You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

deedee1

• "deedee1" started this thread

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 8:12pm

Low motility after Heart attack?

Hi

I was wondering if someone (probably Paul!!) could answer a question for me.

DH and I have been TTc for over 3 years and have undergone a year of ICSI/FET's. One of our problems is DH's motility which tested over a year ago at 10% motility (count was high though). Last FET was initially successful.

Less than a month ago, my healthy, fit, not overweight DH had a heart attack and less than a week later I miscarried at almost 12 weeks. Thankfully, DH is on the mend and we are now going to try ourselves for the next few months as I believe my fertility problems have been sorted (AF's back on track and immune issues sorted).

My real question is - Will DH's heart attack have a further negative impact on his sperm count/motility and will the drugs he's on also impact - he's on a statin for cholesterol, beta blockers - plavix I think, aspirin, arginine and cardicor. I have also slipped a zinc supplement in there for good measure.

He has had to drastically change his lifestyle - stopped smoking, much less stress (he hasd his own business and would have been constantly stressed/anxious), at least 30 minutes cardio exercise per day, a diet rich in veg, oily fish etc. ironically, these are the things he should have been doing to improve his sperm motility - will these help now and if so how long will the changes take to manifest themselves?

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can help. Its been a tough June :sadface:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 8:17pm

RE: Low motility after Heart attack?

:hugs:

can't really help with the specifics, but I believe that any changes would take at least 3 months to show. You might want to post a question on the sperm scientist thread?

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Aug 28th 2007

Children: One due in Jan, 10.

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 10:15am

Sorry for the rough time you have had recently. I have an inkling that b-blockers can cause impotence. if he is on them you might want to see your GP for alternative antihypertensive medication if possible. Maybe his cardiologist may want him on b-blockers for a bit longer. But it might be worth going to GP with a list of his medication and what affects it will have on his fertility or read through the leaflet you get with the medication. Found a link:
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Beta-Blockers.htm
BTW, Plavix is not b-blocker. It is clopidogrel, a new blood thinning agent. Did your DH have an Angio? Cardicor- bisoprolol is the b-blocker. Here's what I found on internet:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000408.html
But again it is always best to discuss the information you get on net with your doctor as they are guys with experience and knowledge. Is he due to see his cardiologist soon?

deedee1

• "deedee1" started this thread

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 11:49am

Hi Rightans,

Thanks for that. The beta Blocker has most definitely not caused impotence!!! If anything, DH's brush with death has turned him into "up for it anytime"....

His cardiologist did mention about the impotence but as I said earlier this is not a problem. DH did have an angioplasty and had 2 stents insterted into the blocked artery. Thankfully they seem to have worked as he is experiencing no pain anymore - that was an issue at the time as the blockage was hardened.

Hi is seeing his cardiologist tomorrow actually so I'll get him to ask then.

Thanks for the links - I'll look up now.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, July 13th 2009, 12:06am

Hi Deedee,

What a calamity for you both. I am sorry.

There may be a brief reduction in his sperm picture, which as has been said, he might not see for three-four months after this cardiac episode. It would hardly be surprising to find the stress of that time has impaired sperm production. This is one of the physiological functions that the mind shuts down in time of stress in order to deal with the more important issues.

But he should recover fully even if there is a couple of months of 'down time'. None of his drugs sound like problems for spermatogenesis and as he seems to have recovered his spirits! - then things look quite bright.

Keep us in touch.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 7 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE