You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rollerskate" started this thread

Reg: Sep 12th 2009

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 10:13pm

low(ish) morphology

we are lucky that my husband's sperm analysis came back with everything normal or better except the morphology, which could have been worse as it was 7%.

GP said loose boxers, no hot baths, stop smoking.

Can he do anything else? I have him on wellman tablets and agnus castus daily.

also he does smoke so he asked the GP if nicotene patches were as bad as smoking and GP didn't know. does anyone else? I think he'd find it easier with patches but he'll obviously have to go cold turkey if they're bad.

one more thing - how long til there could be an improvement? (ie how quickly??)

thanks for any advice or help,

kate (kate, kate, roller skate)

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 10:47pm

RE: low(ish) morphology

Hi Rollerskate,

As you say 7% normal forms is not too bad. We humans are not a very fertile species compared with, say, cattle. One good semen sample from a breeding bull contains around 100 million sperm of around 90% motility and morphology. This will give enough doses of semen for 100 inseminations and the expected pregnancy rate from this would be around 95%, ie 95 pregnancies from one semen specimen!

Frequent ejaculation (and therefore intercourse) every 2-3 days throughout your cycle, will maximise the sperm quality, and the chances of conception. Storing up sperm by abstaining will increase the specimen volume but decreases quality, and trying to time intercourse risks missing ovulation. Ejeculating too frequently, more than three days of daily ejaculation, will decrease semen volume below ideal.

It is the tar products that are most injurious of sperm production, but the niocotine is also so, although to a much lesser degreee. So patches are better but not totally ideal. But stress also diminishes sperm production and semen release, so this has to be taken into consideration in trying to get him to abstain totally. Taking zinc can improve motility for some men, so talk to your pharmacist about a good zinc preparation.

Any benefits may take up to 3-4 months to show themselves, as sperm take this long to mature, from first starting to develop through to their ejaculation. I am inclined not to worry too much about a 7% figure and ensure regular lovemaking and that you are optimally fertile.

Good luck.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

hollybolly

Superstar

Reg: Jan 30th 2008

Children: Soon !!

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 11:01am

Hi Rollerskate,
Welcome to :FZ:

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a sparkly name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey, I hope you get your BFP soon!!

blowkiss

AZOOSPERMIA confirmed 01/2008
TESE sucessfull 08/09
Reconstruction failed 11/09 .
Icsi June 13 - Bfn
Feb2014 = Natural cycle icsi bfn

Reg: Jul 20th 2009

Children: Still waiting to be blessed with 1 ... or 2?

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 7:51pm

WELCOME honey!!

x x x x

baby8Can't Wait For The Journey To Begin - Bring On The Bumpage!!x baby8