You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ML80MD

• "ML80MD" started this thread

Reg: Jul 29th 2009

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 11:12pm

Low sperm count - what does this mean??

Hi ya

I'm new to the site and am full of questions!
We ve been trying for a baby for just over a year with no success so went to doctors for some tests. I have 2 children from a previous marriage and have had bloods done which were all ok. My husband however has found out today that his sperm count is low and the doctor is referring us to fertility clinic. However this Is all we know, no idea how many mobility ect.

I've read lots on forums already and I know it says that diet, vitamins ect can help but question one is-

is anyone else in same position and what happens next!?! Are we talking diet and medication or ivf ect?

Question 2- if it did result in ivf - does anyone know anything about the critera for newforest area for ivf?

Any feedback would be appreciated
ML80MD

Reg: Jul 15th 2009

Children: one perfect little girl

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 4:11pm

Hi ML80MD,

sorry to hear your bad news, but don't panic just yet.

my DH has also just received a not so great SA result. infact it had no sperm in there! the test was very basic that he did at a hospital but now we've seen the consultant at the hospital that will now deal with us he is to have another test that is more high tech! maybe that is what they will suggest your DH has. they certainly will get him to do further tests. now u have been referred to the fertility clinic they will do all the necassary tests and repeats SA that is necassary. they will advice u of ivf /icsi if they think it is necassary.

as for diet etc. we were told by the consultant on our 1st appt that neither of us should be having more than 5 units of alcohol a week (thats 2.5 pints of low strength lager to my DH's dismay!), smoking is a no, no. and plenty of fruit, veg and water is what we are trying to get him some swimmers! my DH is finding the alcohol thing really hard though! if u take vitamins for pre-conception they may help and also my DH has started eating lots of pumpkin and sunflower seeds. all these things are supposed to improve sperm quality - they certainly can't so any harm.

hope this helps, and good luck.

BooBoo

1st ICSI :BFN: ;(
2nd ICSI :BFP: happydance

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 4:15pm

Hi

Hi - welcome to FZ!

Try not to panic about your results yet, my hubby got bad sperm results and we got through it. You will too.

First up, it would be fab if you could get your actual results. Even if it's just the main three measures: count (how many sperm), motility (how many are moving/swimming around) and morphology (what shape they are). Then either Paul or "Sperm Scientist" can comment on that for you. They're "in the trade" :snigger: and know what they're talking about.

Referal to a fertility centre is good news, they'll be able to help you there. If the count is just a bit off normal they'll probably suggest diet and health changes (smoking and drinking will have to go to start with I'm afraid!) and then after that they can start to look at other options. Like IUI and IVF - dependent on the number of sperm and how they're looking. You're off to the best place, to see the best people. Try not to worry.

In terms of funding and waiting lists for treatment, you probably need to have a hunt around your PCT's website. That will give you a good idea.

Good luck, keep us up to date.

Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

• "I'm hopeful" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 13th 2008

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 7:23pm

The wessex in southampton is your closest private hospital, but you will be referred to Princess Anne. I have had to ICSI due to low sperm count feel free to email me and ask any questions, as you won't be able to acces pm's until you have made 25 posts.

Hope this helps xx

It's Twins!!

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Friday, July 31st 2009, 11:30am

RE: Hi

Hi to you and welcome to FZ from me also.

As has already been said, it is far too soon to panic or be talking about IVF. Many men have a problem sperm picture the first time, but then go on to have a better one in subsequent specimens. And many men with sperm problems are still fertile, and will get a pregnancy without IVF providing their partners are fertile enough to compensate for the sperm problem. It may take a little while longer (one in ten of all pregnancies to fertile couples takes more than 12 months), or require a little help for him or his partner, but they get there.

But you need to have further tests and to get the figures for the results on both him and you. You are part of the overall picture, and if your fertility can be enhanced a little that might be all it takes.

Keep in touch and get some data for us talk about.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE