was very quiet with only the two organisers tending to input into the forum.

It would be helpful if you can get the actual figures for his semen results, this will help in talking about the problem. In the meantime please keep in touch with FZ.

Kind regards,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 6:50pm

Thank you

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. It is really useful. No we haven't been for several analyses, just the one and were told to come back in 3 months. We weren't told that the picture could change. My partner did drink buckets of strong coffee a day but now stopped and he did a driving job all day with tight jeans on. We are hoping that making these changes may help. The lady who helps answer Qs also answered one of my posts and mentioned respiratory infections. My partner has chronic rhinitis, so bad his nose sometimes drips all day long and at night he can't breathe. We are now wondering if this can have a bearing on the thickness of his semen. We were told not to take antihistamines as this impairs the sperm production but he really is suffering. Im wondering then if its ok for him to try a decongestant?

Results were:

Vol ml 5.6
Appearance streaky
Liquefaction incomplete (at 60 mins)
Very viscous
ph 8
Debris not significant
agglutination none seen

motility:
rapid progression 16
slow progression 41
non progressive 15
immotile 28

vitality live . 50 % (ref.50%)

antisperm antibodies MAR test for IgA 28 (27 tail, 1 head) MAR for IgG <10
Concentration (x 10 ^6) count ml 9.6 (ref >19x10^6/ml) Total count in ej 54
MORPHOLOGY: normal 11 kruger strict criteria
abnormal: 89, head defects 89, midpiece defects 13, tail defects 4, cytoplasmic droplets 1, teratozoospermia index: 1.20

Thank you

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 6:53pm

Good Luck

Good luck with your journey too. Im going to the fertily show on Saturday and they have a talk on IVF abroad so I am going to hear what they ahve to say. I am worried though about regualtions abroad compared to here. I also am worried about funding treatment. Id say keep pushing for your treatment here. I wish I had started earlier. Even if I were agreed fudning now, I don't have time to wait to get the top of the list.

All the best of luck to you.
X

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE