You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

FC79

Ace

• "FC79" started this thread

Reg: May 19th 2009

Sunday, August 9th 2009, 5:44pm

Question about testicular biopsy.

Hello, I hope someone can help advise me as we cant get hold of our urologist at the moment.

My husband has done a few SA on the NHS, all came back just saying less than 1 million and he was booked in for a testicular biopsy. We since saw a fertility clinic privately and the SA result came back as 2 million per ml. The consultant said there would now be no need for a biopsy as there is more than enough sperm in the sample to use for ICSI. My questions are:

1) If he turns down the biopsy on the NHS will that affect our IVF being funded on the NHS?

2) If he goes ahead with the biopsy is there any risk of it disturbing anything/infecting anything that could affect his future sperm production? Obviously after being so happy that he has got sperm we dont want to do anything that might ruin that.

Thanks, any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Ps he needs to be circumcised anyway so will still be having the general anaesthetic whether he has the biopsy or not. The urologist also wants to inject some dye in to check for blockages.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Sunday, August 9th 2009, 7:48pm

RE: Question about testicular biopsy.

Quoted

Originally posted by FC79

1) "If he turns down the biopsy on the NHS will that affect our IVF being funded on the NHS?" - I can't see why this should be the case - you still need IVF, biopsy or not.

2) "If he goes ahead with the biopsy is there any risk of it disturbing anything/infecting anything that could affect his future sperm production? Obviously after being so happy that he has got sperm we dont want to do anything that might ruin that." - There are always risks with something as invasive as a testicular biopsy, of bleeding or of infection. It is highly unlikely however that either of these will result in permanent damage to the testicular tissue. But talk to the Urologist about your concerns and be reassured by him.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FC79

Ace

• "FC79" started this thread

Reg: May 19th 2009

Sunday, August 9th 2009, 8:41pm

Thank you for your reply. I think he would prefer not to have it anyway if its not really needed so as long as it wont affect the IVF funding we might say no to the biopsy. We will talk to the urologist when we can. Thanks again.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE