You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rainbow" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 8:21pm

help!?

history-df had an op aged 10 for undesended testicles,was diagnosed with azoospermia after 1 sa in july 08 blood tests all came back fine and he was reffered to urologist who the refferd him for a scan..phew!

so today we went to see the urologist to get ultrasound results and repeat blood test results...what a waste of time seen a different consultant till last time this one wasnt very nice said scan was fine so i asked if it had shown any blockages-he says with a patronising smile ultrasound does not detect blockages!? ok then onto blood tests...everything is fine oh actually fsh is slightly high.He then asked if we had been to the fertility clinic in cardiff and i said well no our gp said you would refer us had to ask him twice then if he would send the refferal.Sorry for long post basically want to know what affect the fsh level will have on sperm and is there anything they can do to lower it, thanks guys sorry for babbling xxx
Dh-Azoospermia...waiting to start our DIUI journey

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 8:48pm

RE: help!?

Hi Rainbow,

I would have thought that the point of the ultrasound scan on DH was to examine the seminal tract. Rectal ultrasound done carefully and expertly can determine the state of the vas and other parts of the tract.

The FSH level is a good indication of why there are no sperm in the semen. A high value, greater than 12 indicates that there is a testical failure, what you would have expected in undescended testicular problems. IA normal level, under 12 indicates a blockage to the release of sperm. There will be some overlap between these figures, as when there has been a prolonged blockage then this interferes with the sperm production and the FSH rises, even though the original reason for the problem was a blockage.

So it is not that the FSH damages the sperm production it is that a damaged sperm production causes a rise in FSH. If you can get the actual hormone values it would be useful, but it does sound as if you need to be referred as soon as possible to a proper fertility unit, who will work with you both and communicate the results to you effectively.

Good luck, and keep in touch.
Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "rainbow" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 8:52pm

thank you paul i I know it's hard to say but what do you think the chances are of finding any sperm through a biopsy with these results x
Dh-Azoospermia...waiting to start our DIUI journey

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 8:58pm

It is really hard to say, Rainbow as every case is different and there are no clues as to what you may find. But the chances of finding sperm are a lot better than nil, therefore it is well worth going through.

Keep us in touch, and keep your hopes up.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE