You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SaffronXXX" started this thread

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: 8 year DD conceilved naturally & 1 DS thru IVF

Friday, September 25th 2009, 10:16pm

Unexplained infertility - IVF or IUI???

Hi, I am wondering what people are normally recommended to do for treatment when the cause of infertility is unexplained?

I have had fertility appointment over a year ago after 18 months of ttc without success and the concultant recommneded IVF then. He never mentioned IUI. It's been a year now and we are finally decided to go for TX. We are having app in 2 weeks time.

What were you all told to go for? IUI or IVF? My DH is not keen on going for IVF just yet but I am as I read that the success rate for iui is only about 15 % and IVF's is much higher. Would most couples go for IUI first as a treatment for unexplained infertility though?

My history is 1 stillbirth, 1 healthy DD and then miscarriage.

SaffyXXX
After pretty rocky ttc & pregnancy history, blessed with two lovely children. Don't stop believing....

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 6:56am

Hi Saffy,

Most NHS clinics will recommend IUI first if infertility is unexplained purely because I think that you get 3 attempts free on the NHS and you may not get IVF free depending on the criteria of your PCT. It does have a low success rate but personally I believe that this may be because it is often offered to people who it might not have any benefit to (similarly they gave me clomid when I was ovulating fine and didn't tell me my DH's SA was slightly abnormal so how was it going to help?).

We could have gone the IUI route but after 6 months of clomid and 2 years ttc I had reached the end of my teather and wanted to know that sperm and egg were actually getting where they were supposed to go so we opted for private IVF. For me the frustrating thing with unexplained (as my DH SA wasn't enough in itself to explain our lack of success) was that you just don't know if the eggs and sperm are getting together and there's something else wrong or if something is stopping them connecting, IUI doesn't answer that question but IVF does so that's why we opted for this option.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 7:11pm

Hi Grace,

Thank you very much for the reply. You totally echoed how I feel at the moment. After 2 1/2 years of trying I am coming to the end of teather too. We are self-funding anyway so we won't get 3 iui for free so like you I feel more inclined to ask for IVF. I just hope the clinc agrees with me and I can manage to persuade DH.

SaffyXXX
After pretty rocky ttc & pregnancy history, blessed with two lovely children. Don't stop believing....

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 8:47pm

Possibly if DH knew more about the process he might be more amenable as from the outside it can seem very scary and it really isn't. It may not be the most pleasant experience in the world but it's not as bad as it seems from the outside. Point out to him that the cost of say 4 goes at IUI is about the same as 1 IVF but the IVF will answer a lot more questions as you get the opportunity to see how your ovaries respond and what your egg/embryo quality is you may also get some to freeze for FET if you need it which is cheaper than IVF but has a similar success rate.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Monday, September 28th 2009, 11:02am

Hi Grace,

Yes, I totally agree. The cost of IUI including the drug is nearly £1000 in a private clinc and FET is about the same too. My husband is an offshore engineer so at times getting the timing right is a problem so having the option of FET would work in favour for us. I have just sent him a long email explaing the benefits of going for IVF reiterating what you said. DH is home this weekend and our clinic appintment is next week so hopefully we can agree on what we both want before then! Terrified and anxious but also eager to start any treatment soon.

BTW Congratulations on your BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so lovely to know someone who was in a similar situation as me had a success :smile:

Thanks again.

SaffyX

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Children: A special baby boy and a beautiful baby girl

Monday, September 28th 2009, 2:47pm

Hi Saffy,

We've just come back from a follow-up appointment with our consultant after a failed IVF cycle. We too have unexplained infertility and are self-funded and were given the choice of IUI or IVF. We opted for IVF in the end as it had a higher success rate and would be a good diagnostic. We found out that even though I was a low responder to the drugs, we did have 3 eggs collected, of which 2 fertilised and 2 embryo's were put back. Unfortunately neither implanted but we are now considering IUI as our next option. It is a hard decision to make but we feel more comfortable going for IUI now we know fertilisation can (and did) occur.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nikki x

Over 5 years TTC, unexplained infertility
IVF Aug 09, IUI Nov 09, IUI Jan 10, IUI Mar 10 :BFN:
IVF Jul 10 :BFP:
Shock natural :BFP: on 16 Oct 12

Thursday, October 1st 2009, 12:01am

Hi Nikki

Thanks for sharing your story with me. Yes my mind is pretty much made up on IVF route. It'll be great to get the start date soon. It'll give me something to forcus on :-)

Today I had lunch with a good friend of mine who went through 3 yrs of ttc unexplained. She had a success with her second iui. She said very sensibly 'I'm certain you have a very good chance with IVF but don't get too upset even if IVF doesn't work the 1st time. If the clinic says 40% success rate then the other 60% isn't.' She said it in a most kind and factual way and I really apprciated that. She is so right.

Even if it's not successful this time, at least I may be able to find out more about egg quality, compatibility and possible fertilisation issues. All's not lost! I really feel positive about going for IVF.

Good luck with your IUI, Nikki!

SaffyXXX

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SaffronXXX" (Oct 1st 2009, 12:02am)

Reg: Sep 13th 2009

Children: Aberdeen

Sunday, October 4th 2009, 4:56pm

I think you need to find out what your fertility Clinic offer.

The Clinic here only offer IUI 3 x NHS but means after it you wont get any NHS IVF funded, or likewise 3 x IVF NHS funded and then u wouldn't get IUI.

We skipped IUI due to the lower success rates, as there is no problem with my husbands sperm finding the right location (As confirmed in a routine test). Fertilisation is just not happening! perhaps because my body is killing off his sperm.

For us it was IVF all the way, i noticed you had a baby and miscarraige, that shows their is no problem with your husbands sperm reaching the "target" so to speak, so you should try IVF as oppose to IUI.
TTC Since September 2005, Me & DH both 26; Diagnosis - Unexplained Infertility.
1st round of IVF (fresh) Nov 09 - :BFN:
2nd round of IVF (frozen) April 10 - :BFN:
3rd round of IVF (Frozen) August 10 - :BFN:
4th round of IVF (Fresh) September 11 - xfingers

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE