You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Blondshania" started this thread

Reg: Jun 6th 2009

Children: One day soon if I am blessed with this gift

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 3:25pm

Varicocele and starting IVF

Hubs just recently thinks he might have a varicocele...going to the gp in a few days..---its aching

..the prob is we are due to start IVF in a couple of weeks time.....i am due to start provera next week actually...If everything goes as planned, hubs wont have to provide a sample until early December (2 months time)

I just wondered if we should wait until he goes to the doc and has the varicocele sorted - through meds/surgery - before we attempt ICSI/IVF....and start it in the new year (when the clinic is next available)-

I just had ovarian drilling and the doc said the sooner i have IVF after this, the more effective...anyone with advice/similar experiences...

Also does it cause any harm to the varicocele/sperm production with oral sex?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blondshania" (Oct 13th 2009, 3:26pm)

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Friday, October 16th 2009, 10:53pm

RE: Varicocele and starting IVF

Hi,

The impact of a varicocele on the sperm output is very variable, from moderate to none at all. The overheating of the testicles, and the accumulation of toxins due to the pooling of the blood in the varicosed veins, have both been given as reasons for reducing sperm production and quality.

It is difficult to predict what benefits there may be (if any) from having his varicocele dealt with, and it may take 3-4 months after surgery before you know this. So added on to any waiting time to surgery, it could be that you will put off your IVF for six or more months only to see no improvement in his sperm picture.

Where there are bilateral, large varicoceles, then the sperm picture can improve, plus the man feels less uncomfortable 'down there'. But if the varicoceles were only part of the reason for the sperm problem (which is usually the case), then clearly any benefits may only be partial and occlusion of the blood vessels will not result in a normal sperm picture, and you may still need IVF.

My thoughts are therefore that deferring you IVF might not be indicated, unless you have other reasons for wanting to do this.

Finally I can see no reason why oral sex should negatively influence this situation. If anything it is just possible that massage and stimulation around that area might improve blood flow along these distorted blood vessels.

Good luck, with all of this.

Paul
X
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE