You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "lealovespaul09" started this thread

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: i have 1 son from when i was younger with an ex

Friday, August 21st 2009, 11:06pm

sperm results any ideas on what they mean ??

percentage abnormal sperm count high = 90% numeric vaule supplied
progressive non motile sperm = 64% '' ''
percent non progressive sperm =0% '' ''
percent slow progressive sperm =0% '' ''
percentage rapid progressive sperm = 36% '' ''
semen sample vol 6.0ml
semen appearance= grey-opalescent

these was on nov 08, he has had more done but we didnt get print out in 3 mths if not pregy they will check again as he has vali in left testie !

14th try on clomid and got a BFP

:snigger:

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 12:08am

RE: sperm results any ideas on what they mean ??

Hi,

This is a very strange set of figures for a semen analysis. Firstly there is no figure for the sperm concentration(sperm numbers). If the sperm count happened to be something quite high, say > 60 million per ml, then this specimen is close to being a normal, and fertile semen specimen. But if the sperm concentration was say only 6 million per ml, then it is a problem specimen. There is no way of guessing this from the figures quoted.

Secondly, 36% of the sperm are described as being rapidly motile (ie good fertile-type motility), and the rest are all non-motile. There are apparently no sperm that have reduced motility or non-progressive motility. This is impossible. There will always be a range of motility from barely moving to swimming in circles, then poorly active, moderately and rapidly moving sperm. It would never be the case that the only motile sperm were all very motile.

The figure for normality, ie morphology(shape) seems to be saying that only 10% of the sperm are normal (I don't understand the expression 'numeric value supplied', when clearly the figure for the actual sperm numbers has not been supplied) But depending upon the criteria used by this laboratory to measure the morphology this result is either normal (Kruger Criteria: normal range around 8%-15%) or a slightly low (WHO criteria: normal range 20%-40%).

So it is difficult to be precise with the information available, but the sperm quality appears to be low-normal, and the sperm concentration (count)unknown. However it is 10 months since this test and the current situation could very well be much different. You urgently need to have a proper semen analysis done soon, in order to judge the contribution to your delay in conceiving contributed by the male situation.

Let me know when you can get some further figures for the semen picture.

Kind regards,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 12:19am

lol

we didnt understand it either, i posted exactly as its says on the print out they gave us, she did tell us yest what his last one said 4 weeks ago but cant remember, something about 50% ok last set was 48% so that was up, dont know what that was for 5.4 and 3% good but said they sent them to a diff hospital to be tested which would make it low but if tested there it would be higher then that and she wasnt worried. she also said that his last set said 13% not sure if it would make the 3% go up to 13% though, the test she looked at was from 2005 and the set i posted up top was his last set from the doctors.we was not happy about them sending it away as they cant even say how long it was from paul handing them in to them getting there and tested ( i know its 40 mins drive if not an hr at least ) he was told they had to be there an with in an hr so did at same place he handed in for them to send them out , thought it was stupid my self.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 12:26am

RE: lol

Hi again,

These latest figures you have been quoted do little to clarify the situation, and there seems to be some doubt even in the consultant's mind about the accuracy of these figures.

You need to have a proper evaluation done by a fertility unit, a fertility-minded laboratory, or a reputable private clinical laboratory; and be given a proper copy of the results.

If you need any help in getting this, let me know and we can discuss how to organise this.

Keep in touch.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 12:37am

hi

glad its not just us then lol

thanks, we have been told of a clinic but from the little we can find on it its about £140 for the test and with just one wage coming in and full bills ect to pay its £140 we simply dont have on top of every thing else we are doing right now but we hope to do it around oct if we can do it before then and get better paper work i will post again here if not will post when we do get results .

thanks for your time, have a good weekend x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lealovespaul09" (Aug 22nd 2009, 12:38am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE