You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lasta

• "lasta" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2009

Monday, August 24th 2009, 8:51pm

Ovulation testing with pcos - any test i can use

Hi

I'm on 1st month of clomid day 21 now and I was wondering if it doesn't work this month is there any of the ovulation kits that I can use that will be any good for me as I have pcos.

Thanks
Angie

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 24th 2009, 9:04pm

Hi Angie

OPKs work by detecting LH surges in the body. Some women with PCOS have elevated LH hormone levels, thereby making it very difficult to use these kits. If when using them you get constantly positive results, your LH may be at a consistently high level. This would make OPKs an unreliable way to test for ovulation.

If you do go ahead and try to use an ovulation kit with PCOS, you need to pay attention to the length of your cycles. Ovulation usually occurs about 14 days before the next period. So, for example, if you have a 30 day cycle, ovulation will be around the 16th day. You should begin testing a few days before this so that you are sure to catch your ovulation.

I've also copied below some really useful info from Paul on using OPKs.

Quoted

Originally posted by Paul Entwistle

The problem with ovulation kits, or even formal, laboratory assays, is that they only detect the "LH Surge" , the hormone rise that is meant to trigger ovulation. However this rise in LH does not always lead to ovulation, for various reasons. These kits are therefore tests for LH hormone, not for ovulation. You need other tests to show that ovulation DID occur in that cycle.

These kit only reflect the "normal" level of LH rise which should be enough to trigger ovulation in a "young" woman with normally responsive ovaries. If the woman is older, or her ovaries are less responsive i.e. in PCOS, then this "normal" level of hormone may not be sufficient to trigger rupture of the ovarian follice and cause ovulation.

Also the kit detects the start of the surge which it is assumed will continues to rise to provoke ovulation. If this rise is not continued or the peak level is not enough to provoke follicular rupture, then no egg is released, and there will have been no ovulation.

One of the classical reasons for a failure to ovulate after the observed start of the LH surge is stress!!! Having to make love in response to a kit result saying "go for it" can be so stressful, - will my parents go home in time?; will he come home from the pub early enough and sober enough?; will the children settle to asleep and give us some time to do it ?; am I in the mood for love tonight, anyway?

Such stresses can impede the rise in the LH ( and the quality of "his" semen specimen) and ensure that ovulation does not occur, despite the tantalising blue line in the kit.

You need to establish, by independent and scientific means, that you ARE ovulating; and that this is GOOD ovulation (ie a good luteal phase with a high progesterone and a normal prolactin) ; and also work out "ABOUT" when you are ovulating; - and then make love 2-4 times in the week around ovulation. Never mind trying to find the magic day. THERE IS NO MAGIC DAY. - Sperm will last 2-4 days, the cervix is open 2-3 days, and the egg is viable for about 2 days. so GO FOR IT OVER A FEW DAYS.

Sorry to be so pedantic - but making love, randomly and wildly, when you're in the mood, gets far more pregnancies than having intercourse when the kit says so.

Hope that all helps.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: i have 1 son from when i was younger with an ex

Monday, August 24th 2009, 9:12pm

hello lasta

i also have pcos, i have used all sorts and not had probs with any of them some times i do get a pos and some times a neg , if you are still reg then you should know roughly when u ov but clomid for a lot of people ( but not all ) ov upto 3 days later then most on ave, i am now on my 12th try of clomid and i always ov about day 15-17 ( if im going to ) so do my blood test about day 23-25 not day 21 like im told ( this is just me though lol ), are you going for bloods too ?

you should of ov before now so a ov test prob wont be much good hun
to be safe clearblue is the best one, but you can get cheap ones from ebay ive used loads from there and buy in bulk, ie 15 ov stick and 5 preg sticks for about £5, but there are lots to pick from, now and then u can get cheap clearblue ones also. they norm give you an idea that you are about to ov or are so you can time when to do the deed lol. day 21 is a bit late by most cycles .

hope this helps a bit, see what other people say !!

good luck hun. xx

14th try on clomid and got a BFP

:snigger:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lealovespaul09" (Aug 24th 2009, 9:17pm)

lasta

• "lasta" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2009

Monday, August 24th 2009, 9:39pm

Hi

I have been told to get blood done on 2nd cycle of clomid on day 21 but thats all. They have been me 6th months of clomid but due back to see dr on 4th month.

I think i am gonna try couple of months then if no luck i might try the tests. Thanks for info.

How long do you leave it before you test to see if u get bfp. My periods change from 28 to 35 days. So i will see if i can wait till 35 days but not sure if i'll be able to.

Thanks again
xx

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: i have 1 son from when i was younger with an ex

Monday, August 24th 2009, 9:53pm

re:How long do you leave it before you test to see if u get bfp. My periods change from 28 to 35 days. So i will see if i can wait till 35 days but not sure if i'll be able to.

its up to you hun, im bad if i get good bloods ( i find out 3 days after i do them ) then i do a test coz i cant wait lol, then if no luck i wait for 5 days and do another one, if not luck still then i have a cry get moody snappy and test again in hope that an extra few days to a week will help by then ive norm came on and starting again or go to the doc and say im not bloody preg but i didnt come on lol, then i get tabs to make me come on so i can do clomid again or he sends letter to hospital and i get a scan, everyone and every hospital is diff though, do what makes you happy hun

14th try on clomid and got a BFP

:snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE