You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

neepio

• "neepio" started this thread

Reg: Jun 26th 2008

Children: 1 step-son

Monday, July 13th 2009, 11:18am

Hysteroscopy & fibroid removal

I was due to start IVF this month but a U/S last month showed the fibroid in my uterus wall possibly protruding into the cavity, so they're going in to take another look next week (but if it is, they won't remove it on the day, bizarrely). My Q is, has anyone had fibroids removed before starting IVF? Did you have to wait for a while to recover before IVF could start?
Any feedback welcomed.
Neepio

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, July 13th 2009, 11:26am

Hi hun

I know that a couple of the team have had fibroids, I will ask them to come into your thread

In the meantime here are a couple of threads which may help

Fibroid discovered at Basline scan

Fibroid info??? anyone know anything

INFO: ROUGH GUIDE TO FIBROIDS

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

neepio

Monday, July 13th 2009, 11:51am

Thanks Eeyore - really helpful info.
Neepio

Calypso

Superstar

Monday, July 13th 2009, 11:52am

Hi Neepio
I'm sorry you're having problems with a fibroid - they are quite literally a pain aren't they!

I have had a fibroid removed and am about to have another investigated too! They are painless and, straightforward procedures, and nothing to worry about.

Not all fibroids affect fertility, but if they are in the wall of the womb they can affect the embryo's chances of implanting. It is difficult for doctors to see the exact position of a fibroid just using normal ultrasound techniques, so they may be doing another type of ultrasound next week. simply to locate your fibroid more precisely. This cannot entail an operative procedure though.

After this, they may recomend a hysterscopy, which is when they have a good look at your womb lining with a camera, and are also able to resect any fibroids or polyps at the time if necessary.

This is usually done vaginally, so no incision. Very occasionally they may need to go through the tummy, but not very often.

You can usually start IVF a couple of months after a fibroid resection - you need to have had a normal period first.

Hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to PM me any time if you've got any questions.

Good luck!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

neepio

Monday, July 13th 2009, 12:00pm

Thanks Calypso, very helpful info. I didn't even know I had them until hysteroscopy #1 last June, but they reassured me it was 'in the wall' so nothing to worry about. My baseline scan at the IVF clinic was inconclusive though, hence hysteroscopy #2 next week - no anaesthetic though so they're only looking, and won't fix anything they find on the day - so if it needs to come out, that's another delay - they're doing my head in! We're getting married at the end of this year and didn't want to be on a downer for that if our first IVF hadn't worked, so it looks like we won't be able to start until next year...
Neepio

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE