You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bettyblue" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2009

Monday, August 31st 2009, 12:46pm

Birth Control Pill before IVF - Please Help!

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is a really stupid question!!

Have never taken contraceptive pill but have been advised by my consultant in Norway to start taking the pill.

My LMP started on 20/08 and finished 25/08 - my question is do I take the pill now or wait for next period? My periods bit irregular but expecting my next period around 20th September.

I want to start IVF treatment asap so think I should start now?? Any other ladies who have had to take BC pill before starting IVF meds and if so for how long do you take the pill and how soon after can you start treatment.

I'm going to my GP tomorrow to get my supply.

Thanks for your help x

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, August 31st 2009, 12:52pm

Hi Bettyblue!
Arrghh! That's so annoying when you just want to get started.
I've taken the pill before, but normally I've started on day 1 of AF, maybe the latest is day 3. I'm afraid I think it would be a little too late to start now... But definitely ring your clinic first thing tomorrow to check.
Again it varies, but you can normally start down regulating on day 17 of taking the pill.
Lots of luck to you,
M
x
babydust

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Monday, August 31st 2009, 12:54pm

Hi Bettyblue, there are no stupid questions! I have taken the pill before treatment twice. The first time I started it on about day 4 of my period and took it for about 4 weeks. The second time I started on day 1 and took it for about 6 weeks, but this was because my Dr was on holiday so it was a bit longer for the timing. I would ask your GP, and say what the reason is, because it could be that the reason you normally start the pill at the start of a cycle is that otherwise it wouldn't be effective at contraception, which is obviously not an issue here! Hope that's of some help.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Reg: May 7th 2009

Children: Hopefully soon - but count one Tortoiseshell cat!

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 2:59pm

Hi bettyblue, I'm afraid I cant answer your question but we are probably going to start IVF next month after one failed attempt at IUI and the nurse mentinoed to me that I would need to take the pill for a bit before, and Im not looking fowrard to it after the last time with the mood swings and false bleeding etc. Good luck though and hope it brings you a BFP! :hugs:
Nicky :xxx3:

1st IUI 21 August :BFN:
1st ICSI :BFN:
2nd IVF March 2010 :BFN:
3rd IVF June 2010 Failed Blastocyst :BFN:
4th IVF Alturistic Donor Eggs, :BFP:

Miscarriage 6 February 2011 at 10 weeks
Baby Billy my angel :tears:

Reg: Sep 14th 2009

Children: Fingers crossed one day...

Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 7:27pm

Hi all,
I am very new to this site. I had my consultation today, and my consultant has suggested the pill for approx 3 months.
I have PCOS, and I have not had a period for nearly 6 months, yet before that they had been regular for about 6 months! So I guess it kind of makes sense for me especially..
I have been ttc for 6years, having 3 miscarriages and 1 ectopic pregnancy, my treatment, fingers crossed, is due to start in december!

All the best.
Twink80

TTC for 7yrs. 3 misc & 1 ectopic pregnancy.
Diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries 2004. DP [zx151] fine.
1st IVF Dec 2009 - FAE * FET March 2010 - BFN :tear:
2nd IVF Sept 2010 - FAE * FET Jan 2011 - :BFP:

Reg: Dec 15th 2008

Children: 1 angel

Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 7:59pm

Hi,

am on in a similar situation .. have to take the pill before icsi to help regulate my period and help prepare for treatment. I was told yesterday that I would take the pill on day 2 for 12 to 15 days and then have a bleed 2-3 days later and start menopur - this is a new protocol the consultant has put me on.

Nicola

Reg: Oct 20th 2009

Children: Hopeful!!!

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 8:32am

Anyone else been advised to take the pill before cycle?

Hi everyone

Well i was a regular on here on my last cycle in Nov but haven't really been on since as i have been trying not to be as obsessed this cycle (who am i trying to kid?)

Last cycle i did the long protocol, down regulated on day 21 and the whole thing lasted about 7 weeks, this time my consultant wants me to take the pill a week after af, then take for 21 days, then wait for next bleed and then start injections on day one of that bleed???. Although i want to put my faith in him, seems to defeat the object of ivf going on the pill?. I have endo and he said it will help speicfy things as i tend to have about a week of spotting, only a couple days of true bleeding then spotting again.

Anyone else had this?

xx

Sun Flower

Superstar

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 10:02am

Hi MonkeyMagic
Good luck with your next IVF cycle xfingers

I was put on the pill before both of my cycles, it is an easier way of DR'ing the body instead of injections and the full on menopausal symptoms which you get with DR jabs. The pill turns your ovaries off and allows the clinic complete control of your body and cycle, so that they can shut down your own hormones and build you back up with hormones which are going to grow loads of follies / eggs and make your IVF a success - hope that makes sense

Good Luck xx

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 8:23pm

Hi all, I was put on the pill too to regulate my period so that the clinic could time exactly when I'd be having ER. My cycle was the short protocol, so I didn't 'down reg' (I think) as such, just took the pill and once my period started after stopping the pill started the stims. Good luck with your treatments! baby2
Cathy xxx
Cathy

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE