You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Looney" started this thread

Reg: Jul 6th 2009

Children: 5 yr old dd after 5 yrs trying to conceive

Monday, August 17th 2009, 12:27pm

Negative opk after scan showing follies

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody can answer this question for me. I had a IUI booked for this week but on my day 10 scan it showed 4 follicles. One of 19.5mm, one of 16mm and two of 13-14mm. The consultant cancelled my IUI for this cycle saying it was too risky for a multiple birth. I have done an OPK test every morning since my scan and all have been negative, not one smiley face. I am on cycle day 15 now so surely the largest follicle would have matured enough by now for ovulation to occur. If so, why still the negative tests? Thank you.

9 months Clomid 150mg
IUI June 2009 :BFN:
IUI July 2009 :BFN:
IUI Aug 2009 Cancelled cycle
IUI Sept 2009 :BFN:

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Monday, August 17th 2009, 7:49pm

I dont know much about IUI but i know with some people opk's just dont work , have you used them before and did they work then ??? I personally have never had them work for me even with the cycle i got pregnant with my son i never had a single posative when i clearly ovualted...

someone will proberly come along with some better and more scientific answers than me but i wanted you to know that its not uncommon for them not to work and not to get to worried about it..

sorry i couldnt be of more help

xxx
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 12:13am

RE: Negative opk after scan showing follies

Hi,

Unless you have a short cycle, a 19.5 mm follicle seems unusally large for day 10, and should have gone on to ovulate. However several things may have happened. even though you have been testing every day since day 10, you might have ovulated spontaneously soon after this, say day 11, and just missed the LH (ovulation kit) surge, which can sometimes only be detected for 1 day. If you made love a couple of times between day 10 and 15 however then you will have got the timing right and could already be pregnant. Alternatively you might not have ovulated this cycle, especially if they have not given you the final LH injection to cause follicular rupture, and you don't normally ovulate spontaneously.

Finally as treezuk has suggested the kit may not have detected your LH surge. It is possible to have an LH surge that is below the kit range for ovulation, but which did happen and could still be enough to rupture that largest, and any other maturing follicle. This is why it is important always to make love regularly throughout the cycle and not just rely on the kit or other signs to tell you when to do so. Regular ejaculation keeps the sperm number and quality at their best and also makes such that there are always sperm inside of you waiting for whenever an egg does appear, even an unexpected one!

If you could get the unit to do another scan this will tell you what has happened.

Good luck in the meantime.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "Looney" started this thread

Reg: Jul 6th 2009

Children: 5 yr old dd after 5 yrs trying to conceive

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 9:01am

Thank you so much for replying Treezuk and Paul. I really appreciate it. I did another test this morning and I had a smiley face at last :smile: Paul, my cycle is 31 days and that is why I thought something was strange, having a follicle that was 19.5 on day 10!! I was worried because I'm naturally anovulatory so have 150mg clomid and have the HCG to release the follicle. Because this time my IUI was cancelled and I wasn't given the pregnyl to inject myself I thought I might not be producing a big enough LH surge to release them. Paul, do you think they would have kept on growing and would they still be viable follicles? Thank you.

9 months Clomid 150mg
IUI June 2009 :BFN:
IUI July 2009 :BFN:
IUI Aug 2009 Cancelled cycle
IUI Sept 2009 :BFN:

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 5:50pm

Hi again,

Your surge fits in well with your usual cycle which is reassuring

There is no reason why one (or more) of your follicles should not still be viable.

So do your test as soon as it feels right to, and let us know.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE