You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "lucy20" started this thread

Reg: Nov 28th 2007

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 9:11pm

bodybuilding steriods

hi everyone
my partner is a bodybuilder and uses anabolic steriods much to my constant asking him not to. We have been ttc for 3+years. He has just recived his results back from his first sa as we always thought the problems lie with me his resuls were devastating as no sperm was found. I have been pregnant to him about four years ago, as we are so new to the male factor infertility i just wondered could the steriods have cause temorary Azoospermia or is this a permanant thing once it is detected he was taking the steroids at the time of the sa
We only saw his gp for the results and she was not much wiser than us. any respond is much appricated
thank you for reading
lucy xx

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, October 3rd 2009, 1:19am

Hi Lucy,

There seems to be plenty of evidence that the long term use of anabolic steroids produces azoospermia in some men. Recovery of sperm production can take six months or more, and may require the administration of hormonal stimulants such as tamoxifen to turn on sperm production. Although normal sperm numbers can often be achieved, there is some slight evidence that sperm quality remains permanently affected.

Before concluding that his sperm output has suffered in this way because of his steroid use, he needs to have another semen analysis. Azoospermia can very easily be caused by the stress of producing his sample; and by other processes as well.

Good luck with this.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "lucy20" started this thread

Reg: Nov 28th 2007

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 2:00pm

thank you so much for your reply i really appriciate it

xxxxxxxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE