You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 14 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DaveG

• "DaveG" started this thread

Reg: Oct 1st 2009

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 9:12pm

Azoospermia - where from here?

Hi all

Im a recently new member, was diagnosed with azoospermia, i had several tests done which indicated zero sperm count and raised FSH levels and as a result of these i had a testicular biopsy some 2.5 yrs ago which revealed that no sperm were present at all.

I have not sought any additional information since this point, so i am unsure if this leaves me completely unable to father a child, i am guessing so, but have been unable to bring myself to seek out the information thus far.

The issue has affected me greatly, my wife changed from the day i had the biopsy and we split up 10 months later.

The whole thing has left me depressed, incredibly insecure and very unsure how to deal with it all.

In the time since the biospy i have had to deal with a divorce which almost lost me my home, i came through it however and can hold onto that as a positive, i do feel incredibly alone though and perhaps only just able to start to come to terms with not being able to father a child - which is something i have wanted since i can remember.

I have recently started seeing someone who is great to me, she is incredibly understanding, i told her about not being able to have children very early on and whilst she was very supportive and said we could deal with it if and when the time came (she is younger than i), i feel very insecure and that my problem is pretty much like a ticking bomb. Not ideal thoughts when trying to be part of a great relationship!

I have recently requested some help from a counsellor via my doctor, which i think i need, but would appreciate thoughts from perhaps others in a similar situation?

I would like to read up on the subject a bit, but to be honest im finding the issue still very raw, indeed reading some threads on this forum has been quite upsetting, comforting to know im not alone, but still upsetting for those involved.

Life can be so cruel at times cant it?

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 9:29pm

Hi Dave

So sorry to hear what a rough time you have been having, life is incredibly cruel at times but like I said in your newbie post, you have come to the right place and I can assure you, you will get all the support you need on here!

I'm sure that Paul or a few of the other male factor ladies will be able to give you some more info on other tests or steps that may be relevant to you. Although my partner was azoospermic we knew early on that there was no other option than donor sperm. After a lot of soul searching on both our parts we decided it was the route we wanted to take and we have recently become parents to twin boys. DH has struggled with his diagnosis and had a brief spell of counselling but in it the end it came down to a lot of honesty and talking but we got there in the end. Although he is not genetically the father of the boys he is 100% their Dad and he has been there every step of the way.

I know that this might be a scary thought to you at the moment but I just wanted to reassure you that there are other ways in which to reach your goal!

Hang on in there!

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

• "babymaybeme?" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Baby on the way.

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 9:50pm

Hello,

I am sorry to hear of your situation. My DH is azoospermic too, we found out last November. He has just had his biopsy and we are waiting for the results. Like you, my DH has an elevated FSH. I am very aware that they may not find any sperm. But as I have explained to my DH, there are many ways to have a family and be a dad.

Your new partner sounds great. You did the right thing by telling her early on, she's had time to think things through.

I think the counselling is a great idea. It will help you to come to terms with your grief.

There's a few of us on Male Chatter feel free to pop on, ask questions etc.

I wish you all the best x

babydust

13 July 2011 :BFP:
bab21

DaveG

• "DaveG" started this thread

Reg: Oct 1st 2009

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 9:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by babymaybeme?
He has just had his biopsy and we are waiting for the results. x

I got my results straight after the operation, as it had to be done privately?

Is the situation not the same in all of the uk perhaps?

I went to the fertility clinic at the Leicester Royal Infirmary for the procedure even though it was a private op ?(

• "babymaybeme?" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Baby on the way.

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 10:01pm

Hi ya,

They told us we had to wait 4 weeks! So annoying. I'm assuming it was to do with getting the next available appointment ?( - it was done on the NHS :sadface:

babydust

13 July 2011 :BFP:
bab21

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 14 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE