You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "aramass" started this thread

Reg: May 9th 2009

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 6:54pm

Would love some feedback

Hello
We;ve been ttc for nearly 18 months. REally trying hard for about 9 of those. Decided to go for testing in January and got the results back yesterday. I was convinced there would be something wrong but they are as follows:

SA: concentration 57 mill
Motility 68%
Volume 2.1 ml
Abnormal 84%

My FSH levels were 5.2.

I've been researching the results and they look pretty good and I've been ecstatic as I was convinced there'd be something wrong. The thing is the RE has told me that he suspects endo. This isn't based on any of my results he just said that he can find no other explanation. As the results were normal he says that I should go straight for a LAP rather than an HSG.

Does this sound right that he's adviseing this? He also says that if they don't find endo then it's straight to IVF.

Should I be optimistic about my results or is being 'unexplained' another whole new ball game? I hope I"m making sense, I'm not making much sense of situation myself!! Please advise!
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 7:05pm

RE: Would love some feedback

Hi there!

Okay, you sound as if you're in a similar place to where we were just over 2.5 years ago. Although my partner's SA results weren't as good as yours with below average motility and morphology we were still put in the unexplained category. My cons also advised a lap & dye even though I didn;t have any endo symptoms. Some consultants wouldn;t agree with that approach but, personally, I was happy to have a lap & dye if only to rule another potential explanation out.

As it happened only a tiny amount of mild endo was found and lasered and my cons said that it wouldn;t have been affecting my fertility. Although, 3 months after the lap I did conceive for the first time. There are, in fact, some studies that have shown that even if no problems are found the conception rate for unexplained people can be slightly higher within 6 months of a lap.

Some people feel very disappointed when they are put in the unexplained category. I know I was for a little while, but, honestly, it is a good place to be - it means that you still have a very good chance of conceiving naturally. Of course, the doctors will openly admit that they don;t know all of the causes of infertility and it may be that there is a reason, but one that they don;t know and have a test for (yet!). The good news is that, IVF works for a lot of unexplained infertility couples if you do go down that route. Some people are advised to try IUI before IVF as it is less invasive. Again we were advised to go straight to IVF rather than IUI mainly because the two consultants we saw felt that the IUI success rate was low in comparison and we would expend a lot of emotional energy on IUI and then still be likely to need IVF. I guess that is a personal choice.

As you can see from my sig, we haven't yet been lucky enough to have a baby, but since that first conception we have been on a roll and have not needed IVF. That was after trying for over two years before conceiving the first time so please don;t give up!

xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 7:12pm

Wow a quick reply! Aww, thanks for your reply, that's so helpful and so reassuring.

It's funny as I was totally elated yesterday as I have a policy of expecting the worse! When we got the results I nearly cried with relief. I've now had time to digest it and have decided that yes, it is positive as at least the basics are in working order but still feel like I'm walking into the unknown!

It's all just as mysterious as ever. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to this ttc business. Sigh.

Are things ok with you?? I've just seen your sig but you say you've had no luck yet...

Thanks again for such an understanding reply and best of luck to you!
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 7:16pm

happy to help!

4 m/cs and a lot of tests later over the last 2 years and still notihng wrong has been found. I'm now just over 6 weeks into my 5th pregnancy and, fingers crossed, we have just been unlucky before and this is THE ONE!!

good luck xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 7:45pm

So so pleased to hear that.
You're the same age as me too. Go the 35 year olds! Best of luck and thanks again for your helpful words. You've given me hope.

xx
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, May 13th 2009, 11:42pm

Hi Jensqui--just wanted to send you lots and lots of sticky vibes ?( don't know how to get the smiley for that!!!
Chris xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE