You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Blondshania" started this thread

Reg: Jun 6th 2009

Children: One day soon if I am blessed with this gift

Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 6:29pm

Decision to have tubes removed

Hi all, I am going in for a lap next weekend and the doc said that i need to decide if i want him to remove tube(s) if they are damaged before IVF....i am struggling with this decision as it seems so permanent...just wondered if anyone had any advice or knows where i can read more on the net/this site to help me make the decision...i have read that it can lessen the effects of ivf...

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 11:21pm

Is he expecting them to be damaged for any reason? Or is it just totall hypothetical in case they are?
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Wednesday, August 26th 2009, 12:46am

hi Lisa :hello:

The good thing is that you are being consulted beforehand and you are aware of what might have to take place. (I woke up from surgery to be told my tubes had been removed!)

There is a thought that damaged tubes can reduce the effectiveness of IVF if they are prone to blockage, as the fluid that builds up in them can be toxic to embryos. So it doesn't lessen the effectiveness of ivf, if anything it is believed removing damaged and blocked tubes can improve your chances.

But you're right it is very permanent and only you can make the decision, but you'll have to be guided by your consultants who will try and give you the best medical advice. What they can't prepare you for is the emotional recovery afterwards, and that takes time.

Best of luck hun.

xxx

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

anemone

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Sunday, August 30th 2009, 8:52am

Yeah my cons mentioned this (kind of in passing) as well. Im due a lap in Oct for possible endo. I think he meant that if the tubes were so damaged and especially if filled with fluid (medically called a hydrosalpinx - the fluid can be toxic to an embie implanting) then IVF would have more chance if they were removed. Im not sure what the damage might come from - endo or infection? In my case he said it was very unlikely theyd need to.

But I would be wanting to clarify that. For me if there was any doubt (ie, they werent that badly damaged) Id rather have them left in and maybe remove them later if needs be. As you say, removing the tubes is pretty permanent and would mean youd have to have IVF to get pg after that. So it all depends on your attitudes to that. It seems that there can be other ways to repair the tubes if thats needed, but Id imagine that involves complex surgery, and i dont know how successful that is.

I did a little searching and found that there are (as usual) different opinions on when it is useful to remove the tubes (salpingectomy). These articles are a bit technical but might help...

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/15/12/2464

http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?…andell-hamberge

It seems to me this is most likely to come up if the tube damage is really severe - in which case it might well show on an ultrasound anyway.

chatterbox - i think that's terrible that you weren't consulted. That would have been a shock. Was it mentioned in the consent forms, cos if it wasn't surely you have the right to take further action (if you wanted to)?

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**
Me 37, DH 45
TTC#1 since Jan 09. Low AMH. Chem preg/early m/c Sept 09. Endo removed Oct 09, tubes clear. TTC naturally until end of year then maybe IVF.

• "Blondshania" started this thread

Reg: Jun 6th 2009

Children: One day soon if I am blessed with this gift

Sunday, August 30th 2009, 9:22pm

thank you for the articles..i am looking up some more also..need to make a decision in less than a weeks time..

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE