You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 12 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vicpot

• "vicpot" started this thread

Reg: Oct 23rd 2009

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 12:46pm

DHEA - Any Advice?

Hi

I may need to have IVF in the next few months and my consultant has told me about a supplement called DHEA which he believes may have a beneficial effect on the IVF cycle. The problem is, its not licensed in the UK and so you can only get it in the US or via the internet. The clinic wont advise on how to get it due to the fact that it isnt licensed and I can see that you can get it on the internet - but am a bit nervous about ordering supplements from the internet that I know very little about in terms of the supplier or the product. Therefore I wondered if anyone had had any experience of using DHEA or knew a reputable supplier / product?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Vicky

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 1:10pm

Hi Vicky,

A big welcome to :FZ: :D

Sorry I have no personal experience on DHEA but there's a good thread on it here: DHEA which will give you more info - looks like there are a few ladies on the site that have taken it, so I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon.

As it's your first time on the site I'll pop a few useful links up to help you navigate your way around:

You may like to introduce yourself in the newbie section here: CALLING ALL NEWBIES

There is a an IVF/ICSI section here: IVF/ICSI

Also some more general links:

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a sparkly name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you lots of luck on your ttc journey :xxx3:

Moonshine

vicpot

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 1:14pm

Thanks loads Moonshine this is really helpful!

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 8:23pm

RE: DHEA - Any Advice?

Hi Vicky,

The role of DHEA in enhancing fertility is still conjectural as far as I can discover. I am not sure therefore why your consultant is recommending that you take this. Especially so as it is not licenced for use in this country, as you say.

Licenced drugs are often used off-licence for other conditions that they have not been tested for, and can therefore often be prescibed via a private prescription, with you bearing any risks involved. But I don't see that any registered physician in this country could do this with DHEA, as it is not even usable as a food supplement.

There have been some trials of DHEA in this country (well at least in Wales) last year, but I do not know the outcome of these nor how the DHEA was provided. You could try to track down something about this, I do not have the details. I feel also that you need to talk again to the Unit about whether they consider it safe for you to be using a non-licenced drug during their treatment of you, and whether they have any knowledge of a safe source to use. I do not have any suggestions as to where you should go to obtain this nor what the risks are of buying this over the internet.

That is about as much as I can say about your conundrum.

Kind regards,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

vicpot

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 2:51pm

Thanks Paul, this certainly gives me some more food for thought and its good to get a rounded view! Best wishes.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 12 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE