You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 11:14am

Tummy Time

This may sound like a silly question but I haven't put lo on her tummy much so when I do occasionally she's not used to it. It doesn't seem to bother her (she doesn't cry-she probably can't when he face is on her mat!) she lifts her head up very slightly but not much and I'm wondering if I should be doing it more to get her used to it and make her neck muscles stronger.

I know it sounds daft but by me not doing it much am I hindering her development. I know I sound silly but I just think these things to myself and have to ask!

She has a mirror toy that is called tummy time but I haven't used it yet. I may start using it and seeing if she takes any notice.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 11:51am

Most babies dislike it at first because they don't have the neck muscles to lift up their heads so lie face down and get frustrated. The more times she's on her tum the more head control she'll develop and the more likely she is to accept it. Being on their tummies helps them to work out things like rolling over and crawling so it's good to give her the opportunity.

There's no set time for being on her tummy so if she's only happy there for half a minute at a time then just regularly try her for that amount of time.

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 6:44pm

I didn't do it much with either of my girls to start with as with their reflux issues it didn't make for much fun for anyone!

BUT, we saw a physio with DD2 (about unrelated stuff) who told me to make sure she 'slept on her back but played on her front'. She said even a minute, 3 times a day, to start with was a good place to begin and gradually build it up.

Doesn't take long til they get used to it - and then the fun begins!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 8:58pm

Hmm, being the terrible mother that I am, I decided with Lochlan that I wasn't gonna bother with tummy time, I didn't do it with any of the others, (it wasn't known of back then!) and they didn't seem bothered at all by it and it didn't hold them back at all. I figured with L that it might stop him from getting going so early if I delayed the muscle strengthening tummy time thing. Ahem, I know, how terrible am I wanting to actually DELAY my baby getting moving! lol. So much for my plan of action as he rolled over from 3 and a half months, and he is sort of semi mobile by pushing his knees up under him and shuffling along now. His muscles have developed astonishingly fast since he began to roll over although he still doesn't really like being on his tum, and it is a nightmare with his reflux as it makes him sick too.

So if you don't bother with tummy time, don't think you are doing a bad thing, babies develop when they do, and generations of kids whose mums had never heard of tummy time have grown up into fully fledged walking talking adults in spite of it!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 10:00pm

Hi PM

I used to give tummy time whenever we changed a nappy - it was an easy way to remember to do it a few times a day. It's also a really useful way for being able to do up buttons on the back of clothes :D

I heard the 'sleep on back, play on front' thing like Jodie said and we did do a lot of tummy time. Interestingly now baby bubble chooses to sleep on her front and play on her back!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 10:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrs_smiff I figured with L that it might stop him from getting going so early if I delayed the muscle strengthening tummy time thing. Ahem, I know, how terrible am I wanting to actually DELAY my baby getting moving! lol.
lmao Ahh the temptation of concrete shoes :snigger:

Michelle

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 11:45pm

My dd hated tummy time up until just a couple of weeks ago when she became obsessed with the remote control and took a leap for it every time she saw it, which meant that she ended up on her front :snigger:
She now loves it and doesn't want to be on her back at all!

I'm sure Isobel will like it soon enough. Like you say, she might be more interested if there is a mirror or something interesting to look at.......or if you lie down next to her and chat to her, my dd likes it when i do that!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 9:47am

Quoted

Originally posted by mrs_smiff
Hmm, being the terrible mother that I am, I decided with Lochlan that I wasn't gonna bother with tummy time, I didn't do it with any of the others, (it wasn't known of back then!)

Pretty much Snap! Did it a few times and she hated it! And pretty much the same result. Was rolling early'ish (would have to check diary) and was moving by 6 months so I wouldn't stress out too much

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 11:02am

M used to hate it first so what i used to do is try and put him on his tummy about 3/4 times a day and for aslong as he would take it before he started to get a little grounchy , everytime i tryed to up it by like a minute but it depended on his mood... sometimes he would happily lay there for 20 mins sometimes it was 2 mins but im pleased to say that now he loves it , he proberly spends more time on his belly than anything else , so it will happen i think they have to just realise its not as bad as they think it is and that it has its benifits i/e rolling over , getting places faster , grabbing stuff easier and then there all for it
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 8:38pm

I don't do it as much as I feel I should with DD2, simply because I am busy defending her from her sister's 'affection' a lot of the time, so its reassuring that those of you who haven't done it so much have babies who have developed normally! However I do find putting her on her tum after a wash means she lifts her head right up and I can dry under her chin and prevent that cheesy stuff that babies like to grow under there!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 17th 2009, 10:24am

PM I just saw in another thread that you're worried about flat head syndrome. That's a really good reason for giving I lots of tummy time.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 8:31pm

I didn't do it with DD1 as she hated it I mean she would scream and scream till I moved her back, she never rolled but crawled at 7 months or there abouts quite normal, DD2 I did do it quite alot and she bum shuffles so I don't think it makes too much difference, she held her head really early too.

I agree with Bubble about the flat head issue the more you can keep them off their heads the better or invest in a doomoo they mould round the head.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE