You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ktf1

• "ktf1" started this thread

Reg: Mar 19th 2009

Children: Exeter

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 2:48pm

NHS Constitution and NICE guidance

Hi all,
I'm starting a new thread for this as I'm not sure where to put it, so if the team want to move the post, please feel free.

I'm reading about the new NHS Constitution (work-related activity, not just for fun!). This document is very new - only came out this year, but something caught my eye. Is this something that can be used as extra ammunition to get PCTs to comply wth NICE guidance?

The 'Handbook to the NHS Constitution' (published January 2009) outlines the roles "we all have to play in protecting and developing the NHS and will help you understand [NHS] rights, pledges, values and responsibilities":

Section 2a of the constitution says that "You have the right to drugs and treatments that have been recommended by NICE for use in the NHS, if your doctor says they are clinically appropropriate for you" (p32).

Trusts have a legal obligation to comply with Directions given by the Secretary of State (such as having to comply with NICE guidance) under section 8 of the NHS Act 2006.

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 3:45pm

ktf1 I have looked on westlaw for the section of legislation that you refer to. Section 8 of National Health Service ACt 2006 says the following:

8 Secretary of State's directions to health service bodies

(1) The Secretary of State may give directions to any of the bodies mentioned in subsection (2) about its exercise of any functions.

(2) The bodies are–

(a) Strategic Health Authorities,
(b) Primary Care Trusts,
(c) NHS trusts, and
(d) Special Health Authorities.

(3) Nothing in provision made by or under this or any other Act affects the generality of subsection (1).

What I am unsure about is whether the "handbook" you refer to is actually secretary of state guidance.

However, I think its worth a try so will be writing to my PCT to see what their response is.

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 3:53pm

I just wanted to say that I have read the NICE guidelines and they say:

"you should be offered up to 3 cycles of IVF..."

this means that offering 1 cycle falls within the guidlines. It does not say you must be offered 3 cycles.

ktf1

• "ktf1" started this thread

Reg: Mar 19th 2009

Children: Exeter

Thursday, April 23rd 2009, 12:54pm

I don't know if I'm spot on with this NHS Constitution stuff, but thought it might be worth a try. Let us know how you get on Bravegirl.

Kate xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE