You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "champagne" started this thread

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 11:03am

exceptionality funding

Anyone ever had to appeal for funding under exceptionality circumstances or individual case reviews? Im struggling and need to hear anyone's stories :bawl: ? x
[/url]

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 11:30am

Hi Champagne

I did and eventually won but it took a lot of hard work and stress! I will have a little look to see if I can find my original letter but it was a long time ago!

Here are a few pointers though:

Try and keep your letters factual and steer away from the emotional side. The people who make the decisions aren't interested in how upset it makes you , harsh but true. they need to make objective decisions that are based on facts and so provided them with as many facts as you can. you could, however put a small paragraph at the bottom explaining the emotional effects, just don't let it be the focus of the letter.

Get Support to accompany my letter I got my local MP, GP, DH's Consultant and our fertility Consultant to write letters of support.

Reasearch
Our exceptional case was that DH had testicular cancer and so I researched the facts and figures on Testicular cancer and included graphs and charts that highlighted that it was exceptional. I also broke the stats down to highlight how many men in our area of his age were affected etc.

Don't give up we got turned down for funding, took it to appeal, got turned down and so I went for it again and eventually they agreed. I also put the pressure on after the initial appeal by requesting all info on our case under the freedom of information act (which made an interesting read as 2 out of 5 were on our side!) I also made a complaint about the organisation of the department as it took near on 10 months just to get the original 'no' and no one ever returned my calls!!!

Anyway hope that helps a bit, I will try and dig out my letter but like I said I'm not hopeful.

good luck!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 12:33pm

Hello Indie

Like you,I wont give up easily. I have requested the minutes of the meetings and it's quite shocking how incosistent they were with our case. I will do more research like you said and I have once again today phoned the house of commons and requested an appointment with our MP. So much to do so little time!
Thanks for the advise though. Let me know if you think of anything else
Kind regards x x xxxx
[/url]

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 3:19pm

Hey there

Good on you, keep on at them! It's terrible how your just another black and white case to them, when this is the centre of your entire life! keep me updated!

x

chalmers206

Superstar

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 11:49pm

hi champagne,

I tried to get funding too as my dh has kids and had a vasectomy.

I wrote to our local mp and the scottish government, but in the end still got nowhere.

We ended up egg sharing with icsi, otherwise we would not have been able to have treatment. Would you consider this?.

I know its not for everyone its just an idea.

Good luck anyway and go for it, as they say 'you dont get if you dont ask'. xx
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13

Monday, October 19th 2009, 6:23pm

Chalmers: Once again concrats with ur pregnancy! I am still waiting and will see the outcome of funding at the end of the month. Not sure about egg sharing as havent read much of it! It's been hard to convince DH about IVF so I can imagine what he will say! But thanks for reminding me of other options. Im really glad it work for you x
[/url]

Tuesday, December 15th 2009, 8:29pm

Indiechick! Thanks for your advise! Got the funding today! high5 Hope you are ok xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[/url]

Sun Flower

Superstar

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 2:05pm

Hi Champagne

I am just reading through previous posts re: funding and I noticed you have EC soon, does that mean your appeal was suucessful? if so, would love to hear about it as I am `fighting` with the NHS and local PCT at the moment, great news if it was, well done you!

good luck with EC

x

Indiechick

Superstar

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 3:24pm

OMG Champagne, just seen this - Great news! x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE