You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Addy

Ace

• "Addy" started this thread

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Monday, August 10th 2009, 9:39pm

Bit of advice about the size of our baby

Just wondering if anybody had any advice. I know Jensqui has had some experience with this, and I hope you don't mind Jensqui that I've sent you a PM, but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced it. We're currently 9+4 with twins. Twin 1 is spot on with dates and has been for the three scans we've had. Twin 2 is behind by a week and has been consistently. Today it was behind 8 days and was measuring 8+3, however I'm not certain she got the marker on the very end of the baby. In any case, what is certain is that it's way different to twin 1 and you can see a massive difference when she turns the probe round to see number 2.

I'm just worried about it developmentally. Does anyone have any experience of what happens in this situation, not just twins, but with a single that is behind. Does it mean that it's abnormal as it's not developing in line with its dates? Should I seek advice from a consultant? Am I likely to lose it? Or should I stop panicking and let nature take its course? It's so hard as you just want healthy babies. I know that if this was the only one in there, I'd be worrying that it was going to miscarry at any moment. You think you've achieved something with IVF and then you get other hurdles.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice that you might have.

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

• "Loopylala" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 23rd 2009

Children: Twins Roo & Seb

Monday, August 10th 2009, 9:58pm

Hi Addy My Sebastian was always measured as behind Ruby, and when they were born she was 6 pounds 12 and he was 5 pounds 7, also it's really difficult to scan two wriggly babies in a tummy especially when you think how big they are at the moment. Did the sonographer say you should be worried??? I think if they were concerned they would have got the consultant in to chat with you anyway, I would try not to worry at the moment (hard I know) and I bet at the next scan things will have changed, good luck hun xxxx

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, August 10th 2009, 10:14pm

Hi Addy mine the same J was always behind for dates and lightest born 4lb 10oz M was 6lb 5oz BUT J was the born the healthiest and reached all his milestones 1st. :D
x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One miracle growing big in my belly :-)

Monday, August 10th 2009, 10:26pm

I dont have any adive on twins but with my current single pregnancy the doctor and I knew that the baby was a week behind, only b/c my DH was traveling for work and we only got to BD once...which was May 2nd. and on May 12th, i received positive pregnancy test and HCG of only 88... so we knew it was from the May 2nd. I went for an U/S 3 weeks later as I should have been 8+4, baby was only 7+4. the doctors werent too concerned b/c the heartbeat was high and at the next U/S the baby was growing fine...but always a week behind. I am now 16 weeks and thinking everything is going to be just fine. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that your LO is well.
Me24 DH26
TTC 2 year

one little angel in heaven xoxoxo

May 09' Natural- :BFP:
Its a BOY baby7

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, August 10th 2009, 10:31pm

Twins ..but worried
Similar thread. x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, August 10th 2009, 11:05pm

Hi Addy,
Was the sonographer concerned?
If she was, she should have taken 3 measurements and let you know if she could see the baby in the right plane. If the baby is at a slight angle, the measurements can be off. One of my little ones was 4 days small at one point, but the doctor couldn't get a good view (my bladder was too full) and he didn't think he was measuring in the right plane.

It sounds to me that is a good sign that the little twin has always been little, it may be a sign of implanting later. I think it would be more worrying if they had always been the same size, and then suddenly one was 8 days smaller than the other.

Definitely don't panic. I don't think a consultant can help much, waiting is probably the best thing you can do, but also the hardest... Perhaps another scan might help? A private, high resolution scan where you can tell them your concerns and you can make sure they measure your little one three times. EPU might also do this for you if you tell them how worried you are, it might be worth a try.

I hope that helps a little, and lots of love to you and both your little ones,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Addy

Ace

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 5:35pm

Hi there and thanks for getting back to me. I have to shoot in a mo as I'm babysitting tonight and have to pick the little 'uns up from nursery.

Thanks for all the support. I know that from the difference in each scan, twin 2 is so much smaller than twin 1, though it has consistently been a week behind. It's just so hard to wait, though I know another scan will just show me what I already know. I feel like I'm stuck in a kind of limbo. I honestly feel that we've got one very healthy baby and one unhealthy baby. It's really hard to get out of anyone what your options are.

Will post more tomorrow as I have to shoot now

Cheers all

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 10:06am

Hi Addy,
It might be hard to get a straight answer because nature plus time usually takes care of things. There aren't any tests that can be done at this stage to give an answer. It makes it so very difficult!

If you are right, if one of the babies is unhealthy, then you may have a vanishing twin. The risk of vanishing twin is about 1 in 5, so pretty common, and the outcome for the healthy baby is very good. The risk of an unhealthy baby surviving to a later stage in pregnancy and causing problems to the healthy baby is far less common.

If both babies are healthy, they may just always be different sizes, or the littler one may catch up with the bigger sibling.

Are you planning on having the nuchal scan? Its usually recommended for twin pregnancies because later screening tests aren't accurate.

I hope both your little ones are healthy Addy, and that your next scan is reassuring so you can put your feet up (if Harry will let you!) and enjoy this pregnancy.

Take good care,
M
x

My Diary

Addy

Ace

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 8:43pm

Cheers Mavis,

We have our next scan next Thursday (20th). I will be exactly 11 weeks then. It's just an NHS dating scan at my local doctor's so I'm not too sure about the equipment. In all honesty, I'm not expecting anything amazing from them, however that was my first tummy scan with Harry and I saw the baby side on and kicking. I've never really seen that on the internal scans (possibly because the babies have been too small) I'm hoping they can get some good measurements though.

We have booked an OSCAR at our local BUPA and I had one done there last time with the consultant that we're seeing this time. His bedside manner was great and I think he may be the best person to speak to. He may pay special attention to this baby if I tell him my fears. We are also having a nuchal on the NHS. I know this seems greedy but they don't do the OSCAR and they offer you the nuchal. I know that I'll see a consultant on that day so it's a second opinion I'll be getting.

With baby number 2, I've always felt it was in an awkward position. They wouldn't have found it one the first scan had it not been for such a thorough check and her really shifting that probe about. I'm certain my normal nurse would never have found it. On our 2nd scan, again it was in an awkward position and you have to really look for it. It was slightly more obvious on this last, but it still hides behind number 1. I've seen scan pictures of twins in their sacs side by side. Mine are completely hiding behind one another and it's always the big twin that comes up on the screen first. I'm hoping they've not been able to get good measurements of it and they could be slightly out. There's no mistaking however that they are different. You can see it when the probe is moved suddenly. You go from one big baby to one a lot smaller.

As you've suggested, only waiting can tell me. I only have just over a week to go until I get to know a bit more. There will be one of 4 things; it's fallen behind, it's caught up a little, remained a week behind or has died. More than anything, I just want it to be healthy and I'm hoping the OSCAR might give me the answers.

Will definitely keep you informed. Thanks for all your support.

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 9:37pm

Me again Addy,
I just thought I should mention they completely missed one baby at my first scan (5w6d) and there is always one baby they can't get a good view of, I am assuming it is the same one.
I think being only able to get a good view of one baby is very common thing in twin pregnancy. At one of my scans (I've had 6 so far so lots to compare :rolleyes:) the doctor only measured the easy one, and just checked for a heart beat in the hidden one.
But I appreciate it must be worrying when you can see the difference in size yourself.
I am keeping everything crossed that both your babies are healthy and that the OSCAR will give you some answers.
blowkiss
M
x

My Diary

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 9:41pm

P.s Me yet again!
Thought I would add that both my little ones had low risks from their nuchal scans (1 in 8000 ish). It is early days and the nuchal is not diagnostic, but I hope it shows that late and little doesn't necessarily mean game over.

My Diary

Addy

Ace

Thursday, August 13th 2009, 9:45pm

No definitely not. You've been a great help Mavis. I've quite relaxed over these last few days about it. On Monday and Tuesday I was a complete wreck. I'm going to try to chill until we have our 12+5 week scan. We have a consultation then so may get some more information. Plus, we've got another scan next week so I'm hoping a tummy scan might show us baby 2 in a better light.

Will keep you all updated with our progress. Am keeping my fingers crossed.

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 12:57pm

Hi Addy

I'll be thinking of you next week for your scan,hope everything goes well.

Take care

xxxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE