You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jools1978" started this thread

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Wednesday, July 22nd 2009, 7:56pm

Help Please

I went for my follow up yesterday and the consultant said we are going to have another go as we have as much chance of it working as we did first time around. He then said they struggled to find good sperm (hubby had failed vas reversal) but they got some in the end. Now we ended up with 4 fertilised embies. Am I right in saying that if sperm was really bad that it wouldn't have fertilised my egg?

Just a worry for me at moment so any help and advice would be appreciated. xxxx
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 8:07pm

RE: Help Please

Hi,

If you are having ICSI then it does not matter how 'bad' the sperm are - how abnormal a shape or even if totally immotile, if the chromosome content is normal then it is possible to get eggs fertilised and embryos. It is only the chromosome content of the egg and the sperm combining that determines whether you get fertilisation and embryos. The rest of the shape and motility of the sperm is there to propel this chomosomal material to and into the egg under natural ttc conditions. Equally you can get totally normal looking, active sperm, that do not fertilise eggs or give normal and dividing embryos.

The only proof of a good embryo is that it looks normal, divides normally, implants, and goes on to give a normal baby. But it is a good start that his sperm were able to give embryos, and as his sperm in past were obviously fertile then things look good. Although sadly, even when they do look good it does not always lead to embryos and pregnancies.

Good luck.

Paul.
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "jools1978" started this thread

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Thursday, July 23rd 2009, 9:14pm

Thanks Paul for your reply.

I know we may not succeed but we have to give it a go
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE