You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ejgroves

• "ejgroves" started this thread

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: DD 3yrs 6months, DS 21 months

Monday, April 27th 2009, 11:48am

Could count be wrong?

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering what the chances are of a semen analysis being wrong?

This is our situation; two kids aged 3yrs 6mths and 22mnths, D&C following blighted ovum @ 9weeks April 2008 and M/C @ 8 weeks Feb 2009.

Because of the recent losses we decided to go to a fertility clinic for a check up and see if there is any underlying problem ( I am 37 in November and as we want more kids decided best not to wait too long for help.) Everything came back fine with me but my DH had poor count, only 11million/ml, 45% motility, 5% rapid, 30% slow, 10% sluggish, 90% abnormal.

Dr said she was amazed that we'd managed to get pregnant 4 times in 4 years with this result and thought could be a mistake. DH repeated test 10 days later and had even worse result 2million/ml, 25% motility, 0% rapid, 10% slow, 15% sluggish, 95% abnormal. We were then told that ICSI is our only hope.

Is it normal than the results can fluctuate so dramatically in such a short space of time and if so what could cause this? DH actually had to have the test done in Egypt where he's seconded with work as was unable to travel with me to UK for appointment. We wondered on the off chance whether the poor results could be something to do with the lab?? I know it's sounds a bit extreme but we are in total shock with the news that ICSI is our only hope and have no idea where we would be able to get reliable treatment like his in Egypt.

DH now taking selenium, zinc and vits E&C to try and improve things.

Does anyone have any experience of a situation like this? Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
Emma

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Monday, April 27th 2009, 1:14pm

Hi Emma

I'm not sure about the actual statistics regarding motility etc but my DP has had 3 different semen tests before we went on to IVF and each result came back different. The first one didn't look good at all and we actually thought that it would be male factor infertility. The second done at our actual clinic was much better and the last one was super sperm!! And, the actual sample on the day of E/C also went on to fertilise 9 eggs (out of 14)!

I really haven't got first hand experience or anything, but you never know, your DH may need testing again and there's always a chance it could be better.

Hope all goes well for you.
xx LEAH xx

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, April 27th 2009, 1:37pm

Hi Emma,

The first SA my DH had, showed he just had a count of 2 million per ml, but now it's about 14 or 15 million in the tests when we do ICSI. I don't think a miracle happened but he was exceptionally unwell about 3 months before the first test, with colds, manflu, infections and tonsilitis, so I think that well being makes a huge difference. Like you we managed one natural pregnancy (but it miscarried) and I don't know how we did that at all!
I'm glad your DH is on the selenium now, and keep him eating and sleeping well and you might see a difference. Best of luck x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 11:06pm

RE: Could count be wrong?

Hi Emma,

Semen values can vary a great deal from week to week and month to month, even in a healthy and fertile man. But results also can be wron or done badly by laboratories.

If there was some genuine reason for his sperm count and quality to be reduced then it is not surprising that these two are both poor. If he has had any health problems, viruses, stress, chemical or toxin contact then it will take three months or more for the sperm picture to recover. So he will not know his true value until a retest in 3 months times, nor will he see the maximum benefit from his zinc etc before this length of time.

A very common reason for a reduced sperm picture is over-heating, either due to being over weight, having too many, to hot baths or showers, having enlarged varicose veins in the scrotum, wearing his clothes too tight, and over course working in too hot an environment - like Egypt perhaps? He needs to look into this and go to great lengths to reduce testicular overheating. This could make a large difference, i have see great improvements with men working in the middle east suffering in this way.

So don't despair - and get him to cool down.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

ejgroves

• "ejgroves" started this thread

Reg: Apr 21st 2009

Children: DD 3yrs 6months, DS 21 months

Monday, May 4th 2009, 8:38am

RE: Could count be wrong?

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering, aside from wearing looser pants what other ways are there to help keep the testicles cool? Unfortunately most of his work is office basd so he spends a lot of time sitting down which I guess can't be helping.

Also he is taking 75mg selenium per day, 15mg zinc, vit c 60mg and vit a 2306 I.U., are these doses high enough or she he think about increasing them.

Many Thanks
Emma

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE